Bought a Note 3, only received a Note 3 "box"

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
As someone else mentioned, you might want to put a hold on your CC charge as well. You can't expect a company to do the right thing, which is partly the company's fault, and part society's fault as I'm sure the company has been victim of people trying to scam them as well. Kind of sad actually, but it's pretty much where we are today as a society.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Yes if you put in a claim with the CC company they will issue a charge back to Verizon and then it is up to Verizon to reply or they won't get the funds. Rather than waiting for Verizon to reply to you too get your phone/money.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
As someone else mentioned, you might want to put a hold on your CC charge as well. You can't expect a company to do the right thing, which is partly the company's fault, and part society's fault as I'm sure the company has been victim of people trying to scam them as well. Kind of sad actually, but it's pretty much where we are today as a society.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

When you say put a hold, what do you mean? Just call up amex and tell them to hold the charge?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
When you say put a hold, what do you mean? Just call up amex and tell them to hold the charge?

I guess you can call AmEx and tell them that the charge is coming, or wait until you get a statement and see the charge there. Either way, that would lead to them contacting Verizon.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
One thing I've learned from this story is not to sign until I opened and checked the package in the presence of the driver.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

Maybe a "hold" is the wrong terminology. You want to dispute the charge. Tell Amex that you purchased the item, but only received an empty box. Let them know that you've contacted Verizon (and fed ex if you did), and let them know that you're waiting to see if they're going to issue you a replacement. If Amex says anything then just tell them that you haven't received what you paid for. If anything, they'll put a hold on the funds until Verizon/Fed-Ex makes it right.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
One thing I've learned from this story is not to sign until I opened and checked the package in the presence of the driver.

He mentioned that someone else's signature was used to forge his name. This may make it a bit difficult to prove it wasn't you, although if the signature is obviously different, then it should fall on Fed Ex. IMO, the focus should go on the Fed-Ex driver that delivered the package. If they forged the signature to leave the package at the door, then they probably knew what was up.

If you like, you can fly us all to your house, then you can order a 2nd phone from Verizon, when the driver comes to deliver the box, we all come out from behind the bushes with baseball bats, and if the box is empty we play Fed-Ex pinata.....just a thought....

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
All I meant to say was that if I find the box empty with the driver standing in front of me, then the issue maybe can be addressed differently. And the driver may also have his own interest in having it addressed and not be considered a thief.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
All I meant to say was that if I find the box empty with the driver standing in front of me, then the issue maybe can be addressed differently. And the driver may also have his own interest in having it addressed and not be considered a thief.

If I read it correctly, I think he said someone forged his signature and left the box at the door. Another thing to take away from it is to inspect all delivered packages before signing.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
The latter is exactly what I'm planning to do from now on. Obviously, it's irrelevant to anything that had already happened.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If I read it correctly, I think he said someone forged his signature and left the box at the door. Another thing to take away from it is to inspect all delivered packages before signing.

Sorry for the confusion. According to tracking even as of this post , the package was delivered to a fedex facility on 8:xx am 12/4 and signed for by someone other than me.

It was delivered to my house around 5 pm 12/5. In hind sight, I should have figured something was up and I should have checked the package before signing. I just got home and was tired so I wasn't really thinking well. Stupid on my part I know.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Maybe a "hold" is the wrong terminology. You want to dispute the charge. Tell Amex that you purchased the item, but only received an empty box. Let them know that you've contacted Verizon (and fed ex if you did), and let them know that you're waiting to see if they're going to issue you a replacement. If Amex says anything then just tell them that you haven't received what you paid for. If anything, they'll put a hold on the funds until Verizon/Fed-Ex makes it right.

The thing is, I don't want to go through a dispute as even if I won the dispute, as let's say I do win, then I get all my money back. But my upgrade isn't reset and I have no Note 3. That means that even if I win, I am still out $670. Which admittedly is better than being out $950,but not the ideal outcome for me.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Looks like I will be waiting a little bit to see what Verizon says before contacting amex as they are asking for details of the merchant response.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386566338649.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386566338649.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 56
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386566355454.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386566355454.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 56
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386566370448.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386566370448.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 56
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386566384297.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386566384297.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 56

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
The thing is, I don't want to go through a dispute as even if I won the dispute, as let's say I do win, then I get all my money back. But my upgrade isn't reset and I have no Note 3.
are you sure that is true? When you return a phone within the 14 day upgrade period your upgrade gets restored.

I would think Verizon could look at your account and see how many new phones you have purchased over the years and realize that you are not a scammer.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
The thing is, I don't want to go through a dispute as even if I won the dispute, as let's say I do win, then I get all my money back. But my upgrade isn't reset and I have no Note 3. That means that even if I win, I am still out $670. Which admittedly is better than being out $950,but not the ideal outcome for me.

A dispute on the transaction holds the money, if the bank contacts Verizon and then Verizon makes good on delivery of the Note 3, then all you have to do is retract your dispute. If Verizon decides that you signed for the package and thus you accepted liability, and then denies your claim, it'll be harder for your bank to retract the funds. Look at it this way, if there's a hold on the funds then there's more incentive for Verizon to pursue this. Granted, for a multi-billion dollar company like Verizon I'm sure your couple of hundred bucks isn't that big a deal either, but at least you put a little more leverage in your corner to get things done.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Looks like I will be waiting a little bit to see what Verizon says before contacting amex as they are asking for details of the merchant response.

On the part that asks for Merchant response, just put "Pending".

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
are you sure that is true? When you return a phone within the 14 day upgrade period your upgrade gets restored.

I would think Verizon could look at your account and see how many new phones you have purchased over the years and realize that you are not a scammer.

Sure if I return the phone, but I would need to have the phone first to return it.

I hope you are right about them seeing me as a long time customer. We shall see.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
A dispute on the transaction holds the money, if the bank contacts Verizon and then Verizon makes good on delivery of the Note 3, then all you have to do is retract your dispute. If Verizon decides that you signed for the package and thus you accepted liability, and then denies your claim, it'll be harder for your bank to retract the funds. Look at it this way, if there's a hold on the funds then there's more incentive for Verizon to pursue this. Granted, for a multi-billion dollar company like Verizon I'm sure your couple of hundred bucks isn't that big a deal either, but at least you put a little more leverage in your corner to get things done.

American express can suggest that Verizon send me the phone, but the max that they can enforce is the amount charged on the card, which is $230 plus tax. If Verizon decides to just give a full refund of what is paid and call it a day then I would still be out $670.

And this is a possibility as their actual cost for the note 3 way exceeds $230.

If I had paid full retail then it would have been a different story.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Generally businesses will cop the loss as it makes more business sense to keep a client than to attract new ones as it's 5x more expensive to get new clients then the maintain.

In saying that in business law we were unofficially told it is in the best interest of the larger company to settle early to a) save legal costs b) not official admit liability c) limits potentially future loses from other cases as their would be minimal examples. D) limits expenses dealing with the matter e.g. employee time.

I have a feeling they will just send out a new one or refund / allow you to have another upgrade.

Unfortunately things like this can be a lot of paper work and requires patience.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloThere