Confused about google/verizon phone number integration

Terry Wysocki

Sep 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a google voice number for my Verizon S10, but I think it's created some duplicity that I'd like to resolve. Somehow I end up making a call or sending a text and it goes out via my google phone number instead of the verizon number. This is confusing to the recipients and may even get blocked by them. I use Pulse for my SMS needs and used to see my texts listed in Gmail under the SMS heading, but that stopped a couple of months ago.

How can I prevent sending calls and texts with the google number and how can I get to see my text history in Gmail again?

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Have you checked your g voice settings to make sure you phone isn't set to call with your google number by default?

t_wysocki

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
In Voice | Settings | "Calls started from this devices phone app" | "Do you want to use your Google Voice number when calling...", I have it set to "No".
And 99% of my calls and text do go out using my phone's number. Just once in a while something happens and people will get a call or text from me via the Google number!

Another interesting thing is that under "Making and receiving calls", I have "Prefer wifi and mobile data" checked. But there's a note on that page that says "This does not affect calls started from the device's phone app". How else would I make a call from the phone!!?? WTF?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Another interesting thing is that under "Making and receiving calls", I have "Prefer wifi and mobile data" checked. But there's a note on that page that says "This does not affect calls started from the device's phone app". How else would I make a call from the phone!!?? WTF?
Samsung contradicting themselves on the same page? Yeah, I'd respond about the same way. I can understand receiving - if Verizon decides to send the call over VoLTE, that's how it goes. But making? That should be your choice. (Maybe it's a case of Korean getting mangled when translated to English.)

Nyvideo

May 28, 2012
Visit site
It's correct. In the Google voice app you can make a call and it goes out using your Google voice number. When doing that it follows those settings to use wifi or data first if that's what you selected. When using the phones dialer it uses what the carrier decides and there is a setting about making wifi calls.

When I want to return a call to a customer and don't want them knowing my cell # I dial from the Google voice app and they see that number. I also keep Google voice on do not disturb usually so they have to leave a message if they call that rather than my actual business number.