Just got new gmail pushed to turbo...

bizzyqu

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How can google make the argument this app is supposed to replace the default email app when this one cant handle push for my outlook account like the stock email app, nor can it handle my work's exchange account like the stock email app. Am I missing something here?
(side question, new to android, is there a way in either app to mark all prior read)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
How can google make the argument this app is supposed to replace the default email app when this one cant handle push for my outlook account like the stock email app, nor can it handle my work's exchange account like the stock email app. Am I missing something here?

The first version of 5.0 that leaked out also supported exchange accounts, but I assume that they pulled it because it wasn't working the way that they wanted it to. I am guessing that exchange account support is coming shortly, but I haven't read an official explanation one way or the other.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
(side question, new to android, is there a way in either app to mark all prior read)
I highly recommend using Touchdown if you need a good email app for exchange email.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Right, and that is not in the Play Store. The version in the Play Store supports Google accounts and IMAP/POP. There is no exchange account support Gmail in the Play Store.

I never sideload anything. It's in the Play Store or it's not on my phone.

I was just notified of a Gmail update and I have Exchange options.

Jay Evans

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Google tends to have rolling updates for the major apps, some get it when released others have to wait days.

Posted via the Android Central App

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Google tends to have rolling updates for the major apps, some get it when released others have to wait days.

I'm still waiting for this update as well as the maps and calendar updates. These updates take too long to roll out in my opinion.

stevenmh

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I was just notified of update. No Exchange option. No push for IMAP. No IMAP push in the stock client is my biggest disappointment in this phone. Razr Maxx HD did it, why take steps backward.

bizzyqu

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was just notified of update. No Exchange option. No push for IMAP. No IMAP push in the stock client is my biggest disappointment in this phone. Razr Maxx HD did it, why take steps backward.

i have push in the stock client just not on gmail, and that apk link posted above made exchange work which is push btw even in gmail.

PretoEvo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Gmail with the exchange APK for the last several days and it has worked great -- with push notifications.
The hard part is training myself to use Gmail for my Exchange mail and Inbox for my Gmail . . .

stevenmh

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
i have push in the stock client just not on gmail, and that apk link posted above made exchange work which is push btw even in gmail.

I have push for exchange, but not for personal IMAP. My wife's phone is the same. Have them both set to sync on a schedule, the push checkbox that was there on the previous phones is not there. I've seen other Android threads on the same topic asking when are they going to add it. That's not the right question... when are they going to put it back.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If you want a really good mail client that supports imap push, k9 is a great one. It was forked off the original aosp mail client from way back, but it's powerful and easy to use.

That said, long ago I set up all of my email accounts to forward to gmail and have gmail set to respond from the account that originally received the mail, so I have push with just a single mail client on my phone with the added bonus of the best spam filtering mail service out there and now, with priority inbox, great filtering of important mail from promos, forums, social updates, which don't notify me on the phone.

I know that some don't like putting many third party apps on their phone, but k9 is worth at least checking out and you can always uninstall if you don't like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii