Need help - some issues with galaxy s5

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I've had this phone for a little over a month and so far things have been working well. Since yesterday though I've been having issues with the gallery, music, and some others. For the gallery, it'll open but when i try opening my camera photos everything freezes and it closes with a message "Gallery not responding, do you want to close/quit?" My pictures are all on an SD card if that makes a difference. I have tried restarting and turning it off but the problem still doesn't go away.
Also, most of the songs on my phone start a bit late and lag alot when i try to skip to a certain part in the song. A bit hard to explain but that's that.
Lastly, my phone randomly turns off sometimes out of the blue and the only way to turn it back on is to take out the battery and turn it on again.

Maybe I'm just an unlucky person :'(

EDIT: Sorry I just created this account today, I didn't know exactly where to post this.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You may be better off posting in the S5 forum, but I can certainly try to help you here.

Is your music also on your SD card? If so, I would wonder about a corrupted SD card, which seems to happen more often on Samsung devices than on others. See what happens if you copy your music and/or photos into Internal Storage, then unmount the SD card (in Settings>Storage), remove it, and reboot. Does the music play more smoothly, and can you open the Camera without any glitches? If that seems to help, then consider trying a different microSD card. Either that, or try reformatting your current microSD (backing up the data first, of course), then transferring the data back onto the card and trying it again.

mobilecrackers

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You may be better off posting in the S5 forum, but I can certainly try to help you here.

Is your music also on your SD card? If so, I would wonder about a corrupted SD card, which seems to happen more often on Samsung devices than on others. See what happens if you copy your music and/or photos into Internal Storage, then unmount the SD card (in Settings>Storage), remove it, and reboot. Does the music play more smoothly, and can you open the Camera without any glitches? If that seems to help, then consider trying a different microSD card. Either that, or try reformatting your current microSD (backing up the data first, of course), then transferring the data back onto the card and trying it again.

Welcome to android central
Follow the rules
you can post your problem here
Samsung Galaxy S5 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't see a problem with trying to answer a new member's question here. I also did refer the member to the S5 forum.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central :)
I agree with B. Diddy. In addition to trying that, I'd also suggest clearing the cache for your gallery app.

Go to settings > applications > app manager and look for the specific app you're using.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello and welcome to Android Central Bunny.

Sorry you're having problems with your device.

You are not an unlucky person, unfortunately all of us have had some type of malfunction with our devices at one time or another.

Just follow the recommendations from Diddy and UJ, hopefully you'll be alright.

Let us know how it goes.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
This sounds like good advice though my music is not on my SD card, only pictures and a few apps. Would it work if I somehow moved all my music to the SD card instead?

Also, is there any way I can move this to the s5 forum you mentioned? thanks :)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
This sounds like good advice though my music is not on my SD card, only pictures and a few apps. Would it work if I somehow moved all my music to the SD card instead?

Also, is there any way I can move this to the s5 forum you mentioned? thanks :)

Don't think moving it TO the SD card would help. Which app are you using for your music?

As for moving it, only mods can do that.

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Don't think moving it TO the SD card would help. Which app are you using for your music?

As for moving it, only mods can do that.

Ok I managed to figure out how this works, sorry for the confusion.

As for the app I use its just called "Music". I've never had problems with this before until really recently.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok I managed to figure out how this works, sorry for the confusion.

As for the app I use its just called "Music". I've never had problems with this before until really recently.

Have you tried "Play Music?"
I'm not a fan of Samsung's default apps, and Google usually does a better job of making an app with the same functionality.

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central :)
I agree with B. Diddy. In addition to trying that, I'd also suggest clearing the cache for your gallery app.

Go to settings > applications > app manager and look for the specific app you're using.

I just did that right now and it still hasn't gotten better, the gallery app still crashes on me after freezing up for a few minutes.
Could there possibly be other solutions or should i just take it to my local carrier store?

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried "Play Music?"
I'm not a fan of Samsung's default apps, and Google usually does a better job of making an app with the same functionality.

Play Music doesn't have any problems, thanks for recommending it I've never really bothered to check it out until now :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just did that right now and it still hasn't gotten better, the gallery app still crashes on me after freezing up for a few minutes.
Could there possibly be other solutions or should i just take it to my local carrier store?

I had mentioned before about how if the SD card is corrupt, then it might cause problems with apps that are trying to access it, like the Gallery. Try moving those photos from the SD card to your Internal Storage, remove the SD card, and see if the Gallery app still crashes.

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I had mentioned before about how if the SD card is corrupt, then it might cause problems with apps that are trying to access it, like the Gallery. Try moving those photos from the SD card to your Internal Storage, remove the SD card, and see if the Gallery app still crashes.

When I went into the application manager to do that the gallery app wasn't under the SD card. I'm a bit confused by this since when I first put it in the camera app said all my pictures will be placed in there and there's even a little icon on the left lower corner of the camera album.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am inclined to agree with B. Diddy and UJ about moving everything you can (preferably via PC) from the external card to your device. Once you do, try removing it, do the cache clear, and see if it gets better.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When I went into the application manager to do that the gallery app wasn't under the SD card. I'm a bit confused by this since when I first put it in the camera app said all my pictures will be placed in there and there's even a little icon on the left lower corner of the camera album.

You need to use a file manager app to move photos, not the Application Manager. If your S5 comes with a file manager app, use that to copy your photos from the external SD card to Internal Storage. The directory in Internal Storage to copy to would be /DCIM/Camera. If your S5 doesn't come with a file manager app, install a 3rd party one like ES File Explorer.

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
You need to use a file manager app to move photos, not the Application Manager. If your S5 comes with a file manager app, use that to copy your photos from the external SD card to Internal Storage. The directory in Internal Storage to copy to would be /DCIM/Camera. If your S5 doesn't come with a file manager app, install a 3rd party one like ES File Explorer.

Thanks! I downloaded the app and everything is all better now! I have one last question though, since it looks like the problem involved my SD card will it happen again if I buy a different kind?

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hard to say. There are a lot of low quality or even counterfeit SD cards out there, so one thing that might help is to install SD Insight and run it when you insert your SD card. It will give you the real information about the card, so if it conflicts with what was advertised, it is likely counterfeit.

The other factor is your phone itself. Samsung has an unfortunate reputation of making devices that don't always play well with SD cards. Hopefully, this won't be the case with the S5. Keep us updated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez