Sick of the size of the phone. Want to sell or trade

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I too thought that it might be too big.

Uh uh. Feels just right. At first I was worried. But it took me about a day to realize that it wasn't bad at all.

That's not to say that this will be the case for you, of course. But it feels natural to me. In fact, it feels like I'm LESS likely to drop it. It's got a nice balance even though it's a touch taller than my shirt pocket. No biggie, my jacket covers it and I barely feel it in my pants pocket when I stick it in there.

But we're all different, I suppose.

Dharma Jairam

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I tried 3 different cases including the Spigen Neo Hybrid. The case I currently have is thinner than that and it makes the phone too thick. I went to the store yesterday and held a Note 3 on display. I like the feel of it naked, but I'd be way to worried about dropping it to tote it around naked.

And for the record, I am far from wearing skinny jeans...not even close. I have no idea how some posters can say they have to check to see if it's there in their pocket. Seems like a brick to me.

And aside from the camera processing, I honestly think the 8 megapixel iPhone 5 takes clearer pics than the note. Maybe I had too high expectations of the 13 mp camera on the note.

Do you guys actually use the s-pen?

Posted via Android Central App

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I use the s-pen on occasion. Not all of the time.

And I rarely stick it in my pants pocket but when I do, I don't notice it any more than I did with my Droid Razr.

I use the Spigen Bounce. It's like a second skin. Adds very little bulk. And I like the sharp angles on the edges. Feels nice.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Having said all that, I've never had an IPhone. But then again, everyone I've known with one has had a cracked screen at least once. Plus, it's like a postage stamp, even compared to the Razr. I wonder if the pictures look better in general because of the smaller screen. That probably has a little to do with it, although I recognize that the iPhone has a well-designed camera.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I dunno. I don't like the feel of it naked. I need just a little more bulk. It's a balance, proportion, and grip thing. The Bounce is perfect for my needs (plus I have a flex-glass protector).

Kettle

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I use the s-pen on a daily basis. I like to handwrite quick notes. To be honest the phone does still feel a little big in my hand. However, I love the size of the screen when it comes to reading, interacting with the device and playing ingress. I also have an iPhone 5 for my work phone. The iPhone now feels so small that I really do hate to use it. Typing on the iPhone is much more difficult for me than on the Note. I especially miss the swype functionality when using the iPhone.

Everyone is unique so I can see how the Note might be to big for you. I am sure that people with smaller hands would likely have a more difficult time.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
My biggest issue is the shear size of the phone. Even with the slimmest case the phone is too big. I have no idea how people use Otterboxes!

My phone was apparently quirky and had to be replaced. I find the keyboard thing annoying. There isn't one that gives you a good keyboard with emoticons. Choice isn't always a good thing, as is the case for the keyboards.

I have a Moto X and I have emoticons on my keyboard. Same ones as on the iPhone. I mean, they look different because its on an android but when you send them to an iOS device, it just converts to the iOS emoticon.

But there are smaller android phones. Like the Moto X! And its pretty much pure android. Win win.

I know what its like trying to adjust to android from iPhone. I have had 2 iPhones before I got the Moto X, so I was pretty used to Apple's ecosystem. But I personally am glad I made the switch.

Sent from the mother ship

snc0921

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I thought I would get used to the size but I didn't. It feels way to big in my pocket. How do you guys handle that?

And never used the s-pen. At first, I thought I would use it all the time but I found taking it out was just too cumbersome.

Frankly, my briefs keep my junk way to close to my pockets and get in the way. I'm guessing that's not a problem for you. I'd get an iPhone and be happy boxers are an option in your case.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just for the ops info, there was a deal recently for a new factory sim unlocked Note 3 for $470.

I have seen carrier specific versions go for $600.

If course if you can find a buyer, then good for you.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Gadgetdude

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sick of the size of this phone. Really wish I got the S4. The good thing is that I just received a brand new note from At&t today as a replacement of my previous note 3 that started acting haywire. It's brand new in the sealed box. I figured this is an excellent time to sell it outright or trade it for a S4 plus cash.

I'm hoping to get $600 if I sell it outright, unless you think it's worth more.

I'm done with the whole "phablet" thing. I think the phone is way to bug to be useful/handy and I do think the camera sucks. After ever pic I take it says "processing" for a few seconds. What gives?! My iPhone never did that. There goes rapid pics of the baby. I might even be done with samsung all together.

Wow - express an opinion that you don't love your GN3 and the fans are all over you - sorry about that! I remember your first post a little while back and even then you were close to returning the GN3 so I seem to think you did the exact right thing - you gave it an honest try and given your preferences you're going to look for something that suits you better - it's your money - why spend it on anything you are not entirely delighted with?

I love my GN3 but what is important to me is obviously just different - nothing wrong with that. Sell it... go find something else and good luck!

On a side note - we added my son to our phone plan and basically let him pick whatever he wanted for a handset from Verizon for Christmas. He ended up with a Droid Maxx and I have to say I am impressed - very snappy, crazy battery life (3500 mAH), built in wireless charging etc. It was really fun shopping for it with him and seeing how certain things that I could care less about were really important to him - it still makes me laugh how important that it simply looks cool is to a teenager! - he wouldn't even consider any of the "old man" looking stuff from Samsung!.

dualsvtsnakes

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Simply sell on Craigs list if you can.

Don't sell a phone or anything expensive and small on craigslist. My buddy is a cop and he is telling me ppl are getting robbed all the time on craigslist. buyers of expensive items get robbed for their cash and sellers of small expensive items get them snatched out of their hands.

He tells me.......you wanna sell a lawnmower, a sofa? use craigslist. You wanna sell something small and cool......like the OP says, use ebay, a marketplace etc, so you don't have to meet.

Dharma Jairam

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The ironic thing is that I actually have fairly large hands... people have always told me that. Having said that I still feel like the phone is constantly slipping out of my hands. I really couldn't find a slim case that was "grippy". Perhaps some one can tell me if I looked in the wrong places.

One other thing. ..I tried to talk to the phone to dictate a text yesterday and got horrible results. Worked flawless with iphone; even recognized periods, semicolons, etc. Not the case with the note. The result was ridiculous actually.

And I'm not an apple fanboy. The reason I converted to the note was because I was bored of apple and all their hype. The 5s was a hyped phone that was hardly a redesign, and was pretty much a let down. Let's send out pretty much the same product but give it a new name. And people buy it regardless. My point is that the apple OS seems to work better. You might disagree but I think android has some catching up to do. S Voice and the voice recognition are prime examples of the deficit.

Last edited:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping to get $600 if I sell it outright, unless you think it's worth more.

FWIW, if I had an extra $600, I'd make you this offer: You get it unlocked, I'll pay the $600+shipping to Canada. Sadly, I don't have that kind of money just sitting around (and won't for a while). I won't try to change your mind about the N3. It's a big device, esp coming from an iOS device. Samsung's TouchWiz skin is kinda ugly and messy. If you're still willing to try Android, try something like the MotoX. Pretty much pure Android, and a size much closer to your iPhone. iPhone's camera is tough to beat though, unless you go to the Nokia 1030 or whatever number it is (but then you'd have to go to Windows Phone OS....)

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Wow - express an opinion that you don't love your GN3 and the fans are all over you - sorry about that! I remember your first post a little while back and even then you were close to returning the GN3 so I seem to think you did the exact right thing - you gave it an honest try and given your preferences you're going to look for something that suits you better - it's your money - why spend it on anything you are not entirely delighted with?

I love my GN3 but what is important to me is obviously just different - nothing wrong with that. Sell it... go find something else and good luck!

On a side note - we added my son to our phone plan and basically let him pick whatever he wanted for a handset from Verizon for Christmas. He ended up with a Droid Maxx and I have to say I am impressed - very snappy, crazy battery life (3500 mAH), built in wireless charging etc. It was really fun shopping for it with him and seeing how certain things that I could care less about were really important to him - it still makes me laugh how important that it simply looks cool is to a teenager! - he wouldn't even consider any of the "old man" looking stuff from Samsung!.

I don't think people have been all over him for the most part, at least in the way it sounds like you mean it. I think we have been expressing some alternative viewpoints because, well that's what we do here. For my part, I've been a Moto guy for the past 3 phones, which is about 6 years. Right before I got the OG Droid, I tried that first really good Samsung smartphone (which I can't remember the name of off the top of my head). I only kept it for two days despite the great reviews. It just wasn't right for me. So I understand.

The fact that I ended up liking this phone despite my fears that it would be too large was worth pointing out (and I have fairly small hands and am prone to droppage).

Not ever having been in the Apple family, I would never say a bad thing about it except to point out the obvious - the screen is very small and they are very prone to breakage. I used to say that the non-removable battery was a deal-breaker but what did I do but go and get a White Razr! Which I now need to sell (as well as replace the battery or sell it as is).

One of my big first adopter buddies, who had one of the big Samsungs a year and a half ago and was singing its praises is now rocking the Moto X and loving it. So I recommend the previous endorsement. In fact, I was THIS CLOSE to getting one instead of the Note. I'm happy with my choice, even though I paid about $200 more for it.

It's definitely about what feels right, not only in features and wow factor but in the hand. The latter is probably the most important.

Dharma Jairam

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Please answer me this...are you all able to speak to the phone and get it to correctly write a text or email with punctuality?

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Please answer me this...are you all able to speak to the phone and get it to correctly write a text or email with punctuality?

Up to a point. I can't figure out how to start a sentence with a capital letter, but I can put commas and periods in. I don't text so I've never tried that, but I use it occasionally for comments and email.

Most of the time I just SWYPE. I might do chunks of verbiage using voice. My problem is that I speak in phrases and have to stop to collect my next thought. It's usually quicker for me to just use the keyboard.

Dharma Jairam

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
How do fog get it to do a period? And don't you think it's ridiculous that it won't automatically start a new sentence with a capital letter? Seems silly on androids part. Just another example of my point I suppose.

manonmoon49

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Please answer me this...are you all able to speak to the phoneon hands and get it to correctly write a text or email with punctuality?

This phone has been the best at voice to text for me. I have had every HTC phone plus my iPad and my ex wife's iPhone and GN3 has won hands down

manonmoon49

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
How do fog get it to do a period? And don't you think it's ridiculous that it won't automatically start a new sentence with a capital letter? Seems silly on androids part. Just another example of my point I suppose.

What do you mean how do you get to do a period? With voice? Just say period.

Dharma Jairam

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Really?! I find that hard to believe. S - Voice has been pretty ineffective for me while Siri was pretty darn good at understanding what I wanted. And the voice recognition for texting and emailing is a joke really. Fail as far as I see.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall