Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree231Likes

Default Re: [ROM][WIP][4.4.2] CyanogenMod 11 KitKat for Optimus S/V

Quote Originally Posted by skinbark View Post
    I suppose I should take down the sd recovery from post #2 since it's causing hassles. I'd like to figure out what's going on though. Strange that it works for some but not others. Variables: different partitioning software, different sd cards, different phones. I guess using the wipe script is less hassle anyway though. It might be better to have individual wipe zips for each partition, also zips to mount each partition from recovery. I can make those.
    As a test, I plugged my sdcard into my linux system and found, as dman861 reported, that the last partition on the sdcard had a type of unknown. I reformatted it as ext4 on linux and now, the phone boots into cwm instead of just displaying the cwm screen and then continuing to boot the phone to android. I rechecked the sdcard on the linux system and the last partition remains properly formatted ext4.

I have not updated or changed anything since the last time I tried, so the only difference was the formatting of the last ext4 partition on a linux system instead of minitool partition manager on windows 7 x64 which may not able to create these four primary partitions properly. After all, according to windows, you are only supposed to have one primary partition on a disk - LOL.

I used gparted on linux, so using the live CD or live USB version of gparted.org might be the way to go if you are on windows.

My phone is the Virgin model.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by bigsupersquid View Post
    the os has more room in system than ov if i recall.
    164.5 M.
    I have an optimus S (I think). It returns 158.5MB from df -h for the /system partition, so that may be where some of the problem is.
    Thanked by 2:

It seems like for some reason, my wireless password isn't saved, and after every reboot, I need to reenter it to connect. I didn't think any of the APKs I deleted should be related. Anyone else having the same problem?
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #304  

Quote Originally Posted by smittss View Post
    It seems like for some reason, my wireless password isn't saved, and after every reboot, I need to reenter it to connect. I didn't think any of the APKs I deleted should be related. Anyone else having the same problem?
    Yes that's happening to me too.
    Do not be hasty.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #305  

Note on the wipe zip bigsupersquid uploaded - this zip formats data, system, and cache on both internal memory and sd card. Remove the lines in the updater script that refer to yaffs and MTD unless this is what you want. You can use the mount and format menu in the regular cwm to wipe internal partitions. I'm going to prepare individual scripts to format each sd-ext partition for more control.
    Do not be hasty.
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

Note on the wipe zip bigsupersquid uploaded - this zip formats data, system, and cache on both internal memory and sd card. Remove the lines in the updater script that refer to yaffs and MTD unless this is what you want. You can use the mount and format menu in the regular cwm to wipe internal partitions. I'm going to prepare individual scripts to format each sd-ext partition for more control.
    I didn't intend to leave in the internal partition formats. good catch. I'll edit the post to reflect.
    keep the wife happy with my dev time:
    donate!
    the THANKS button is quite acceptable if you're as stingy as me, too.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    kraven cm7/CM9

I noticed this in your msm7x27-common Boardconfig. These values are for the P500, thunderc are different. The BOARD_KERNEL_BASE is the only one that mght need fixing, the others are just size parameters.

Code:
    BOARD_KERNEL_BASE := 0x12800000

## Partition Sizes: Fix this up by examining /proc/mtd on a running device
    BOARD_BOOTIMAGE_PARTITION_SIZE := 0x00440000
    BOARD_RECOVERYIMAGE_PARTITION_SIZE := 0x00600000
    BOARD_SYSTEMIMAGE_PARTITION_SIZE := 0xff00000
    BOARD_USERDATAIMAGE_PARTITION_SIZE := 0x0c780000
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    Xperion

What is the average battery life you guys are experiencing with OS2SD? I'm currently getting about four hours...

VM670 on 4.4.2? Yes, indeed.
    #_ Guru-to-Noob Translator C:/_ .
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #309  

Quote Originally Posted by thekraven View Post
    I noticed this in your msm7x27-common Boardconfig. These values are for the P500, thunderc are different. The BOARD_KERNEL_BASE is the only one that mght need fixing, the others are just size parameters.

Code:
    BOARD_KERNEL_BASE := 0x12800000

## Partition Sizes: Fix this up by examining /proc/mtd on a running device
    BOARD_BOOTIMAGE_PARTITION_SIZE := 0x00440000
    BOARD_RECOVERYIMAGE_PARTITION_SIZE := 0x00600000
    BOARD_SYSTEMIMAGE_PARTITION_SIZE := 0xff00000
    BOARD_USERDATAIMAGE_PARTITION_SIZE := 0x0c780000
    I think when I started building kitkat I had to fudge those values because my build was erroring out. What'll happen is make won't generate a system image that's larger than those settings so unless you're building a tiny config or something you almost have to fake the values. Those really shouldn't be in msm7x27-common IMO they should be in the device folder. Interesting though that the common_full_phone builds we've been doing haven't thrown the error though, since they generate a larger system.img than the p500 could use.
    Do not be hasty.
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

I suppose I should take down the sd recovery from post #2 since it's causing hassles. I'd like to figure out what's going on though. Strange that it works for some but not others. Variables: different partitioning software, different sd cards, different phones. I guess using the wipe script is less hassle anyway though. It might be better to have individual wipe zips for each partition, also zips to mount each partition from recovery. I can make those.
    The concept of fakeflash recovery is courtesy of Koush, like CWM proper. Thanks!
    Dunno if it matters, I got the fakeflash to work. it uses the ext partition fstabs and recovery binary from the sd-recovery.
    If you flash it you have to "adb kill-server' before adb will connect to recovery again. reboot into recovery and it's the original one. this does NOT overwrite the recovery partition.
    meant for the skinbark-non-sd recovery only, probably won't work right with other recoveries.
    cwm-sd_fakeflash.zip
    it flashed the OP sd version ok.
    it did not back up or restore internal /system or /data or /cache. instead it backs up and restores the ext partitions, like it should for what it is.
    it does not handle MTD partition restores or flashes (well, except the boot partition.)
    Reboot into the other recovery for those.
    This is experimental for evaluation purposes.
    Don't gripe if it gives you trouble, instead, give useful data to fix it. You'll be guided to what info to post. Like the 2nd post says, you should have adb installed and a clue how to use it.

for extra amusement value, the restore I did booted with my wifi connected and dev settings correct. but it forgot the CM activation.
    Last edited by bigsupersquid; 01-07-2014 at 09:51 AM. Reason: update zip
    donate!
    Thanked by:
    skinbark likes this.

Where can i get the patch for newer radio ? Thanks.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #312  

Amazing work, squid! I'll try it out a little later and let you know how it goes.
    Edit: Tried it. Looks good so far. Flashed the button fix with it and made a backup. I'll try a restore later.
    That's what I call an elegant solution!
    Last edited by skinbark; 01-05-2014 at 05:45 PM.
    Do not be hasty.
    Thanked by:
    bigsupersquid likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #313  

Quote Originally Posted by brotherswing View Post
    What is the average battery life you guys are experiencing with OS2SD? I'm currently getting about four hours...

Can't say myself but it'd make sense that the battery life would be affected by having to power the external memory more. I know my mp3 player used to get worse battery life when I played music off the sd card.
    Do not be hasty.

ROM
    Xperion

Granted read/write activities on SD use more juice than mtd, I expected a reduction in battery life. I'm just looking to find a basis for comparison. I'm trying to establish a baseline so people using OS2SD will know what to expect.

o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

based on past experience with sd gingerbread, I'd say that the radios are going to determine battery life. No syncing or data-moving apps, and easy on the 3g, more life.
    You'd need to test a basic install in NAND and SD both without gapps to get a more reliable baseline.
    donate!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #316  

The first backup I made with fakeflash worked fine but the second one gave "Error while backing up cache." Then when I went to restore the first backup I got the error E:format_volume: no MTD partition "/dev/block/mmcblk0p4"
    Error while formatting /cache!
    After that I wiped cache which worked.
    Edit:
    After that, I booted into the restored system, then back into recovery. Fakeflashed and wiped individual partitions which worked I then tried restoring individual partitions and got MD5 mismatch! errors. Then I tried a normal restore and got MD5 mismatch! again.
    Last edited by skinbark; 01-05-2014 at 07:57 PM.
    Do not be hasty.
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

I thought that was fixed by unmounting the mtd partitions before killing recovery. dang.
    manually unmounting all partitions right before or right after the fakeflash takes care of it.
    donate!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #318  

Quote Originally Posted by hfl12 View Post
    Where can i get the patch for newer radio ? Thanks.
    [Patch's]ZVJ to ZVD & ZVD to ZVJ Flashable zips(Optimus S)
    Do not be hasty.
    Resident idiot

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3, Stock

This is zvd based right? And where do we find the recoveries for this.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Galaxy S3 (d2vzw): CM11
    LG Optimus V: TVALL ICS
    Motorola Droid: CM10
    Sero 7 Pro: davemper CM11
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

long time no see, cammy.

regular NAND recovery linked in first post (in the mediafire folder.)
    experimental SD recovery fakeflash is here: cwm-sd_fakeflash.zip
    For the run-from-sd rom version in the second post.
    The experimental requires the regular NAND recovery to be installed first. The regular recovery remains there while using the experimental one.

//edit: I forgot, it runs fine on ZV4.
    has 3g and wifi. sms works fine. no mms. no bluetooth. if installed with the fakeflash recovery, it remembers wifi passwords.
    Last edited by bigsupersquid; 01-07-2014 at 09:51 AM.
    donate!

ROM
    Xperion

K
    Quote Originally Posted by cammykool View Post
    This is zvd based right? And where do we find the recoveries for this.

I'm running this on ZV9. Then again, there are functions I can't test as I have no service right now...

Last edited by brotherswing; 01-06-2014 at 09:12 AM.
    bigsupersquid likes this.
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

I have tried several different VM APNs (all different MCC and MIN) and none of them broke data on yesterday's build from thekraven's repo.
    they don't show up in the apns list, but still deselect the default Sprint one.
    none of them send mms, either.
    donate!
    Thanked by:
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #323  

OS2SD Recovery Info
    I'm linking to this post to help explain issues related to using the os2sd version of CM11. The regular CWM from post #1 is adequate to flash the os2sd rom, gapps and button fix, but doesn't know how to properly wipe, backup or restore the partitions, so we need alternate methods of doing so. One way to handle wiping is to use CWM to flash zip files which execute a script that removes all files from the sd-ext partitions. I added a set of wipe zips to the os2sd folder. Put them in a folder on your sd card and flash them from the regular recovery to clear external /data, /system, /cache, or all three.

CWM_6.0.4.6-thunderc-sd.zip is a special version of ClockWorkMod recovery that assumes that you are using sd-ext partitions for /data, /system and /cache. This version of CWM will correctly format, backup and restore the os2sd partitions, but not the regular internal partitions. I changed the colors on the os2sd version to help remember which is installed. Just flash the appropriate zip file to switch between the two versions. If you know you'll just be using the os2sd rom use this recovery.

Another option is bigsupersquid's "fake flash" recovery. You flash the zip from your regular recovery and it restarts the recovery with new temporary partition settings. If you switch back and forth between normal and os2sd roms or backups use this. cwm-sd_fakeflash.zip can be downloaded here.

Experienced linux users can use the dd command to backup and restore the os2sd partitions on their pc.
    Last edited by skinbark; 01-07-2014 at 11:59 AM.
    Do not be hasty.
    Resident idiot

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3, Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bigsupersquid View Post
    long time no see, cammy.

regular NAND recovery linked in first post (in the mediafire folder.)
    experimental SD recovery fakeflash is here. For the run-from-sd rom version in the second post.
    The experimental requires the regular NAND recovery to be installed first. The regular recovery remains there while using the experimental one.

//edit: I forgot, it runs fine on ZV4.
    has 3g and wifi. sms works fine. no mms. no bluetooth. if installed with the fakeflash recovery, it remembers wifi passwords.
    My moms friend had a ls670 she didn't need so I got it now

Galaxy S3 (d2vzw): CM11
    LG Optimus V: TVALL ICS
    Motorola Droid: CM10
    Sero 7 Pro: davemper CM11

ROM
    Changes Daily

All zvd based basebands should work fine this includes zvd, 4,5 and 9. Zvh and j work with a patch

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516 ... LastLast