Alcatel warranty service refused because of using the phone while charging

aaronhayes

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
My Alcatel dealer has refused to accept my Alcatel 1b for warranty service (battery draining quickly) because I admitted to using the phone while it is connected to the charger. Users on other general Android forums are of the opinion that using the phone while charging does not damage the battery or the phone, but I need to print out something to that effect from an official Alcatel website or manual to show my dealer. Can anyone suggest where I can find some official Alcatel information to prove or disprove that using the phone while charging voids my warranty?
The phone was purchased about 8 weeks ago. I live in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea and these batteries are not available for purchase in my city - I would have to order from overseas. This is why it's important to get my dealer to stand by the warranty.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How old is the battery? The warranty in the manual specifically states that the warranty only covers the battery for up to 6 months: https://www.alcatelmobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Alcatel-1B_5002F_UM_EN_V0.1_20200121.pdf

On Alcatel's main site (https://us.alcatelmobile.com/warranty/), their general warranty states: "TCT will not be responsible for failure to use the battery in accordance with the specific instructions of core outlined in the product user manual." I can't find anywhere in the manual linked above stating that the user should not use the phone while plugged in to avoid damaging the battery, so you could show them those two documents.

But the battery is removable in the first place, so is it worth the trouble going through all of this, compared to buying a replacement battery?

aaronhayes

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
The phone was purchased about 8 weeks ago. I live in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea and these batteries are not available for purchase in my city - I would have to order from overseas. This is why it's important to get my dealer to stand by the warranty.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Heat degrades batteries and so can leaving them charging at 100% for lengthy periods of time. Using your phone while it's charging will also generate more heat especially if doing something intense like playing games.

With that said, it usually takes months or more than a year to degrade a battery and I've never heard of a warranty being void by using a phone while it's charging.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How old is the battery? The warranty in the manual specifically states that the warranty only covers the battery for up to 6 months: https://www.alcatelmobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Alcatel-1B_5002F_UM_EN_V0.1_20200121.pdf

On Alcatel's main site (https://us.alcatelmobile.com/warranty/), their general warranty states: "TCT will not be responsible for failure to use the battery in accordance with the specific instructions of core outlined in the product user manual." I can't find anywhere in the manual linked above stating that the user should not use the phone while plugged in to avoid damaging the battery, so you could show them those two documents.

But the battery is removable in the first place, so is it worth the trouble going through all of this, compared to buying a replacement battery?

I can't find anything in the manual about charging the battery much less not to use it while it's charging. I see no reason for a warranty to be refused based on information given.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Ok, then show them those two documents, and ask them to justify not honoring the warranty based on the information made available to the consumer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bethel