for those with batt issues after upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny hotsauce

May 19, 2010
Visit site
me, my wife, and my dad dont have issues with gps after airplane mode

That's actually refreshing to hear. I know I did on my first Epic, if I toggled airplane mode on and off I couldn't lock on GPS after but if I did a PRL update I was able to get the same result as airplane mode but keep GPS after.

I haven't had to try this on the replacement Epic since my time without signal always stays low or at 0%. I'm so glad the replacement works the way it should, I really liked the phone and I'm happy I was able to stick with it :)

Bowa11

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Quick synopsis, upgraded, battery was being killed so fast I had to charge 2-3x a day. Took phone to Store at Sprint HQ. (That's the closest to my house and the one I always use). Rep had never heard of the issue, called engineering, they had never heard of the issue either. Asked that I bring it back Saturday so someone in engineering could look it over and see if they could figure it out. Not that I am special but that they hadn't heard of any update issues, only what it was supposed to do.

Took it in, they played with it for close to 3 hours. Found that a background running app listed as DRM was the issue. It won't allow the device to sleep. It's function is to check for theft from media hub. It runs constantly, updating every 11.5 seconds. Simple solution is to go into your running services and shut it down. If you use media hub, kill DRM after you log off. I also learned that if you kill Gtalk, it uses more battery. It is attached to gmail/android and if shut down, the phone does a constant scan until your gmail acct is verified and turns back on. It's best to leave it running, as it sits idle.

What it has done for me. Full charge at 9PM, it is now almost 2AM and I am at 88% battery. So essentially 12% loss in 5 hours, compared to about 60% loss in 5 hours immediately after the update. Also learned 2.2 is set to come out for this phone 3rd week of October. So, try killing DRM if you are having the battery drain. Working great for me.

I was having the same battery problems as everyone else but the time without signal would always be less than 5%.... Now I have done everything you recommended and my battery life is better than ever.. down 10% after 5+ hours but for some reason I am already up to 13% for time without signal.. any idea why that is increasing all of a sudden?

eriksseven

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Great thread guys. We all need to add our input to hopefully come up with real solutions and work-arounds for these issues with our EPIC's...

My time without signal is always about 60% (location home/business). I've got an 8.10 phone and since running ATK, Juice Defender, toggling airplane mode etc. the longest I've seen is 12 hours since the update (yesterday).

The last week I've averaged between 8-10 hours on a full charge and moderate use.

SomeAudioGuy

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
OK.
So disabling the DRM service, and doing a PRL update, Phone is at 75% after 4.5 hours of light to moderate usage in a HORRIBLE area for Sprint service. Last week, by now, I would've been closer to 40% or less. I think we may have a temporary solution.

Cell Standby 35%
Display 26%
Phone Idle 24%
Android System 8%
Android OS 2%
Maps 2%
Dialer 2%

Bowa11

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
OK.
So disabling the DRM service, and doing a PRL update, Phone is at 75% after 4.5 hours of light to moderate usage in a HORRIBLE area for Sprint service. Last week, by now, I would've been closer to 40% or less. I think we may have a temporary solution.

Cell Standby 35%
Display 26%
Phone Idle 24%
Android System 8%
Android OS 2%
Maps 2%
Dialer 2%

agreed...

its been 10 1/2 hrs for me and im at 71% remaining.... huge improvement over yesterday alone when I learned of this halfway through the day.

Display 35%
Cell Standby 32%
Phone Idle 21%
Voice Calls 4%
Android System 3%
Sprint Nav 2%
Browser 2%

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone figured out how to get the phone off of wcdma? if you go into the phones settings in *#4636*1111# my phone is always in wcdma! does anyone know how to get it to stay in cdma only or cdma preferred.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Mine is rooted, kept putting off update due to issues I had read, but it went through automatically on Saturday night.

yesterday my battery was dying but I was in pour service area, today its down 50% so I just killed drm.

Mine is rooted, or I should say was. Tethering is not working, so I don't know if
update broke it, the root, but that will give me some additional reading to do.

Great thread and help, and all of this after my battery was getting better and better through tweaks.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I have downloaded Spare Parts to try to see what is running after deleting drm above (which was on). My battery is still getting chomped by something.

It shows Battery History = running 100%, screen on 11.1% and Wifi Running 100%. In 4 hours I have used 24% of my battery, this is middle of night, didn't touch, just phone on.

I do not have Wifi on, have checked every toggle switch I know, nothing on top bar to show on. Its just running.

When I go to Settings/App/Running, it shows Sprint Mobile Hotspot active and on. I do not use this, have never used this.

Is this possibly connected to Wifi on for some reason? Does anyone have any good ideas?

I am rooted, stock, tetherless wifi broken with update, and everything changed since update with no changes by me other than adding these programs to try to see where the juice is going.

Still within 30 days, but if I trade, don't know if it will do the same thing with another stupid update. . .

ericdives

Sep 18, 2010
ericdives.com
What is everyone doing/using to kill off Media Hub/DRM? I can find it all with ATK on the lowest security setting, but it always seems to restart (well, at least one or two of the like four "drm" services). Autorun Killer didn't seem to do much either.

Step by step instructions would be appreciated. Also specify rooted/not rooted.

Currently retraining the battery again to see if that helps as well (phone off charging).

johnny hotsauce

May 19, 2010
Visit site
What is everyone doing/using to kill off Media Hub/DRM? I can find it all with ATK on the lowest security setting, but it always seems to restart (well, at least one or two of the like four "drm" services). Autorun Killer didn't seem to do much either.

Step by step instructions would be appreciated. Also specify rooted/not rooted.

Currently retraining the battery again to see if that helps as well (phone off charging).

Settings --> Applications --> Running Services --> click on media hub and drm and force stop both of them.

bevorules

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Awesome fix! Yesterday I got 14 hours of mostly moderate usage -- and heavy usage with GPS and gaming during the final hour. I was NOT using Juice Defender or Auto Task Killer. I found that ATK was more of a drain than a help anyway.

I used Autorun Killer to disable the DRM services and the Media Hub Download Manager at startup. After rebooting the phone, I found that the services were no longer running. I also toggled airplane mode after the reboot.

I'm planning to go on a trip in a couple of weeks, and before this fix I was worried that my battery wouldn't make it through a whole day away from the charger. With the use of Juice Defender, there should be no problems, provided that I keep the Angry Birds in check. :)

flynlow

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
It has been working great for me. Especially coupled with the airplane mode toggle on/off. I am seeing 10-12% loss in 6-8 hours, instead of 1 hour.

I am going back tonight as they (Sprint) asked that I do, to tell them how it is working. I am going to tell them about the radio toggle, that wasn't mentioned to me by them. It is a temporary fix and Samsung, or whoever, needs to address it. We shouldn't have to outsmart our smart phones to get them to work at an acceptable level.

sputnik004

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Here's a question.

The DRM service (OmaDrmConfigService) also runs on the Vibrant but the Vibrant does not have Media Hub activated yet. When I first looked at the running servicesa and saw this DRM service, I assumed it was related to the movie Avatar and was in fact the DRM to protect that.

Now knowing that OmaDrmConfigService is actually part of Media Hub, and the fact that Media Hub isn't yet enabled on the Vibrant (or the Captivate/Fascinate), will killing the DRM service improve battery on the other Galaxy S phones as well?

To test it out, I recently killed the service on my Vibrant and will test throughout the day to see if battery life is any better.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the impact of this service on the other Galaxy phones?

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Killing DRM, Media Hub and toggling Airplane mode have made DRAMATIC improvements to my battery life.

Nice work team!

Status
Not open for further replies.