Easy Root for Bionic Stock 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)

marty45714

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I added an additional, more reliable download link to the original post, just in case anyone was having trouble getting the file downloaded.

marty45714

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Found a bug... Nothing that would affect the overall functionality, but it could cause some users to think that their phone is successfully connected via USB debugging, when it really isn't. Adding the new links to the original post now...

marty45714

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Here are some tips for anyone who is having trouble getting a valid IP address. The first thing you should check is the network configuration within VirtualBox. If your computer has more than one network adapter, VirtualBox may be trying to use the wrong one, which would result in the Linux VM being unable to acquire an IP address. Please look at the attached picture. The only thing you should ever change is the drop down box field called "Name:". If you change any other settings, either change them back, or re-import the .ova file again.

Attachments

• vm.png
    vm.png
    56.6 KB · Views: 63

dexterous

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Wonderful! Worked like a charm.

Had to allow Windows to install the virtualbox USB storage driver before it passed the point where it was stopped, "daemon started successfully". Once the driver was installed, it continued through the installation.

Phone started vibrating for no reason right after rooting, so I switched it off and then on again. Works just fine now.

Using Windows XP 64 bit.

bigbronco

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello Dexterous,

I am stopped at "daemon started successfully" also. Were did you get the virtualbox USB storage driver. And were did you install it.

Thanks bb

kschom

May 4, 2013
Visit site
it looks like it's successfully going through the process on my phone, but when i use a root checker, it's telling me i don't have proper access.

kschom

May 4, 2013
Visit site
when you plug in your phone does a prompt come up for virtualbox usb driver? it did for me, so then you just install that.

Chad Phillips1

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I enter the information as noted on the screen, but I keep getting an error that reads "The information you entered is incorrect." Both devices are connected wirelessly to my home router. My phone's IP is 192.168.0.2 and the VirtualBox machine host IP address is 192.168.0.3. When I enter that information and mygroup and share into my phone, I get that error. I looked at the screenshot of information you posted earlier, but could not find any error. Suggestions?

Edit: Stupid mistake. The login screen scrolls down. Filled in the user and pass and worked first shot. Thanks!!!

Last edited:

dwcbionic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok, upfront apology for noobness here. I have had my bionic for nearly 2 years. But I just now rooted via this method. It worked like a charm. (I guess. I have an app that's icon is # and i think that means I had success.) Problem is, having never rooted, I don't know what to do next. I've read all I can read, but I don't know if those posts are irrelevant because they involved rooting the pre-JB version. To give you an example, I installed Rom Manager, but I can't get it to work. Can somebody tell me (1) whether the older posts are still valid, as it were, and (2) where I should go to find out how to really take advantage of this? I'm super excited, but at the same time a bit frustrated by my lack of skill here.

I apologize if there are threads I could have searched for. I did, in fact, do that. On every conceivable forum. Because the Rom Manager didn't work for me, I got to thinking maybe I can't rely on the older posts. All I want, really, is to set up things so I can try different ROMs with the safety of knowing I can get back to my regular stuff if it doesn't work. Well, that's the tip of the iceberg, really. I also want to delete bloat. No clue.

I get that this is a pathetic post, but I will wager that there are a lot of others who are latecomers to this awesome thing and who also wouldn't mind a set of links.

Thanks in advance :)

itsmilly

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I have no experience with rooting- but I followed your directions and read each screen when the scrolling stopped... and in no more than 10 minutes , it was done---and done well!. I downloaded superuser and it' s all finished. Thank you for making it so clear and easy.

rwgdjcfp

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I am having trouble at the usb connection step of the vm. I am in the debugging mode, I am in the mtp mode, I am able to see the internal and external sd drives in windows explorer.

The vm hangs after this step at: * daemon started successfully * When I try to select my phone under devices->usb devices-.> Motorola XT875 [0216] it brings up a window that reads as follows:
Failed to attach the USB device Motorola XT875 [0216] to the virtual machine Linux Minimal_1.

USB device 'Motorola XT875' with UUID {c24ab4f3-83d6-4088-9616-edac1f0b6432} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Result Code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component: HostUSBDevice
Interface: IHostUSBDevice {173b4b44-d268-4334-a00d-b6521c9a740a}
Callee: IConsole {db7ab4ca-2a3f-4183-9243-c1208da92392}

I have rebooted computer and phone, tried defferent sequences for connect phone to usb cable, etc... please help

Grumple

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I am having trouble at the usb connection step of the vm. I am in the debugging mode, I am in the mtp mode, I am able to see the internal and external sd drives in windows explorer.

The vm hangs after this step at: * daemon started successfully * When I try to select my phone under devices->usb devices-.> Motorola XT875 [0216] it brings up a window that reads as follows:
Failed to attach the USB device Motorola XT875 [0216] to the virtual machine Linux Minimal_1.

USB device 'Motorola XT875' with UUID {c24ab4f3-83d6-4088-9616-edac1f0b6432} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Result Code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component: HostUSBDevice
Interface: IHostUSBDevice {173b4b44-d268-4334-a00d-b6521c9a740a}
Callee: IConsole {db7ab4ca-2a3f-4183-9243-c1208da92392}

I have rebooted computer and phone, tried defferent sequences for connect phone to usb cable, etc... please help

Having the exact same problem, need help!

BruceP

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the latest moto drivers installed? you may have to uninstall moto drivers and reinstall moto drivers or update them and you do have phone set in debug mode and MTP..

rwgdjcfp

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Do you have the latest moto drivers installed? you may have to uninstall moto drivers and reinstall moto drivers or update them and you do have phone set in debug mode and MTP..
Okay,

1) Yes, I did have the latest drivers installed
2) Yes, phone was in the debug mode
3) Yes, usb connection was set to MTP
So, as per your suggestion, I completely uninstalled the Motorola Device Manager (which is where the drivers come from). Deleted all folders associated with the Motorola Device Manager, and used regedit to delete all hints of the Motorola Device Manager. Then went back to the Motorola site, downloaded a fresh up to date copy of the Motorola Device Manager and installed it!--------------> same EXACT results.

So with that in mind, I put everything away for the night last night.

I got up this morning and went to my trusty Dell XPS630i desktop that I installed Windows XP because it came with Vista, and installed VirtualBox-4.2.12-84980-Win.exe and newest Motorola Device Manager and went through the process.-----------> SUCCESS!!!!!!! Just another reason to keep my XP machines running XP!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love Windows 7 but sometimes you just have to go to trusty old ROCK SOLID XP!!!!!

Thank you very much for the exploit and the help!!!

Chuck Pierce
I&C Technician

fwtx

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks marty45714.

The use of VirtualBox was brilliant! So many of the solutions are Windows centric and I use a Mac.

did you get this to work on a mac? i kept getting invalid IP address and I thought maybe it was cause i was using mac, i still cant get it to work. any ideas would be helpful

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals41