Ear buds question

eikphoto

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
First of all if this has been answered else where and I mussed it, I apologize.

The ear buds with a mic and a remote designed for the iPhone have a different pin out than the ones designed for other phones. The ear buds still work and so does the mic but the remote does not on my SGN. I'm aware of the adapters they make to resolve this issue but I'm wondering if this pin out can be resolved via software. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

nicrom72

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
This doesn't exactly address your question directly but, Klipsch makes a set of ear buds made specifically for Android. I have them, they sound great and call quality on both ends is very good.
They are Klipsch Image S4A's and I recommend buying directly from their website because of all the fake ones that seem to be all over Ebay and Amazon.
Hope this helps

eikphoto

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
https://market.android.com/details?id=jp.co.chobirich.tools.mediabutton&hl=en

Aside: I read up on the headset 3.5" jack versus the regular 3.5" audio jack, and they are compatible because the "4th pin" is the microphone. And a regular 3.5 headphone jack just *shorts* the mic circuit, which is fine. How they implement the remote control is beyond me. Maybe it sends signals that are out of the range of hearing.

The controls get implemented by closing a contact between two wires. Depending on which two wires you close you get an input to the phone that changes either the volume or play and etc. Thus the pin out is different from iPhone head phones and other head phones. I can resolve this with an adapter that rewires the pin out but I'm wondering if this can be done with software.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

anon(525422)

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
But the pause and play functions work as is. Its the volume rocker I cannot get to work.

Not an expert whatsoever but I was intrigued by your question. But from searching around, everything points to it being impossible to get the volume controls working with a software workaround. (Even if that's inaccurate, there's nothing currently available that achieves it, at least.)

Android Market: Headset Button Controller

Not the app itself but this comment in the notes: " * Headset Button Controller cannot support the separate volume control buttons on the iPhone headset - this is a limitation of the Android framework."

And a few posts on XDA pointing to the same thing:

iPhone headset controls in android

iPhone headset volume control -- "Use logcat to check what keys are fired - no keys are fired in the Android system by the volume buttons. At all."

[BRAINSTORM] iPhone Headphone Control Keymaps...getting them recognized. -- Someone who tried to actively pursue a project for exactly what you're seeking, but it seemed to get shot down.

So whether it's actually a hardware issue, or (as the OP in that final thread suggests) if it's just the case that nobody's developed a driver (or whatever; I'm not a programmer!) at a sufficiently low level of the OS to detect the voltage changes across the pins that are generated by the volume buttons... either way, the solution doesn't currently appear to be out there. Sorry! :(

Reactions: eikphoto

eikphoto

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I figured as much. I made an adapter out of a 3.5 mm extension by reversing wires to match the correct pin out and I get the volume keys to work. You can buy an adapter that does that for you and it doesn't look home made but its very cumbersome to plug the adapter in and then the ear buds. Thanks for all the input guys!

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I figured as much. I made an adapter out of a 3.5 mm extension by reversing wires to match the correct pin out and I get the volume keys to work. You can buy an adapter that does that for you and it doesn't look home made but its very cumbersome to plug the adapter in and then the ear buds. Thanks for all the input guys!

Where can you buy this adapter? I wouldn't mind trying it, if it will work.

It seems like they made a few improvements to ICS in that at least you can answer calls and talk. Before, any earphones made for the Iphone wouldn't even do that.

eikphoto

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Where can you buy this adapter? I wouldn't mind trying it, if it will work.

It seems like they made a few improvements to ICS in that at least you can answer calls and talk. Before, any earphones made for the Iphone wouldn't even do that.

I'll report back when I find the link

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trexgameaz