Camera flash not working?

forgz

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
I just got the 32gb version of the Turbo. Overall I like it, but I can't seem to get the led flash to function properly.

I've turned on flash in the camera app, but it still take photos sans flash. I've also downloaded a couple "flashlight" apps and used them, but the leds don't turn on... Very rarely the flash will work for a picture (maybe 1-2x out of 100 photos taken). Did I get a dud or am I missing something?

Thanks.
-forgz

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Is HDR set on? I find sometimes the camera prefers that over flash.
I use TeslaLED for flashlight, had to change a seeing to get it to work.

forgz

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
So I've tried with and without HDR on in combination with auto/on flash in all sorts of lighting scenarios with no luck.

I've also tried Flashlight, Tiny Flashlight, and Tesla LED; all three no dice. However, when I turn on one of the app, the right led will flash on/off real-quick, but then never come on again.

I also just did a factory reset and am still having the same issue. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
In the camera app, have you tried turning the flash to on, then taking a video?

In TeslaLED, if you go into settings, at the very bottom there's an "LED Method" option. Try setting that to standard, if it still doesn't work, I'm out of ideas. At least it's still under warranty.

dcherne

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the exact same symptoms with my new Droid Turbo, right led will flash briefly when turning the flashlight on. Did you find a solution or replace the phone?

dcherne

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
I guess I found a "solution".

After 2 days of the flash not working it does now. First I wiped the phones cache partition, that made no difference. Then I booted into safe mode and that made no difference, flash still would only briefly flash the right LED when turning the flashlight on. Then I left the phone on playing movies until the battery wore down completely and the phone turned itself off. Charged the phone to 100%, turned it on, and the flash was now working properly again. I find it hard to believe wearing the battery down till the phone turned off actually did anything because it doesn't actually wear the battery down to nothing (it's not the same as removing the battery), but if you have this problem and your superstitious you might give it a try as well.

Now I'll see how long it takes before the problem arises again.

Rongwey

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I agree it's probably not the battery. I wonder how many of you use that option to turn the flashlight on and off with a shake of the phone. I'm not sure if that is part of the cause or if the glue holding the back against the contacts on the motherboard have something to do with it. The flash is actually a small piece attached to the back of the phone. I've noticed when I open a turbo to repair this problem that there are two very small spots worn through the gold on the flash board. The green of the board shows through and it's rubbed the gold off. While the part itself is fairly cheap, if the back isn't secured properly, you'll wind up with the tape coming loose. That's an easy repair too. Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devboilol