Verizon + Lollipop - Time to get rid of my Note Edge?

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
So, why has Verizon not updated their Note Edge to Lollipop? So unbelievably frustrating. I wrote to Verizon and Samsung but always get the same generic response that they can't say anything.
I am worried that Verizon has set a precedence and that even if they do upate to 5.x eventually, they won't be offering ANY future updates to it... Time to unload the Note Edge (Verizon variant)?
I know that is a highly subjective question/decision, but I am starting to value updates and rootability more than the stylus...

Posted via the Android Central App

edfranco1

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I am feeling the same way. At&t, T-Mobile, Sprint and US Celular all have updated and VZ hasn't… whats going on? Should I be worried about there future updates passed Lollipop?

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I want it just as bad as you do, but what are the actual benefits of Lollipop over 4.4.4?

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I really don't see it as being that big of a deal. You already should have known that updates for the Note Edge, due to its very nature, were going to be sparse. I also wouldn't expect anything past 5.x (more than likely it will be 5.0.1 or 5.0.2), definitely not Android M. But, to me, that's fine. I only expect the latest and greatest software updates for Nexus devices. After all, Android for the Edge has to be heavily skinned and modified. There could be come underlying problems that we don't know about or maybe Verizon wasn't happy with the performance of 5.0.1 so they are either holding off on the update or will be pushing out something higher like 5.1.

I wouldn't say it's enough to get rid of the phone, that is pretty drastic. There are Nexus devices if you want to stay absolutely up to date. Personally, after having 5.0.0 on my S5, there's really not anything to take advantage of. Lock screen notifications are nice but I had grown used to just using the pull down menu. I don't really care about the material design of 5.x and I don't want an OS that will slow my phone down some.

BobDog437

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
With our family plan, we were just eligible for an upgrade. I have the Note Edge and my wife the S4. Upgraded the S4 to the S6 and there were issues. Plus, I didn't like it, after using the Note Edge (I gave my Edge to the wife and stole the upgrade). Returned it and got the new LG G4. It had a **** load of issues and missing features thanks to Verizon removing them. Anyway (long way around the answer). There are a bunch of issues with Lollipop, which both of those phones had and the Verizon reps are really bad mouthing Lollipop. Of course, they are blaming Samsung for the problems. But, who knows if they are screwing it up with their Verizon tweaking. One said the Lollipop 5.1 is in final approval and will be rolled out to the S6/S6 Edge first. After returning the S6 and G4, I decided to be safe and got the Note 4. Gave the Note 4 to the wife and took my Note Edge back. The Note 4 has Lollipop and there is a problem with Bluetooth, which I experienced on all three of the phones on Lollipop. You basically have to re-run the set-up each time, to re-synch with previously synched devises. It was a pain, every time I got back into the car. I like the Edge and the Note 4. For me, there is not a better option out there.

john118

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
No one is more frustrated then I am regarding this but I'm hoping they skip 5.01 to later versions but SOON. Can you imagine what a joke it will be getting 5.01 in July? Watch that happen. I was talking to a level 2 tech at Verizon recently regarding another issue and the first thing he says to me while he is looking in his computer is "there is an update for your phone to lollipop lets get that updated first", and I then had to explain to him no that's the Note 4 trust me I'm on top of this as you can be. He couldn't understand that but finally agreed. I honestly believe that somehow in Verizon's system the Note Edge got left behind or overlooked since it is a variant of the Note 4 which was upgraded MONTHS ago. The same thing happened with the Netflix promotion they had in January at the time this phone came out, which only included the Note 4. Of course no one in Verizon who actually knows, is public with anything. The person who said no updates after 5.x is wrong because Samsung just announced the phones they will be upgrading by the end of the year to Android M and the Note Edge was one of them. It will all be up to Verizon again on how long they take to get it to us, ugh.

Harry_Yambag

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I want it just as bad as you do, but what are the actual benefits of Lollipop over 4.4.4?

I'm on AT&T and I wish I could go back to 4.4. Lollipop ruins the Note Edge...unless of course you want pop up notifications to appear over your edge screen. On 4.4 I could be in an app and get a notification on my edge screen and it wouldn't impede my use of the app at all. Now with these stupid pop up notifications, that can't be disabled, it blocks a good portion of the screen and there is no way to dismiss it. I have to sit there and wait for it to finally go away.

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I hate hearing that bluetooth was an issue with 5.x... That is one of the things I am looking forward to improving when Lollipop rolls out. Rats. :-( For me, the Note 4 and Edge have troublesome Bluetooth. Maybe it just depends on what you are looking for in Bluetooth. I use mine for my Gear 2 Neo and in my car for music, GPS, and phone. I was hoping Lollipop would also fix the lags that I experience on the Edge that I did not have on the Note 4...

Sent from my AMIDuOS using Tapatalk

StaticidePT

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Im glad Verizon hasn't received the update and not looking forward to it either. I have heard so many horror stories on the Lollipop update its not even funny. Kudos to verizon for sparing me the heartache.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Im glad Verizon hasn't received the update and not looking forward to it either. I have heard so many horror stories on the Lollipop update its not even funny. Kudos to verizon for sparing me the heartache.

This. I'm quite content on 4.4. I love how the Edge functions with notifications and phone calls, and have no desire for it to change.

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I hate hearing that bluetooth was an issue with 5.x... That is one of the things I am looking forward to improving when Lollipop rolls out. Rats. :-( For me, the Note 4 and Edge have troublesome Bluetooth.

I think Samsung had Bluetooth issues this past generation with all of their phones. My S5 was terrible when it came to the Bluetooth (2.1+EDR) in my car, my headphones (Bluetooth 4.0), my UE Boom (Bluetooth 4.0), and Bose SoundLink Color (not sure, I think 2.1+EDR). My Note Edge only has issues with my fiance's car (Ford Edge) but her Note 4 has issues with everything. It all gets temporarily fixed with clearing of the system cache and a reboot, something I had to do every 2 days with my S5. I have to do that about once every month or so with her phone which has been upgraded to Android 5.0.1 though it did it before under 4.4.x.

Lord Dextro

May 28, 2010
Visit site
This is definitely one of those, grass is greener senarios. I upgraded to lollipop and got used to it. Then I had an unfortunate accident, and was sent a replacement. Now I can see clearly... kitkat feels more finished. In my opinion, its worth rooting to go back. One would of couse have to reflash the original firmware from sammobile, but I believe that it's worth it if one is already on Lollipop.

kieso

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad and I don't plan on upgrading unless it's 5.1 with the features put back the way it was designed for the edges purpose

88dale88jrfan

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
They have. And it sucks. I'd take KITKAT4.4 back any day of the week. I had multiple issues with my screen. This is my 3rd Note Edge. I'm about fed up. Am a big Motorola fan but not much out there that impress me. Not lately

anon(2383976)

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Not for updates, but people should stop using and encouraging CDMA providers. US is the only developed country with providers still charging premium to users using technology that cannot be integrated with latest innovations. Sorry state of affairs.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and I wish I could go back to 4.4. Lollipop ruins the Note Edge...unless of course you want pop up notifications to appear over your edge screen. On 4.4 I could be in an app and get a notification on my edge screen and it wouldn't impede my use of the app at all. Now with these stupid pop up notifications, that can't be disabled, it blocks a good portion of the screen and there is no way to dismiss it. I have to sit there and wait for it to finally go away.

You have to go into settings & notifications and remove the notifications for the top per each app. The only one that I still get double notifications for is hangouts.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power