Decision day! Returning vs selling in a few weeks.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
As somebody coming from relatively Vanilla Android phones (Moto X, Nexus, then Oneplus 3), I'm seriously on the fence about this phone. I love the screen and the S-Pen, but *hate* with all my guts how Samsung is forcing their software on me. And remapping the Bixby button is not enough, there are many other areas where they're overbearing, e.g.

* the camera app won't allow me to review in Google Photos, which is vastly superior as an editing and sharing tool over Samsung's offering.
* the Notes app won't allow sharing to cloud services other than Samsung's, so I can't review my handwritten notes on my laptop or iPad.

These are two of the biggest gripes I still have with the phone, and since no solutions are in sight I'd currently say there's a 50% chance that I'll prefer the upcoming Pixel XL made by LG.

Today is the last day I can return the Note 8 to Best Buy. The Pixel won't be announced until early next week.

My question is this: How much of a loss should I expect if I hold on to the Note 8 for now and sell it on Craigslist in a few weeks? My thinking is that I'll sell it with the free fast charger and 128 GB card, and since these deals are not on anymore, perhaps I can recover closer to the $1000 I paid?

Thanks for your thoughts.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
You obviously have doubts about the phone. Just return it. Wait to see what the pixel is about then decide. You could always buy another Note if the pixel isn't what you want.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
There's samsung cloud but if you switch to the pixel it's not that handy. Google photos is nice. I use that without issue. Google is great as you probably already know for backing up everything like photos and contacts and calendar. Not sure on texts. AT&T backs them up for you. Verizon will if you turn on their messaging app. Not sure on other carriers.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
There's samsung cloud but if you switch to the pixel it's not that handy. Google photos is nice. I use that without issue. Google is great as you probably already know for backing up everything like photos and contacts and calendar. Not sure on texts. AT&T backs them up for you. Verizon will if you turn on their messaging app. Not sure on other carriers.

Have you found a way to use Google Photos with the Note 8's camera app? I want to be able to review photos in Google Photos, without closing the Samsung app and opening the Photos app every time.

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Good luck with the Pixel. I had one LG phone and I had nothing but problems with it. GPS would never work, text messages never received and forced to do factory resets countless times for annoying issues. My friends with LG phones encountered multiple problems as well.

Stealthieone

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
As somebody coming from relatively Vanilla Android phones (Moto X, Nexus, then Oneplus 3), I'm seriously on the fence about this phone. I love the screen and the S-Pen, but *hate* with all my guts how Samsung is forcing their software on me. And remapping the Bixby button is not enough, there are many other areas where they're overbearing, e.g.

* the camera app won't allow me to review in Google Photos, which is vastly superior as an editing and sharing tool over Samsung's offering.
* the Notes app won't allow sharing to cloud services other than Samsung's, so I can't review my handwritten notes on my laptop or iPad.

These are two of the biggest gripes I still have with the phone, and since no solutions are in sight I'd currently say there's a 50% chance that I'll prefer the upcoming Pixel XL made by LG.

Today is the last day I can return the Note 8 to Best Buy. The Pixel won't be announced until early next week.

My question is this: How much of a loss should I expect if I hold on to the Note 8 for now and sell it on Craigslist in a few weeks? My thinking is that I'll sell it with the free fast charger and 128 GB card, and since these deals are not on anymore, perhaps I can recover closer to the $1000 I paid?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Actually after I take a photo the link to Google photos appears

Attachments

• 1889.jpg
    1889.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 18

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like u have buyers remorse which is not surprising for a $1k device. You are trying to justify returning it I get that. You'll feel better if you do most likely. However, there's always something that COULD be better on the horizon. Go with your gut.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I use Google photos all the time. And I had the opposite reaction--I loathed the Pixel Xl because it lacked everything. I don't use a lot of Samsung's apps, but their messaging app is good and the internet browser is excellent, way better than Chrome. If you are someone who feels Samsung is forcing things on you, you should just return it and get what you are going to be happy with. I would think it would be easier to do that than to deal with trying to sell it. But good luck with whatever you decide. And btw, just my opinion. Bixby is actually really good for controlling your phone, I have just started figuring out how to use it.

Stealthieone

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I use Google photos all the time. And I had the opposite reaction--I loathed the Pixel Xl because it lacked everything. I don't use a lot of Samsung's apps, but their messaging app is good and the internet browser is excellent, way better than Chrome. If you are someone who feels Samsung is forcing things on you, you should just return it and get what you are going to be happy with. I would think it would be easier to do that than to deal with trying to sell it. But good luck with whatever you decide. And btw, just my opinion. Bixby is actually really good for controlling your phone, I have just started figuring out how to use it.

Why do you like Samsung Internet better than chrome.. I'm just curious