Captivate FOTA Software update

fadetoblack2104

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Well I said screw it since I was at work and decided to install even though I was still rooted and had the lag fix still. Seems to have worked fine for me. Hopefully this wasn't the wrong thing to do?!?

obtix

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Ugh! I am checking for the update every few hours by moving the date ahead. Each time it says the update is not available yet. This is getting annoying. Anyone have a way to force the update? Or to get ATT to bump me up?

rob6188#AC

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Update went fine for me last night. Took about 30 minutes to download, 5 minutes to update and boot to home screen. Same pause at 50% as most, but no problems.

Unrooted, pretty much stock phone.

Tested gps immediately after update. It locked in about 10 seconds with google nav. Will test more today. My gps was about 50/50 before, locking in seconds to not locking at all after 5 minutes - even on clear days.
I'm particularly going to test the accuracy over my 25 mile commutes. It used to jumped blocks at a time, messing up directions all the time.

I have almost 1000 pics on the phone, so I can't tell if the media scan is any faster, but the gallery view is much snappier now.

wlj777

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
yes! good thinking! according to one other forum, this update removes the "PC Internet" button from the USB choices and therefore disables tethering. I think this was the sole purpose in releasing this update as many have discovered this tethering work around. Quick Office is already a free app, and the other improvements, according to others here, is of no import. AT&T is just screwing with your phone!

fadetoblack2104

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Seems that after the update when I browse the web Im taken to the mobile site by default where as before i was taken to the full svite before. This goes for all sites

BigTex

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I am stuck on 99% and have been for last 30 min. Only option is to Cancel and try again. Anyone else have this issue?

Jake770

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Got the update last light. GPS is better. The PC Internet USB setting is now gone. So i have not been able to figure out how to tether it to my laptop.

oldbbman

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Two days in a row I have been told to update and been told both times "cannot connect to AT&T server". I guess the folks in the update area don't communicate with the folks at the server area.............lol:)

Zotz

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
What are your LBS modifications to get a 30 sec fix? thanks

Here are the notable settings:

Operation Mode = MS Based
Server = supl.google.com
Server Port = 7276
SUPL Secure Socket = Off
Use Skyhook = Off (I turned it off after the update)

I get a lock in about 20 seconds or so.

My son's stock Captivate took the update flawlessly, and gets a lock in about the same time or less. His phone, however cannot reach LBS Test Mode any longer, as others here have also experienced.

Zotz

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Notes from last night:

• Nearly all AT&T bloatware had been previously removed.
  • Rolled back the One-Click Lag Fix and One-Click Root.
  • Removed the EXT2 Tools.
  • Did not uninstall the One-Click App.
  • Download completed successfully.
  • Installation reached 100%, but failure indicated, then rebooted.
  • After reboot, installation failure indicated.
  • LBS Test Mode is still available.
  • GPS got a fix in about 20 seconds.
  • Checked Internal Version screen:
PDA: I897UCJF6
Phone: I897UCJH7
CSC: I897ATTJF6
Build Time: 2010.06.27 @ 15:47:22 KST
Changelist: 406399

Apparently only the phone was updated. Everything else broke. I'm curious about what the update process is checking and stopping on. Perhaps our talented developers on here have an idea.

Radicalee

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
Other problems with the FOTA

I tried to do the update. It hosed my phone. Dead as a doornail. I'm not sure what went wrong. It began the reboot process and then never came back up. AT&T is sending me a new one -- but that means I'm back to my old Eternity for a few days. Anybody else have this problem?

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
All I know is that my GPS actually got worse. Before the update I could generally get lock with in a couple of minutes. After the update I have yet to get a lock even after sitting the phone on the deck rail in the backyard with clear sky for over 15 minutes no obstruction. The same day within 1 hour my car GPs was able to get a lock in less than a minute.

Now I'm upset about my GPS in the phone.

liquid64

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I tried to do the update. It hosed my phone. Dead as a doornail. I'm not sure what went wrong. It began the reboot process and then never came back up. AT&T is sending me a new one -- but that means I'm back to my old Eternity for a few days. Anybody else have this problem?
I am sorta in this same boat. I recieved notification of the update wednesday, and it started downloading (over Edge, of all things). I ended up canceling it because I needed my phone (Happened to be at work at the time). Anyway, when I got back around to looking at my phone, it said that the download was done, and that I needed to reboot my phone. After doing so, it came to a White screen, where it (I assume) started processing the update. It fails, and says it will reboot my phone. It goes to a black screen, and then nothing.... It wouldn't turn on or anything. I contacted AT&T, and they put me in touch with Samsung tech support. Long story short, I sent it off Wednesday, and hope to get it back early this week. The funny thing is that the Samsung tech guy claims that it will have Froyo on it, when I get it back... That remains to be seen though.

GQ50

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
My GPS is a little better. Actually I when I put it on vibrate while at work, it won't vibrate when I receive a text. Tried rebooting atleast twice...nothing. I get the text and notification but the phone will not vibrate. I can get a call, email, Facebook message, low battery and it'll vibrate but text..nothing. any idea's? Oh when I have it on sound, sound works...just vibrate doesn't.

EWP000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I unlockerd my Captivate and use it with another carrier outside US. It's not rooted!

In order to update to JH7, ATT says that we msut have an account.
Is it possible to update to JH7 without ATT, by Samsung site or another?

Tks

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I am an ATT customer and my Captivate failed on the OTA Update. I just downloaded JH7 from samfirmware and used Odin to right over JF6 after I reverted back to stock, rooted and re-enabled non market apps! The JH7 upgrade I did, locked the phone but Non Market Apps was still enabled. Re-Rooted and removed all the bloatware. The GPS is still teh same for me.. Oh Well!

HTH,
Charlie