AT&T Variant Wireless Charging - PMA Again or Qi?

dpend

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Apologies if this info is already out there, but I couldn't find it. Does anyone know if the AT&T Model of the G4 will support Qi wireless charging with the appropriate case/back or is it going to be PMA again like the G3 was? Thanks!

flippedout

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
To get wireless charging you need LG's circle case, it is not standard (per any info available yet). However, I am sure you can go on eBay and find a new back with Qi built in...the connectors are all there for it.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
To get wireless charging you need LG's circle case, it is not standard (per any info available yet). However, I am sure you can go on eBay and find a new back with Qi built in...the connectors are all there for it.
That's not the question he was asking. The G3 on AT&T wasn't qi compatible. It was only compatible with PMA.

anon(92475)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
This is literally the only thing that makes me nervous about the G4. I really want Qi charging, but after the PMA fiasco on AT&T with the G3, I'm unsure.

Posted via the Android Central App

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I've been waiting for this information to come out also. Something's been telling me PMA again. I'm fine as I have both, but I would rather have QI.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

dpend

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I've pre-ordered the AT&T version with BestBuy... keeping my fingers crossed it's Qi.. but may end up going the TMo route as I did with the G3. I may try a chat with AT&T support.. just for a laugh. I'll post back anything I find.

rsl#AC

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
One of the video reviews showed 3 LG circle cases and said one type was a Qi wireless charging back. Unfortunately I haven't found any info on cost or availability yet, and no info on a separate back (without the flip circle cover) that could be used with any other cases.
Roger

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
No. The LG G4 does not have Qi Charging out of the box. It will take a new back cover or a sticker just like the G3 did when it came out. Why? Ask LG. They should have built it into their backs, but I'm guessing it was an expense thing, although, come on. It can't be that expensive.

Also, no the G3's sticker/back plate will not work.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
What many here don't seem to understand is AT&T removed Qi charging for the G3 and stickers or backs didn't work to give you Qi charging. Only PMA charging was available on AT&T.

I personally refused to buy the G3 because you also couldn't buy it unlocked from the manufacturer, and even complained to AT&T about the issue.

dpend

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
scottysize - To clarify, once again.. I know the G4 does not have wireless charging out of the box. The issue of this thread is if the AT&T variant (with the correct case/back/sticker) will support the Qi Wireless Charging standard, or if it will be the PMA standard as it was with the G3.

dpend

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Just heard back from LG.. "we have no details on carrier specific models at this time"... helpful. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

dpend

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Great news! (Or at least it is for me) Just finished a web chat with AT&T:

" Thank you for waiting Dan, this model does use the Qi standard for charging"

I'll still be happier when I've seen it with my own eyes, but I am encouraged.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

I would save that Web chat in case you preorder and find out later that it doesn't have the feature and want to return with out paying a restocking fee.

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site

Post pack to confirm when you get your phone.

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I'd also posted this question on the AT&T product page for the Wireless Charging Quick Circle case - LG G4 Wireless Charging Folio Case -- AT&T. AT&TMobilityCare just posted: "The LG G4 Wireless Charging Case is Compatible with Qi Compliant Wireless Charging Devices". So at least AT&T are all saying the same thing!

I'll keep my fingers crossed, but in the fine print it says Powermat. Let's hope that's a copy/paste error...