Are screen protectors necessary?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yep I've never used a screen protector except for the ones that came built into my cases. I'm pretty ocd about how I treat/carry my phones, and have never scratched a screen. Phone screens are pretty tough nowadays.

scotiez1

Oct 12, 2018
Visit site
Earlier I posted that I didn't want to use a screen protector. Past galaxy's that I have owned I never put one on. The other day I noticed a deep scratch in my Note 20 ultra display. I have no idea how it got there. I always use a phone pouch on my belt and never put my phone in my pocket. So I am puzzled on how my phone got this scratch. I decided to go the safe way and I ordered the Whitestone glass screen protector. Was a pain to put on but after I was finished I can hardly tell its there. I use the Samsung clear case with my phone and seems to be no problems with the edges. Also I didn't even have to reregister my finger prints. Screen seems to be just as sensitive as it was with out. So now I am rockin a screen protector. I guess extra protection is better than none.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Earlier I posted that I didn't want to use a screen protector. Past galaxy's that I have owned I never put one on. The other day I noticed a deep scratch in my Note 20 ultra display. I have no idea how it got there. I always use a phone pouch on my belt and never put my phone in my pocket. So I am puzzled on how my phone got this scratch. I decided to go the safe way and I ordered the Whitestone glass screen protector. Was a pain to put on but after I was finished I can hardly tell its there. I use the Samsung clear case with my phone and seems to be no problems with the edges. Also I didn't even have to reregister my finger prints. Screen seems to be just as sensitive as it was with out. So now I am rockin a screen protector. I guess extra protection is better than none.
Glad to hear that !

RTD212

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
The Note 20 is the first ever phone I used without a screen protector and have zero regrets. The screen has held up well. No plans on ever putting a screen saver on.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I understand the new glass in all but the cost of a screen and the cost of the screen protector it seems like a no brainier to me.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well ever since i made this post. I have never used a screen protector. Except for a few hours few days back when i was doing a DIY screen protector. There are scratches on my screen and a chip on the back. Not a big issue.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't think one needs a screen protector but it's just added sense of comfort to those that need it for their OCD or something.... me included. I think over normal use a few very fine little scratches here and there is just normal wear and ok but I just hate to see it when the phone is new so I put one on.

My routine with phones would be brand new I get a screen protector and run with it for the first year and then once the newness wears off I usually end up taking off the protector, admire the difference in look and feel and go naked with it for the remainder of my ownership... another year or so. And when I look at all the devices I've had... not a single scratch. Maybe a few superfine ones if I really have to look?? And I'm probably babying less during that time then I did the first year. I look at all the iPads I've had over the years never having a protector and nothing either.

My wife she hates protectors even tempered on her iPhones... tried putting one on her 10 then 11 Pro and she just took it off. She plays beach volleyball a few times a month so she'll get sand all over her stuff and me I'd go nuts if there was one grain near my screen but she just wipes off and looks fine. If I look closely I may find super super fine ones but she doesn't care. Her Apple Watch too. More power to her.

Now if you are a clumsy person, then maybe more for avoiding cracks. Since the iPhone1, I can probably count with one, may both my hands, the times I've dropped my phone. But never cracked or killed a phone so I don't buy protectors for that reason.

My daughter has never cracked any of her phones either, but she's dropped her phone in front of me for no reason more times I care to remember. So when her iPhone 12 Pro came in yesterday, I put the Spigen glass on it the moment I took off the plastic film off the screen and gave it to her as her belated grad present. She doesn't care about scratches either but she accepts it to humor me lol.

That is a nice grad present for her! I agree - it almost causes me physical pain when a loved one drops their phone in front of me!

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
My old Nokia Lumia Icon was 6 years old, never a screen protector, and no scratches. That had Gorilla glass 3. My new Pixel 5 has Gorilla glass 6, I'm not worried about scratches.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe