Delayed MMS with Google Messages??

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
So I tried using Google Messages for a bit. I love the RCS typing indicators, iphone emoji reactions, etc. However, I've had a couple instances where someone would send me text with a picture. The message would come through like usual but the attached picture/MMS wouldn't show up until hours later. I've only noticed this when I used Google Messages. I never noticed this when I used Samsung stock messages app, so I ended up switching back to Samsung messages.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Suggestions?

Note 20 Ultra 5G, t-mobile, latest security patch, Android 12.

Thank you!

joe1blue

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have the same phone on the same Tmobile but I've never experienced that long of a delay, maybe try turning off the phone and turning it back on.

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I have the same phone on the same Tmobile but I've never experienced that long of a delay, maybe try turning off the phone and turning it back on.

Thanks. I did that but didn't seem to help. I guess I should try again in the near future!

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Are you using a VPN or ad blocker?

Yes. Intermittently throughout the day when downloading videos or content. But not constantly for hours at a time. But could a message have been received while my VPN was active, yes definitely possible. That still happens today when I use stock Samsung messages.

Last edited:

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Intermittently throughout the day when downloading videos or content. But not constantly for hours at a time. But could a message have been received while my VPN was active, yes definitely possible. That still happens today when I use stock Samsung messages.

I have an ad blocker (ad blocker app uses vpn) and it interferes with RCS and sometimes MMS so I disable when I don't need it.

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I have an ad blocker (ad blocker app uses vpn) and it interferes with RCS and sometimes MMS so I disable when I don't need it.

that is really helpful to know. Thank you. I definitely didn't know that. I need to do more testing and see when/if MMS delays occur.

Have you personally had delayed MMS when your ad blocker was on? Or could you not tell?

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
that is really helpful to know. Thank you. I definitely didn't know that. I need to do more testing and see when/if MMS delays occur.

Have you personally had delayed MMS when your ad blocker was on? Or could you not tell?

Yes, I had to turn off the ad blocker and it came through.

Also, is your signal strong?

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I had to turn off the ad blocker and it came through.

Also, is your signal strong?

Signal is not strong where I work/use the VPN.

When you noticed your MMS didn't come through, how did you know? I didn't know until hours later it came through and then the entire conversation finally made sense. Only then did I realize something was wrong.

I think with Samsung messages when an MMS is delayed, I get an error in the thread and I can try to manually retrieve it (but it usually pops up later when the signal improves).

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Signal is not strong where I work/use the VPN.

When you noticed your MMS didn't come through, how did you know? I didn't know until hours later it came through and then the entire conversation finally made sense. Only then did I realize something was wrong.

I think with Samsung messages when an MMS is delayed, I get an error in the thread and I can try to manually retrieve it (but it usually pops up later when the signal improves).
I switch phones often and I happened to switch and saw an mms come in one phone and it did not come on the other phone. I had to try all kinds of trouble shooting. When I turned off the ad blocker and tried again it started to download the photo on the other phone that did not get the picture. Also group texts convert to mms so I wasn't getting some texts. The other person was using an iPhone so that also affects my group texts/mms

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I switch phones often and I happened to switch and saw an mms come in one phone and it did not come on the other phone. I had to try all kinds of trouble shooting. When I turned off the ad blocker and tried again it started to download the photo on the other phone that did not get the picture. Also group texts convert to mms so I wasn't getting some texts. The other person was using an iPhone so that also affects my group texts/mms

Thanks for the replies and help! Much appreciated ??????