First Impressions

JoePa2624

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
With these first impressions, do you think its actually work a switch from the S9+ or just stay put, regardless of the cost, for me its not much for me to switch but didn't know if it was even worth it. $45.00
My opinion... Unless you have to have the S pen or the battery life of the S9 doesn't cut it, I'd stay with what you have.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I was looking forward to using the new Bixby. From what I can tell though, they've cut support for some apps like WhatsApp? Does anyone know if this is untrue? Because otherwise, I'm really liking what they've done.
I certainly hope not... I use WhatsApp to communicate with family. I'll have to try it later today.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I've just done my first speed test... 213 Mbps down, 28.8 up (a bit faster than my wife's GS9+). iPhone 8 Plus measured 129 Mbps down, 22.6 up.

bls8195

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
My opinion... Unless you have to have the S pen or the battery life of the S9 doesn't cut it, I'd stay with what you have.

Thanks, I am thinking the same thing, the S pen isnt huge for me, and the battery life would be nice, but I can have a charger at my desk so its a mute point although I can go all day with a decent charge left.

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
Is there anyone else having trouble with Bixby? I setup the voice part of it and all went well. When I try and activate it from any screen, it won't activate. I am new to the note scene, maybe I don't know what I am doing.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
With these first impressions, do you think its actually work a switch from the S9+ or just stay put, regardless of the cost[?] [F]or me it[']s not much for me to switch but didn't know if it was even worth it. $45.00
If you're saying you can somehow upgrade from an S9+ to a Note9 for just $45, I'd certainly do that if I were you. At normal cost, I would not upgrade from an S9+, but I am upgrading from a Note8.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The screen is a slightly different hue than the 8 in side-by-side comparison. Faster overall. Set it up from scratch, rather than from a backup, but used the included cable, dongle to transfer text messages. Overall good impression.

FYI. I found out you can actually change the hue if you dig into the display settings..

13greencoyote

Aug 22, 2018
Visit site
Here are a few first impressions:

1) The ocean blue color is much deeper and more attractive than it appeared in online photos. I like it!
2) It's big, fast, beautiful and very well-made
3) Transferring content from my iPhone 8 Plus went perfectly. All messages and call logs transferred, and it only failed to match about 2-3 apps out of 70-ish I had on my iPhone.
4) I haven't used a Note since the Note 4, and I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed using the S-Pen. I used it to mark up a few photos before sending last night - it's so much better than using a finger!

what did you use to get all of your iPhone apps and information swapped over? I'm swapping from an iPhone 7

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Is there anyone else having trouble with Bixby? I setup the voice part of it and all went well. When I try and activate it from any screen, it won't activate. I am new to the note scene, maybe I don't know what I am doing.
Check the sensitivity setting and make sure data is on. It worked well for me, today first day with Bixby setup. I have Google Voice setup as a backup too and that works well.

AARON BRYANT2

Jun 10, 2018
Visit site
anyone know what the UHQ upscaler is for? in the performance button I chose high performance but UHQ upscaler and HDR was not part of it. maybe I should choose entertainment instead.

bgstewar

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
My initial impressions:

Coming from the S7 Edge, this phone is 10,000 times faster. I literally cannot believe how fast it is loading a webpage and switching between apps.

The battery life so far is amazing. I've been using it all morning and it's down to 95%. My S7 Edge would be at 60% right now.

It's a big phone but feels good in your hand. One handed usage is difficult but manageable.

The facial recognition/iris scanner is blazing fast and much better than the previous fingerprint on the S7 that literally never recognized my fingerprint.

The screen is big and bright, but for some reason I feel like the colors were more vibrant on the S7 Edge. I'm not sure if there's a setting I need to tweak, but the colors don't "pop" as much on the Note 9.

Bixby is more useful than I imagined it would be. Still getting to know it, but I like it more the OK Google that never worked for me.

All in all, a massive upgrade for me. Loving it so far!

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
My initial impressions:

Coming from the S7 Edge, this phone is 10,000 times faster. I literally cannot believe how fast it is loading a webpage and switching between apps.

The battery life so far is amazing. I've been using it all morning and it's down to 95%. My S7 Edge would be at 60% right now.

It's a big phone but feels good in your hand. One handed usage is difficult but manageable.

The facial recognition/iris scanner is blazing fast and much better than the previous fingerprint on the S7 that literally never recognized my fingerprint.

The screen is big and bright, but for some reason I feel like the colors were more vibrant on the S7 Edge. I'm not sure if there's a setting I need to tweak, but the colors don't "pop" as much on the Note 9.

Bixby is more useful than I imagined it would be. Still getting to know it, but I like it more the OK Google that never worked for me.

Google assistant is funny, I told it that Bixby loves assistant lol

Moonliterider

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
With these first impressions, do you think its actually work a switch from the S9+ or just stay put, regardless of the cost, for me its not much for me to switch but didn't know if it was even worth it. $45.00

I went from the S9+ to the Note 9,and am really happy that I did. The S-pen is fantastic, and I know I'll use it a lot.The stereo speakers are really good now, the flatter screen surface is good for writing on, and it actually feels more premium to me. So glad to be back in a Note! Oh, and the battery life is fantastic so far. I got my phone yesterday, and I've been working on it, setting it up. My battery usage only dropped 3% over night(didn't charge it all night).

bls8195

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Yeah see thats where I am torn I just don't think I will use the stylus that much, however I could be wrong. But the littler bigger screen is nice and the battery is always a plus.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
My initial impressions:

I've never understood why you have to say "OK Google" to wake that up - like who the hell be talking like that anyway? I never start a conversation off with "OK ____" I know, I know, its to prevent unnecessary wake ups but none of the other companies do that and its just unnatural.

Okay rant over lol

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I see a lot of people struggling with the size of the Note phones, there is an option to shrink the screen in settings to 'one handed mode' to make it easier for this, check it out, it may be useful to you.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I never start a conversation off with "OK ____" I know, I know, it[']s to prevent unnecessary wake ups but none of the other companies do that and it[']s just unnatural.
The word Google is probably spoken much more often than the names of other AI assistants are spoken (when not addressing them), so a prefix is more necessary for Google. At least with Google Home, you can say Hey instead of OK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ijulnesia