Captivate FOTA Software update

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Just a quick mention, but mine sat at the 50% point for an uncomfortable length of time before continuing on and installing successfully. Is yours actually saying that it failed or are you forcing something when it sits at 50% for a long time?

Redneckbutlerboy

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Just a quick mention, but mine sat at the 50% point for an uncomfortable length of time before continuing on and installing successfully. Is yours actually saying that it failed or are you forcing something when it sits at 50% for a long time?

It say's it failed and reboots the phone on it's own then when it comes back up it tells me the update wasn't installed. I think it has to do with my build number showing lagfix beta4-v1.6. I guess I'll need to undo the lagfix when I get home maybe....

Teremai

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Mine did the same thing, Sat at 50% for a very long time and just when I started to get worried, it successfully completed... Rooted and One click lag fix..Updated fine

rahlquist

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
On getting a second try at downloading, if the date thing gets annoying to you the alternative could be;

I renamed /dbdata/databases/wssdmdatabase.db and rebooted and was able to try to d/l again. The file was then recreated.
YMMV you brick it, you did it.

Maybe someone can build an app to correct the last updated time in this DB for rooted phones.

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
rolled my clock forward about 90 minutes past my 24 hours (was saying 10:28 pm at 1:53PM just moved the clock up 10 hours to 11:53) and the update went on. GPS looks better, at work, no time to mess with much else. (bone stock except some sideloaded apps).

ADS

Last edited:

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
" Google Maps showed me 3 blocks from where I actually was."
That may not be a phone problem, Google Maps is incredible--but still full of bugs. They show all addresses in Sunrise (SE Florida) as being in Sarasota, on the central west coast.
And their geocoding (which comes from NavTeq and others) is sometimes off by more than 1/2 mile. You can't be sure the GPS isn't working, unless you get the lat/lon coordinates from the GPS and compare them to the real coordinates for your location--IF you can be sure of them, because there are map datum errors and other GPS problems that can trip up the average GPS user.

FWIW.

BTW, can the update be down via a regular internet connection and computer? Or in the store? Or is AT&T really so brain-dead that it can only be done FOTA, when they complain so loudly that there's not enough bandwidth to begin with?

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Apparently ATT has caught on to the date change because now I cannot change the date manually - it goes right back to today. My phone must be really screwed up because I have tried this no less than 10 times, re-flashed back to stock 4 times, did a master clear 2 times and it still doesn't work. Poor planning on my part with the date thing, instead of changing the date every time (I did this so many times I was forgetting what day I had changed it too) I started changing the month and now I have to wait until December for an update.

gbrown2036

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
You can now turn the brightness down to a lower setting than before so battery should drain slower.

I wonder if there are any fixes to help the battery? My battery performance has been pretty bad...can't get through a whole day without charging.

Zotz

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
First and only update attempt this afternoon:

- Did not roll back One-Click Root and One-Click Lag Fix (size approx 1GB).
- Most AT&T bloat had been removed after rooting.
- Download completed successfully.
- Installation hung at 50% for only a couple of minutes.
- Installation reached 100%, but failure indicated, then rebooted.
- After reboot, installation failure indicated.
- Media scan seems fast enough, but not noticeably different.
- Baseband version = I897UCJH7
- Kernel version = 2.6.29 jetaek.lee@sep-11 #2
- QuickOffice did not install.
- LBS Test Mode is still available.
- All of my previous adjustments to LBS still intact.
- GPS gets a fix in about 30 seconds; will test more.

hayesb2

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
No matter how much I try the update my phone always says "Communication Failed" I've tried it via wifi, I've tried it OTA, about every combination of settings imaginable...anybody have any idea?

writerman

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
It say's it failed and reboots the phone on it's own then when it comes back up it tells me the update wasn't installed. I think it has to do with my build number showing lagfix beta4-v1.6. I guess I'll need to undo the lagfix when I get home maybe....

From what I've read in the Voodoo thread at xda you will need to disable the lag fix first and then try the update.

ap1618#AC

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Please share the LBS mods

What are your LBS modifications to get a 30 sec fix? thanks

First and only update attempt this afternoon:

- Did not roll back One-Click Root and One-Click Lag Fix (size approx 1GB).
- Most AT&T bloat had been removed after rooting.
- Download completed successfully.
- Installation hung at 50% for only a couple of minutes.
- Installation reached 100%, but failure indicated, then rebooted.
- After reboot, installation failure indicated.
- Media scan seems fast enough, but not noticeably different.
- Baseband version = I897UCJH7
- Kernel version = 2.6.29 jetaek.lee@sep-11 #2
- QuickOffice did not install.
- LBS Test Mode is still available.
- All of my previous adjustments to LBS still intact.
- GPS gets a fix in about 30 seconds; will test more.

Redneckbutlerboy

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
From what I've read in the Voodoo thread at xda you will need to disable the lag fix first and then try the update.

I was just coming back to say I mis spoke before and I have Voodoo instead of the other lag fix others talk about and that I thought that may be the problem. Thanks for posting that. I can't wait to get off work so I can try that....3 more hours :(

Update: Couldn't wait 'till I got home. I have an app that lets me explore the files so I made the disabled one like they said to do at XDA and it seems to be turning it off. We'll see how it goes I guess, lol.

Update 2: Adding the folder that turns it off didn't change the Kernel so I guess I better wait 'till I get home and can try to roll back to the orignal Kernel.

Last edited: