air dock: wireless charging with magnets!!!

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Looking at their video, looks to me like you can rotate the charger to situate the microUSB port wherever you wish.

The tester units are using a straight ball joint. Can turn any way you want.

Are the final units not made with a straight ball joint?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I can assure that you cannot spin the charging plate. The joint that connects the charging plate to the ball joint is curved in my "early adopter version". It's a bit of a bummer.

I've posted photos here: xda-developers - View Single Post - Air dock ... Wireless charger for your car

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
finally received my airdock last week. the unit is exactly what i expected. it feels cheap (no weight) but it works just as described. the magnet doesn't seem strong enough to hold the n5 but it is. i have the white n5 so the back is not smooth enough for it to stick. plus i have a layer of sticker (also not smooth) but it's still strong enough to hold it in it's place (it has not fallen off in the 1 wk use). i give this product 7/10. -1 for price, -1 for feeling so cheap, and -1 the time it took for me to receive it. but overall, if you want a magnetic qi charger for your car, you don't have much choice and this one is def living up to my standards.

one thing to note, i have this airdock placed on the lower left hand corner of the windshield and i don't touch it (one of the benefits of a magnetic dock). it does fall off from the window on it's own however. i'm guessing the temperature change in the car causes the sticky stuff to lose grip (going from hot to cold or cold to hot). the sticky stuff (the part that touched the window) is very sticky so if it falls on your seat or floor, it will accumulate dirt, lint, etc... but you can clean it with warm water and everything will fall off (no big deal).

overall, i am very happy with this purchase. if it was $15-20 cheaper and had some weight to it (with stronger magnet of course to offset the unit weight), this has the potential to be a 10/10 product.

darjay

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I was an early subscriber and I love how it holds my Samsung Galaxy S3. The only problem I'm having is getting the mount to stick to any other plastic part of the car. It doesnt even stick to the dash for a long time, like it is suppose to. I have a Toyota Sienna with Navigation so I dont need to use my GS3 and was hoping to put the Air Dock somewhere between the front seats on a material similar to the dash, but that isn't working either. If I would get a flat AirDock, that might work better for me. If Greg is reading this, that might be another design he considers.

netmore

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I do not see how this product will ever make it. They have no phone support and he has quit responding to simple emails. A two minute phone call is all I would need to answer my questions. No one wants to spend $70 if the damn thing doesn't work. I have a Galaxy S5 with the wireless new back cover. First it wasn't compatible, now it is. It was out of stock, now it appears it is in. Do I get the one with magnets or not? There is a pull down menu for normal or S4. Which do I order? No answer to any emails. Horrible customer support. This guy may be a genius but he is no businessman. What he does not understand is that I am a loud mouth Realtor that would turn on all of my techie friends to this product if he could get me the right model that works. I realize this product is new and evolving but can he deliver or not? Pretty frustrating.

mikemcq1

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I've gotten excellent response to support emails. First was inquiring about which model to use for the S5. 2nd was about the suction cup holder which had a wrinkle in the material so it wasn't holding onto my windshield...quick response and sent an improved version immediately. Now it sticks to almost any surface of my car. Mine did stop working a few days ago, and I sent an email on Saturday the 28th, so we'll see if they keep up the solid trend for me.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I just emailed them today. I hope they treat me the same! My mount has wrinkles and simply will not hold...

byqa5u6e.jpg

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So far, no response. I even sent them the picture above. I hope they respond soon...

mikemcq1

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Did you ever get a response?

Mine took longer than previous attempts at customer service, but ultimately got taken care of. I had my AirDock replaced when it just stopped working.

I'm guessing he/they are getting much heavier volume on CS requests than they were a couple months ago and are having a much harder time keeping up.

Email response time was almost immediate two months ago, now it's a week or more.

Posted via Android Central App

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes I did. They sent new mount....works great now. However, had problems with the actual charger plate. It was working very sporadic. They said send back the charger plate and they'll replace it, free of charge.

bakacoriolis

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I've got two, one for my car and the other for my desk (also have a Panasonic TM101 on my bedside table). The one in my car worked for a day then it stopped working. I emailed them and it took a few days to get an exchange/RMA. I originally had a white casing but they sent me a black one, I never knew there was a black one at all.

Anyways, as for the dock, the provided suction mounts are pretty terrible. Also, sometimes I have to unplug the microusb cable from the source as it sometimes doesn't work, possibly a voltage issue? I may try to hardwire and pull power from the fusebox instead of the 12v outlet (which is also shared by a dashcam).

Y3eURINl.jpg

kRcTQ37l.jpg

Q3bocTdl.jpg

6Zvbt4dl.jpg

PdsrxqNl.jpg

hGUmwoMl.jpg

jLYpQull.jpg

noturbizniss

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes I did. They sent new mount....works great now. However, had problems with the actual charger plate. It was working very sporadic. They said send back the charger plate and they'll replace it, free of charge.
How long did they take to respond to you? I emailed a few weeks ago with questions and got an answer wihtin two days. last week I emailed 3 times about a return and it is not going on 10 days with narry a word.

franciscusmarie

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm having pretty good experiences with it, but it does slip of at least once a week...not using a cover or anything. Am I doing something wrong, or is it possible my unit is faulty? magnets are less strong or something?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter