Anyone switch from iPhone 5/5S to Nexus 5? Any regrets?

TechNut13

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I have tried 3 different players. I am currently using Rocket Player, the premium edition. Which one are you using? If I can find a player that fixes this issue, that would be golden.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have tried 3 different players. I am currently using Rocket Player, the premium edition. Which one are you using? If I can find a player that fixes this issue, that would be golden.

I'm using Poweramp but I'm sure it's one you've tried.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Well here is my spin on all of this - disclaimer..I am a fan of both OSs

Been a iPhone user since day one but have also had many Android devices along the way. Just went from an iPhone 5 to the N5 and has been a great experience so far. I have a 310k model as well and don't have any rattle this rattle that problems. The N5 is simply a must buy. Not a huge case user, so this soft touch matte black N5 is so comfortable and not slippery at all in the hand, like every iPhone has been.

iOS 7 was a much needed improvement and way better than older iOS software. For those who think its laggy or buggy, blah blah?try setting your device up as new and stop restoring from old iOS backups (all your contacts, calendars, etc can still be added when Setup Assistant asks you if you'd like to use iCloud). My iP5 works like a charm on iOS 7, simple as that. Boring yes, but super smooth.

No regrets switching from iOS to Android, but I haven't truly switched from iOS because the iPhone 5 is still in my possession and also use an iPad Mini Retina as well?I am however using the N5 is my daily driver and LOVE using it.

Oh and it cost $400 unlocked?no brainier IMO

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Well here is my spin on all of this - disclaimer..I am a fan of both OSs

Been a iPhone user since day one but have also had many Android devices along the way. Just went from an iPhone 5 to the N5 and has been a great experience so far. I have a 310k model as well and don't have any rattle this rattle that problems. The N5 is simply a must buy. Not a huge case user, so this soft touch matte black N5 is so comfortable and not slippery at all in the hand, like every iPhone has been.

iOS 7 was a much needed improvement and way better than older iOS software. For those who think its laggy or buggy, blah blah?try setting your device up as new and stop restoring from old iOS backups (all your contacts, calendars, etc can still be added when Setup Assistant asks you if you'd like to use iCloud). My iP5 works like a charm on iOS 7, simple as that. Boring yes, but super smooth.

No regrets switching from iOS to Android, but I haven't truly switched from iOS because the iPhone 5 is still in my possession and also use an iPad Mini Retina as well?I am however using the N5 is my daily driver and LOVE using it.

Oh and it cost $400 unlocked?no brainier IMO

The unlocked price is killer. There really isn't a better deal out there.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Maybe a change of player would help for music? I have no complaints, it sounds perfect to me.

That's the one complaint I see people converting from ios say. I say that's because of apples locked down one for all system. On android if an music app isn't to your liking or isn't loud enough just switch players. Personally I use google music and fusion with the fusion music eq for both players and music sounds awesome.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
That's the one complaint I see people converting from ios say. I say that's because of apples locked down one for all system. On android if an music app isn't to your liking or isn't loud enough just switch players. Personally I use google music and fusion with the fusion music eq for both players and music sounds awesome.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)

I think there lies the problem to a certain degree. You have to go searching for a solution to a problem right out of the box. I would imagine some people would have an issue with this. I really like Android, but one thing that bothers me is that depending in the device you have, your out of the box experience could be completely different. With some devices you may have to download apps to complete your overall experience and with some others maybe not as much. I bought my father, who isn't a techie, a Nexus and for the whole year that he had it, he didn't know that he could get visual voicemail or that if he downloaded another video player that he would be able to watch the videos I would send him from my iPhone. Last year I bought him the S4 and he really didn't have those issues because out of the box it had a lot of those software features he had been missing.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Well thats not the os fault that's the individual user. Some ios converts like touchwiz some like the simplicity of a nexus like device.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback. I love my 5s just really wish it had a bigger screen. I think I am going to give the Nexus 5 a try.

If you love iPhone it doesn't strike me as the sort of person who would love Android. I went away from iOS because I was starting to hate all the limitations of the platform. I think you should stick with iOS or you'll end up like poster #2 in this thread.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Actually I have not tried that one. I just tried it now and it is even better then Rocket Player. Not quite as loud but clearer. I will continue to use it and decide weather to keep it. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm glad it may work out better. :D

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
In my experience with this phone and my gnex poweramp was the loudest and had the most sound settings rocket player is up there also.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Poweramp has a lot of fun settings too. My only complaint is playlists aren't as smooth to set up as they should be.

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I have both right now. Not sure which one I will keep for the long haul.

5S
strengths (IMO) :
- A faster camera which includes some extras such as slo-mo and burst. The Nexus 5 camera is not bad at all and includes some settings the 5s does not have.

- A better looking screen. It's small but I still think the colors are deeper.

- iMessage - most of the people I know have iMessage. I can get their messages on my macbook, iMac and iPad. SMS and iMessages are in one thread. I can send videos via iMessage. Haven't found anything like that in Android.

- backup. If I replace my 5s with a new one, everything gets replaced without much intervention by me. Pics, texts, everything.
- Copy and Paste. I can copy and paste an image. Stock android I can't, which honestly, is incredible (in a bad way).

- iTunes. Not so much iTunes itself but the fact that if I buy song on one device, it automatically shows up ready to go on all others. Google Play Music is somewhat there but I detest the whole "pinning" of music and having to go to the desktop to actually download a song. It's a real PITA. In order for Google Voice commands to fully work, I have to have the music actually downloaded on my Nexus 5.

- Lock Screen notifications. Personally, for me these are important. Apple has these right IMO. Phone dings and I can look over and see the text, email or alert displayed. I know Android has a few workarounds ie NILS but they don't really come close and seem more like hacks than anything.

- email. Apple's email interface is clean with the ability to swipe to delete. I like it much better than the stock email app with Android (or any of the purchased apps which invariably almost look exactly like the stock app)

Nexus 5
- Screen size. The 5s is too small (I think the Moto X has the exact right size but its camera is terrible).

- Google Now. This is the killer app IMO. It is also on iOS, but on iOS it is slow to load and doesn't have all of the features as the Android version. It blows iOS's "Today" out of the water.
- Widgets and customization. iOS has gotten to be a total bore. Android allows me to make the phone look like I want it to.

- Voice Command. Not a huge advantage with the Nexus 5 because the screen has to be on, which means I still have to probably push a button, ie like I have to with my 5s. The Moto X has this right, but again, the camera is terrible.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
A. iTunes. Not so much iTunes itself but the fact that if I buy song on one device, it automatically shows up ready to go on all others. Google Play Music is somewhat there but I detest the whole "pinning" of music and having to go to the desktop to actually download a song. It's a real PITA. In order for Google Voice commands to fully work, I have to have the music actually downloaded on my Nexus 5.

B. Lock Screen notifications. Personally, for me these are important. Apple has these right IMO. Phone dings and I can look over and see the text, email or alert displayed. I know Android has a few workarounds ie NILS but they don't really come close and seem more like hacks than anything.

C. email. Apple's email interface is clean with the ability to swipe to delete. I like it much better than the stock email app with Android (or any of the purchased apps which invariably almost look exactly like the stock app)

Just some pointers. I may be misunderstanding, just trying to be helpful :).

A. When you buy a track from Google it's automatically added to your library. You don't need to pin it unless you want to download it. I am pretty sure it's the same way with iTunes. You don't need to download anything for voice commands. I can tell Google Now to play Jack Johnson and it will pull it from my online library or, if I don't have him synced to Google Music, play the All Access track.

B. I completely agree. It's something Google really needs to figure out as its my last real pet peeve with Android.

C. The Gmail and stock Email app let's you swipe to delete or archive depending on your settings. I find it's a lot more convenient than my iPad. With my iPad I have to swipe and then hit archive/delete. On my N5 it's a simple swipe.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Just some pointers. I may be misunderstanding, just trying to be helpful :).

A. When you buy a track from Google it's automatically added to your library. You don't need to pin it unless you want to download it. I am pretty sure it's the same way with iTunes. You don't need to download anything for voice commands. I can tell Google Now to play Jack Johnson and it will pull it from my online library or, if I don't have him synced to Google Music, play the All Access track.

B. I completely agree. It's something Google really needs to figure out as its my last real pet peeve with Android.

C. The Gmail and stock Email app let's you swipe to delete or archive depending on your settings. I find it's a lot more convenient than my iPad. With my iPad I have to swipe and then hit archive/delete. On my N5 it's a simple swipe.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I appreciate the info.

A. I really don't want to download the music My problem is that I have never been able to get Voice Command to work properly with music that is not downloaded to the device. I posted another thread on here and on XDA and the responses I got from others is that Voice Commands with Google Play Music is essentially spotty and/or broken. I can say "listen to song name" and it works most of the time (but not all - for example "listen to "cowboy" doesn't play "cowboy" it brings up a google search for "cowboy"). Listen to Artist is completely broken. I've never been able to get it to work unless the music is physically downloaded (not pinned) to the device. This was true of both the Moto X I tried and the Nexus 5. Same behavior for both. If I say listen to Van Halen, the Google Play Music pops up but results in "no results found".

C. I'll try the stock app. Thanks for that info.

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Jeez. All of the above and I'm yet to be convinced. Nexus 5 or iPhone 5c/s?

A background: I have an iPhone 4 and about to come off a 3 year contract, so thinking of an upgrade. Its currently running the most recent iOS and seems to be doing it well enough. But I appreciate that it could have hardware issues (the battery's life, for example, isn't what it once was) or issues with further iOS upgrades.
I also have a Nexus 7 (2012), also running the most recent OS - and running about 98% of the same apps I have on my iPhone.

- Now, there's an argument for the iPhone insofar as I have the Apple 'infrastructure' - that is, a Mac Air - but the stuff I regularly sync between the devices I am also able to sync with the Nexus. So that's not an issue.

- I really like the larger screen of the Nexus 5 over the Apple 5c/s. Older eyes appreciate that... ;-) Not to mention eyes that are seeking to grab info quickly while on the go.

- Its difficult to explain in any sort of coherent or specific matter and may not be based (entirely) in reality, but iOS feels more finished - fewer rough edges. Even the home pages, loaded with apps or widgets, in Google's version of Android seem incomplete or rough to me. It may simply be a design issue for me, but I can't get past it. The only best way to describe it (and I appreciate that this may exactly what appeals a certain group of users) is that the OS / visual Qs all feel very 'Developer's OS' to me. And as I have no real desire to get all geeky and play with the OS - I just want it to work - this bugs me.

- While I use iTunes (both on the 4 and on my desktop), a majority of my tunes, etc are of my own and not bought from the Store. And the tunes I have bought from the Store are non-DRM and, as such, I am just as likely to play using VLC or are already copied over to my Nexus for play there.

- I 'get' the advantage of the auto daily syncs to the Cloud with iPhone. I've yet to see that on Google's Android.

- Speaking of which, Google is just as guilty as Apple with loading their OS with their owned branded bloatware - and are possibly worse at pushing users to use it to gain the full mobile OS 'experience'. And, like Apple, a lot of these products are substandard and cannot be uninstalled to reclaim valuable storage space.

- If (when) something goes wrong with the mobile phone, I can take the iPhone to my local Apple Store and say 'fix it'. Just as likely, they'll hand me a replacement there and then. Something goes wrong with my Nexus 7 (or 5) and it'll be a flurry of internet conversations and it'll disappear off to an unknown destination for an indeterminate time. As my primary phone, this to occur with the Nexus 5 is unacceptable. While I am very gentle to my mobile phones in general, the Nexus 5 has to be rock solid. I'm not sure I'm reading that assessment anywhere.

- Price, of course, is in Google's favour. That said, with my current Provider on a Plan, the iPhone 5c (16GB) is only $30 more than the Nexus 5 (16 GB).

So...decisions, decisions...

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
It's often hard to make a change, but if you do you'll quickly get used to Android. And AC is here if you run into any problems.

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Reading this thread while I wait for my wife to get ready. What I've noticed is that many iPhone users have no clue that Android does all the same things. Its amazing really.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe