HTC One (M8): The Bezel

DETERMINOLOGY

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: The Bezel

It's hilarious seeing the amount of people having a heart attack about a bit of bezel.

Nexus 5 has a large and useless bottom bezel? No one says anything.

Z1 with huge, useless bezels? No one says anything.

M8 with a bit of bezel above the front facing speaker? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE.

Get over it.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Yea the nexus 5 did have the bottom spaced out bezel that was way out there

TJGEsq

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

If the bezel serves a purpose for the consumer (e.g., needed for internal workings, or perhaps it provides some end benefit that we aren't yet aware of), then it's fine.

If the only purpose of the bezel is to provide a place for HTC to advertise itself, then I agree with those who are turned off by it.

I'm holding off judgment until the m8 is released and it is determined why the bezel is there.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

You know what guys, I WANT that black bar. I can't tell you how many times I hit the bottom of the screen when I used my old galaxy s3. On my HTC One,the capacitive buttons are a bit hard to reach . Using the same design but with onscreen buttons would make it way easier to reach. And I hugely doubt that the black bar would have no function.

Posted via Android Central App
Well I had the HTC One last year and I never had a problem with the buttons being where they were. I also had the GS3, GS4, GN2, GN3 and never hit the buttons in error.

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

Personally, I don't care about that bezel as long as it keeps me from getting a tacky-*** S5 lol

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

I want the biggest screen in the smallest phone along with good specs. I have an S4 and have already decided against the S5 since they have not reduced the bezel and went to on screen buttons. IMO the current LG G2 is a better option and if rumors or correct the G3 should be out in May. The HTC One 2 is a runner up if they maximize the screen/minimize the phone size otherwise I'd still prefer the G2 and the G3 will certainly be better yet. I hope the rumors/leaks about the HTC One 2 are wrong as otherwise it's a nice phone...

zizu101

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Well I had the HTC One last year and I never had a problem with the buttons being where they were. I also had the GS3, GS4, GN2, GN3 and never hit the buttons in error.

The placement is okay but not optimum. It was way easier with a nexus 4 which I used for some time.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC One 2: The Bezel

I actually like the 2 button format on my One

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

I've been one of those making a stink about it. Trying to look on the bright side, as someone noted this might allow for a little larger battery. But the rumored 2900mAh isn't too amazing considering most flagships it seems are now sporting a 3000+mAh juicer.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
2900mAh is a wimpy battery for this phone. I thought the battery on the S5 was a wimp but 2900mAh would be a deal breaker on this phone for me 3300mAh would be a good place for them to start on a new flagship phone. That bezel at the bottom with no home button just a dumb logo is not what anyone wants to see and is inexcusable even in a photo they LET slip out. As far as the buttons go I don't care what they do there, I can get use to what ever they come up with on that.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

The placement is okay but not optimum. It was way easier with a nexus 4 which I used for some time.

I have never had a problem the a home button at the bottom as the SIII and S4 but with the home button as the Nexus 10 has I very often have hit that totally by accident. The Nexus 10 does not have the physical home button.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

I dunno. Looking at all the leaked pics, that bottom section below the actual screen is pretty large amount of wasted space.

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

I dunno. Looking at all the leaked pics, that bottom section below the actual screen is pretty large amount of wasted space.

I just don't think it will make that much of a difference in day to day use. But, we'll have to wait for the reviews to see if that is indeed the case.

antheauxny

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site

I personally do not see a big deal with it.
I think the leaks look great. I find it extremely petty to be outraged over a little bezel.

But people have their preferences. So to each their own...

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

THen my coin is double-tailed Its gross and stupid. Bezel wastes space, and now on screen buttons to waste screen space as well. Great freakin job. Choose one or the other, how hard is it really.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

I just don't think it will make that much of a difference in day to day use. But, we'll have to wait for the reviews to see if that is indeed the case.

I'm sure you're right. But im used to hardly any bezel on my LG Optimus G (becuase the back, home and menu lit keys are built into it)

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

It's hilarious seeing the amount of people having a heart attack about a bit of bezel.

Nexus 5 has a large and useless bottom bezel? No one says anything.

Z1 with huge, useless bezels? No one says anything.

M8 with a bit of bezel above the front facing speaker? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE.

Get over it.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

The Nexus 5 is, no offense, lackluster compared to other flagships so the fact that it had a huge bezel did nothing but push it further out of my radar than it would have been if it was a full edge-to-edge device...

Lackluster Camera, Only a Decent Battery, no Micro-SD Card Slot, little to no useful value-add software or hardware innovations, etc.

Nexus devices aren't mainstream, flagship OEM devices that carriers subsidize *are*. That's why hardly anyone complained about the Nexus. The only people who bothered to talk about it were the target market for the device, and it's a small target market compared to something like the HTC One, Galaxy S4, iPhone 5S, LG G2, New Xperias, etc.

On screen buttons are a waste of screen real-estate and the OS does not handle them gracefully. If they went off screen while in an app and could be bought up with a swipe (similar to the Connection Status and other stuff on Windows Phone) then I wouldn't mind them *at all*. But that space is useless while you're in an app and basically downgrades your effective screen space and screen resolution.

The huge bezels are simply unsightly and make literally no sense to have there. HTC had the most retarded button setup on the One/One Maxx and it's the main reason why I got a Note 3 over a One. The device had an iconic design and they ruined it to put a Logo on the bottom when they could have just pulled a Samsung or Apple and put the Logo on the back of the device. It also makes the devicelook badly proportioned. With On Screen Buttons that Bezel makes the whole front of the phone look out of proportion, which is unsightly. When Capacitive Buttons this doesn't happen, but without them there it is very noticeable. This is all part of design. Having a screen placed that way on a phone is like reading text with that is not properly centered, vertically. It's very noticeable and some people just can't shake it.

The Nexus 5 does have larger bezels, but the screen is not embedded on the device out of proportion - at least not to the extent that we've seen in pictures of this phone (alleged, of course).

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

You know what guys, I WANT that black bar. I can't tell you how many times I hit the bottom of the screen when I used my old galaxy s3. On my HTC One,the capacitive buttons are a bit hard to reach . Using the same design but with onscreen buttons would make it way easier to reach. And I hugely doubt that the black bar would have no function.

Most people are right handed, and tend to hold the phone in their left hand. They will navigate the phone with their left thumb, but for more complex things (pecking around the keyboard, dragging and dropping stuff, etc.) they will use their dominant hand while holding it in their left hand.

This means that most people are more likely to hit the left capacitive buttons on a device by mistake in the way you are saying. The Galaxy S3 has Menu - Home (HW) - Back. Menu will not destroy your progress in a an app or browser when touched accidentally. The GS5 replaced Menu with Multi-Tasking, but did not rearrange the buttons beyond that and the reason I stated was probably a factor.

Putting the Back Button far-left has always struck me as sort of stupid for that reason.

Secondly, the Bezels on the GS3 were larger than the 4/Note 3 so it is kind of hard to constantly be hitting capacitive buttons on that device. I just upgraded my GS3, so I was using it a week ago. I never had issues with that. The GS4 and Note 3 have much smaller bezels since Samsung didn't want to significantly bloat up the size of the devices, and are much more of a concern than the Galaxy S3 was as far as hitting the capacitive buttons when you want to hit the bottom of the screen. Even then, I just upgraded to a Note III (after trying an iPhone 5S for 10 days) and I haven't accidentally hit a capacitive button - yet.

People also seem to have forgotten the Black Bar issues that were the result of HTC's ridiculous button setup on the One.

The Bar is fine if you put capacitive buttons there. A big bar there with On-Screen Buttons (which cut into your screen real-estate) and nothing but an HTC Logo under the screen? Do they put any value or have any trust in their own iconic design language?

Additionally, and something some people don't seem to be factoring in:

The bezel being there is not the issue. The bezel being there and serving literally not purpose and throwing the visual proportions of the device out of whack (never mind potentially making the device larger than it needs to be) *is* an issue.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site

I really want this phone, I do but if it indeed has that large a bezel, I'm gonna be out. I love what LG did with the g2, I'm gonna see what they have to offer with the g3

Sent from my S4 using tapatalk

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

I really want this phone, I do but if it indeed has that large a bezel, I'm gonna be out. I love what LG did with the g2, I'm gonna see what they have to offer with the g3

Sent from my S4 using tapatalk

You can see the bezel in the leaked videos if you want.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29