Update coming... but not 2.2?

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
You can't find it because it hasn't been posted for general consumption yet. Be patient and let the developers get everything playing nice together and package it up into an easily applied update.

Too many phones have been bricked by people flashing files before they know what they are. This update contains a modem update and we do NOT have a previous modem.bin file for the Fascinate so for the modem this is a one way trip! As such the developers want to be damn sure this doesn't get released to the masses and cause major problems or prevent future updates.

Right now - be patient... It will come. If you have the skills to flash this update then you already know where to find it. If not - be patient.

This is probably super-noobish, but so you are saying the people who wrote Odin couldn't come up with a way to pull out the same segment of flash that they push in? So samsung has finally found a use for the notorious write-once read-never memory?

BKVic

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
That is the assumption, yes. It definitely includes all of the things listed on page 1.

Thanks for the reply Cory, I returned my first Fascinate but this just about guaranties that Ill be out on Black Friday to pick up two of these for my wife and I at Best Buy. I still don't like that it doesn't have a indicator LED or how the power cord plugs into the top of the phone but for $1 I can live with those.:D

BKVic

KGP

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Grrrrrrrrr...yet you still can not erase Goodle Maps Layers history and the app "History Eraser" doesn't erase this, everything else, but not this and clearing cache in Maps is grayed out ; hopefully Froyo or even better skipping Froyo and getting Gingerbread will fix this.

I'm very OCD about keeping a "clean" phone when it comes to web and maps history...it's sad really :)

--Kevin

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
There's an app called cache cleaner. Have you tried that?

And yes, the lack of a notification LED is a let down but I still love this phone more than any other I've owned.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
NoLed is really a good app if you need the visual notification. It works great with K9, I just wish it work with Touchdown while in vibrate mode. Not a big deal really.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
the kernels will include working bln soon enough.

personally i've gotten over notification lights, i'll take them if they're there, but i don't really care anymore if they're not.

nickf126

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I carefully checked the release notes, and watched the video, but I have a question that has not been addressed:

Do you know if there is a fix for not being able to select Google Calendar as your default calendar when creating an event in the calendar?

EVERY time I create an event I have to manually select Google as my calendar. This is extremely frustrating, and you would think that since this is an ANDROID phone, it would default to Google...but no....:mad:

Anyway, can someone who has the update check for me? Thanks!

CR4V3

Neighborhood IT Pro
Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
I carefully checked the release notes, and watched the video, but I have a question that has not been addressed:

Do you know if there is a fix for not being able to select Google Calendar as your default calendar when creating an event in the calendar?

EVERY time I create an event I have to manually select Google as my calendar. This is extremely frustrating, and you would think that since this is an ANDROID phone, it would default to Google...but no....:mad:

Anyway, can someone who has the update check for me? Thanks!

I don't understand why Samsung thought people would prefer to have things saved to the phone over saving to the cloud. It's just such a silly idea.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I can't speak for all Android phones but to be honest, the lack of an LED notification is not exactly a huge let down for me simply because the LED I've seen on a few other Android Devices (Droid 1 and 2, Evo) is pretty weak. If you're outside it's damn near impossible to see without looking directly at it. And at that point I might as well just hit the unlock button for 2 or 3 seconds.

Nothing like the LED on BlackBerry's. So again it's not a huge dealbreaker for me to begin with.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
NoLED is actually better than the LED on my BB because 1) the LED on the blackberry timed out after some amount of time that I never quite figured out how long. 2) on the BB there was one light that signaled everything. All you knew is that something had happened with the phone.

With NoLED the notifications stays on indefinitely and you get a different symbol for different events. It doesn't seem to work quite as well with K-9 as with the stock gmail app, but its still good. With the stock app if I opened the message on my computer the notification on my phone would go away. Also, I could have a symbol for gmail and a different symbol for my hotmail account (although I just discovered you can make each email account a different color). Neither is a huge deal though.

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
You can't find it because it hasn't been posted for general consumption yet. Be patient and let the developers get everything playing nice together and package it up into an easily applied update.

Too many phones have been bricked by people flashing files before they know what they are. This update contains a modem update and we do NOT have a previous modem.bin file for the Fascinate so for the modem this is a one way trip! As such the developers want to be damn sure this doesn't get released to the masses and cause major problems or prevent future updates.

Right now - be patient... It will come. If you have the skills to flash this update then you already know where to find it. If not - be patient.

A little new to Samsung, but i've been around the block on the HTC platforms, so is the Modem file similar to the radio file on an HTC device? If so it's kind of understandable that the devs are being cautious as downgrades on most HTC devices (without s-off) are not a trivial process.

That said, this thing is clearly out there if you want to find it and are willing to risk upgrading to a dead end. Personally, I wouldn't even be considering it if it wasn't for a business trip where GPS would come in handy next week. I'm about 99.9% sure i found the files after about 2 mins of google work. Even found a JT version of the rom, but not sure if it's worth upgrading to since there isn't a clear path back to stock just yet.

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Adiliyo: Is text messaging a little bit wonky with this radio? I'm not having the issue of it not working at all, as some reported in IRC, but it seems a little slow when sending.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere weeks ago that it was rolling out in Europe too. I wouldn't get too excited as that hasn't made a difference for us.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Precisely why pitting all the blame on Samsung is pointless. Each day that passes it becomes more of a carrier issue than Samsung if you ask me.

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
From what I have heard from a source, Verizon won't even have a test build sent to them until this month.

So really, who is to blame? ;)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz