Extremely laggy messages app

amytxoxo

May 6, 2013
Visit site
So I just got my S4 last night and used Samsung Smart Switch to transfer my stuff from my iPhone to the S4, including my texts. My messages app is so slow that I can barely text. When I open a conversation sometimes it doesn't even load, and the app keeps crashing. I don't know if it's doing this because of the amount of texts I have or not, but I don't see why it wouldn't be able to handle it considering I had all of those texts on my iPhone. I really like the phone besides this major issue :/ any help is appreciated. The phone also gets really hot while charging and moderately hot sometimes during use.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
So I just got my S4 last night and used Samsung Smart Switch to transfer my stuff from my iPhone to the S4, including my texts. My messages app is so slow that I can barely text. When I open a conversation sometimes it doesn't even load, and the app keeps crashing. I don't know if it's doing this because of the amount of texts I have or not, but I don't see why it wouldn't be able to handle it considering I had all of those texts on my iPhone. I really like the phone besides this major issue :/ any help is appreciated. The phone also gets really hot while charging and moderately hot sometimes during use.

The heating is standard with any mobile device including the iphone, the glass and aluminum just do a really good job of evenly dissipating it. It gets hot on charge because current is being applied to the device, while the mini transformer you plug into the wall does a good job, the usb receiver on the inside of the device still has to finish converting it to be usable by the device.

As for the messaging app, you could always try a third party messenger, like "whats app", or "go messenger". I'm unsure of what type of file the iPhone uses to store texts in, but the Smart Switch program may not correctly convert all of them to the type used by the S4, which may be what is causing the crashing. But a better question would be; why store all of those texts anyway? Android has a feature built into the stock messenger (of which all manufacturer messengers are based), that automatically deletes the oldest stored text messages from the device once the user defined limit is reached (I believe it is set at 150 per contact with stock settings).

Believe it or not, storing lots of text messages, and similarly call logs on your phone, can actually cause the respective apps to start malfunctioning. This is because the old data conflicts with the new data that is being stored in the same app cache, especially if it comes from a non native source, as I mentioned earlier.

So once again my suggestions to you would be to...

1) Try a different messenger and see if it fixes it.

OR

2) Trim down some of your messenges.

amytxoxo

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice :) So I decided I just want to delete all of my old messages, but whenever I try to do that Smart Switch puts them back on my phone. My phone isn't connected to my computer or anything, and whenever I try to force quit the downloading messages from my phone it starts back up again. :/

bdh1213

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I just used Smart Switch to synch my iphone 4 backup to a new Galaxy S4 and am having the EXACT same problem! I thought maybe this was happening because I tried to view a text msg thread while they were still importing the first time I opened the app after synching. Samsung support had me delete my app data and cache. After that didnt work they suggested I delete all my msgs, but they came back. Then they suggested I reset the phone and synch again, but if Im not the only one having the problem clearly that isnt the solution. I'll call them back now and see what they say.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anderson Julien