Google wallet problem

jsz3us

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I pulled the apk off of my nexus7, put it on my gnex and installed it. No issues what so ever. Went to the local sheetz and purchased a slurpee without error.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I pulled the apk off of my nexus7, put it on my gnex and installed it. No issues what so ever. Went to the local sheetz and purchased a slurpee without error.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

yup did the same thing with my nexus 7. I still have to spend my free $10 bucks off my N7 before google starts to deactivate the prepaid cards :/

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the help everyone. I was dismayed the other day when I got jerked around yet again for being a Verizon customer. Luckily we have a great community here on AC and in the Android world in general. C'MON NOVEMBER when I can switch carriers.

matt91

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the help. i don't use Wallet much, but liked having it. Opened it today to realize that it was "broke."

disabled via web - didn't seem to help since I couldn't get wallet to load at all.
Deleted ("cleared") data the uninstalled.
Downloaded apk from links aboves (16 or 17), loaded fine.
Had to reset my cards, but no biggie.

Seems fine now. thanks all.

M.

Cyrilmak

Androidoholic
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Thank You everyone, I'm back up and running. It's sad that Verizon has to be like this. Sprint is looking better and better, even with just 3G in my area.

joeb3786

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
this thread helped me get wallet working for the first time ever on my gnex, and I don't want to lose it! I'm about to flash AOKP because I'm a closet flash-addict, and was hoping for a bit of clarification on how best to do this. Best guess based on what I have seen here - remove device via browser, clear data from within the wallet app itself, clear whatever I can from within "app info" section of settings, and then and only then uninstall?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
this thread helped me get wallet working for the first time ever on my gnex, and I don't want to lose it! I'm about to flash AOKP because I'm a closet flash-addict, and was hoping for a bit of clarification on how best to do this. Best guess based on what I have seen here - remove device via browser, clear data from within the wallet app itself, clear whatever I can from within "app info" section of settings, and then and only then uninstall?

If ur app is updated go in to the gw app. Settings. Then deactivate account. Then uninstall the app. Flash ur from then re side load the app like before. The only reason we have to deactivate when side loading an update or Flashing a from or doing a reset is that it could potentially corrupt your nfc Secure element making ur nfc chip no longer work. Like what happened to 2def. Better to be safe then sorry if possible.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
So, I went to use gWallet this morning and this bullsh*t popped up. Anyone else? Yes, this is the newest apk (to my knowledge) that I posted here the other day. I'm going to dig around a bit but please let me know if others that have this August 1st apk are now unable to use it.

Seems I can't upload images anymore, definitely not my day, but it's the "update wallet" popop that takes to to the play store where it's then unavailable.

EDIT: I'm back in business. I downloaded another apk but I verified it was the same as the one I posted earlier. For whatever reason, this one worked when the other one wouldn't. One thing to note is I now realize I had NFC disabled in my notification bar widgets when I opened gWallet this morning and got the "update" pop up. So perhaps that did something? Although it kept saying it after I turned it on, cleared data via the web and in the app, and re-installed the apk I had saved from the other day. Apk I just used from my dropbox

http://db.tt/KEmtAeQp

Last edited:

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I've never updated via the Market, but I saw it was available at one point and now it says "device unavailble." Seems like it was short lived after VZW losing that lawsuit. Anyway, here's the apk. Just make sure you delete data in your currect version to protect the secure element. I delete the data in settings<apps, and then uninstall it just to be safe. I like the new interface, directly linking credit/debit, and that it's working fine.

Link courtesy of XDA...https://www.dropbox.com/s/byy6zu46tdetg44/Wallet 1.5-R79-v5.apk

Didn't see above post: MD5ee2b9cac5018d99caccaf829d9f6bf8c for those that like to check.

Used this link from my phone (after clearing data and uninstalling Wallet) and installed after the download. Worked perfect, thank you.

rustycaterpillar

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I got it working by side loading the apk in the link above. Thanks all

The question I am still struggling with is WHY. Why does Verizon give a crap about us using this app? It isnt like they have a competing product...Any and all theories are much appreciated

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I got it working by side loading the apk in the link above. Thanks all

The question I am still struggling with is WHY. Why does Verizon give a crap about us using this app? It isnt like they have a competing product...Any and all theories are much appreciated

Because they have a competing product coming "soon" in their partnership with Isis for mobile payments. Not saying it's a good, fair, or even legal reason, but that's the reason.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
yup did the same thing with my nexus 7. I still have to spend my free $10 bucks off my N7 before google starts to deactivate the prepaid cards :/

You got into Oct.17th before the Google prepaid card stops working.I still have about $19.75 to use before that date.
I don't think you can add any more funds to the Google prepaid as of Sept 17th.
I have my prepaid debit card already setup and tested though the Google wallet app, so I can just use that after Oct.17th.
They are just discontinuing the Google prepaid card since they now allow various other cards now. :)

Edit: If for some reason you didnt use all your funds up on the Google prepaid card by Oct.17th you could contact Google and get the remaining amount refunded as well.

sent from my Nexus

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Where do you get a prepaid debit card and is there a fee involved?

I'm sure all major credit card companies sell prepaid debit cards, but I'm positive Visa and Mastercard do. You can get them online or they sell them at any place that sell gift cards. Think super markets, Walgreens, etc. etc. That said, why wouldn't you want to link gWallet to your permanent debit card (or credit card for that matter)? You have a much better chance of not having to pay for an unauthorized fee that way. For example, not too long ago I signed up for a trial membership that gave you a free box of VR1 golf balls. It said as long as you canceled before 30 days you wouldn't be charged the membership fee, and the balls were complimentary. I canceled it the day I received the golf balls, about 15 days later, and sure enough I see a $60 charge on my debit card a few weeks later. I had my cancellation number as proof, but my bank didn't even care to see it they just credited back my account.

Oh and there's no fee on prepaid debit cards (gift cards), per say, but read the back as they usually have a "maintenance fee" if you don't use the balance in a year etc.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The reason I don't want to use my debit card or credit card....I NEVER use a debit card drawn on my bank account, not for anything. As to my credit card. I am only using Google Wallet to buy pops at convienience stores and I don't want charges on my credit card for such a small amount and so many of them. All of the Visa/Mastercards that I have found charge a minimum of $3.95 to activate it. I am better off paying cash.

I have another question. If I use a Visa/Mastercard debit card....will I see the remaining balance in Google Wallet like I did with their prepaid card?

Last edited:

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Not sure I understand your issues with debit cards, but ok man:) I have two checking accounts setup for debit only. One from my bank and one from a bank that doesn't charge for using other banks ATMs. I don't see how that's much different than getting a $50 prepaid or whatever. Granted the amounts are more than $50 but I just throw some money in there from my savings every once in a while. To me, debit is cash. I feel a lot safer in the city and in general with plastic in my wallet than a bunch of cash. I never use credit unless I have something to gain from it. No balances.

As for your question, I'm sure it would be able to show/pull that information on a prepaid card just as a gas pump knows the card only has $17.35 remaining on it. I just did a quick search and according to this and ask.com American Express is the card to get to avoid fees. I've both gifted and received Visa prepaid cards in the past and never paid a fee. Perhaps it's just bank by bank. I'd check the pre-paids at your local supermarket etc.

Prepaid Credit Card Review 2012 | Secured Credit Cards | Prepaid Cards - TopTenREVIEWS

rustycaterpillar

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Because they have a competing product coming "soon" in their partnership with Isis for mobile payments. Not saying it's a good, fair, or even legal reason, but that's the reason.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for that. I hadn't heard that. I am starting to think Verizon is the most evil of all carriers, and I may need to switch out...

joeb3786

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
is the current apk circulating right now less sensitive to the uninstalling and data clearing that I have read so much about? despite all of the reading I just mentioned, I have now twice feared the worst with this app... I did a nandroid with it installed and later had uninstalled it, but after restoring it still worked! and later I did a full wipe going from BB to AOKP and forgot to clear/uninstall yet was still able to get it up and running on my fresh rom. am I just very lucky, or have those prior issues been cleared up?