Gorilla Glass 2 already scratched. Very disappointed.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
No need to be a short with me haha. I know perfectly well the difference between resistant and proof. I just don't understand how it got a scratch, when this glass is "resistant" to a multitude of items which have never been within a foot of my screen, let alone something which I think may scratch it like sand or rocks or something. This is ridiciculous. Anyway, thank you for the reply and the suggestions. I feel your pain with the car haha I have had the same thing happen.

Do you think Verizon will really replace it? I suppose it's worth a try. I really want this screen perfect so I can enjoy the 1080p with no blemishes! This screen is amazing!

A speck of dust or dirt on your finger or stuck in your pants pocket could put a nice scratch in the glass because its harder than the glass. Thats why they make screen protectors. So bashing the best screen glass out there because you didnt take precaution to protect your expensive investment is ridiculous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling it may be more aggressive coating used on the glass rather than the hardness of the glass itself.

This a thousand times.

Almost all of the scratches people are seeing are in the coatings, not the glass.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

wolfdna

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a Bionic with GG1 and never needed a screen protector. The phone has taken a lot of abuse, but the glass has no scratches. The DNA was getting scratches from just everyday use, so I gave in and applied a screen protector. GG2 is definitely nowhere near as scratch resistant as GG1 was.

hirshey21

May 8, 2013
Visit site
My 16 month old son scratched my DNA in 20 seconds. Not sure how he pulled it off. I had installed a zagg HD.
Is much better than the previous zaggs I have hated. Masks the strach a bit too.
:)

Deep scratch to btw.

Posted via Android Central App

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Chiming in here again.

Wow. I did not notice how serious this change was. My OG Droid from 2009 that has Gorilla Glass 1 STILL does not have a SINGLE scratch on it, whereas my DNA has multiple scratches already.

Mountaineer81

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Captivate w/ GG1 3 years naked no scratches (maybe a couple surface (coating?) swirls which could only be seen with the screen off in direct light. N4 w/ GG2 5 months, a couple scratches that can easily be seen and felt with finger nail, absolutely no changes in behavior, treatment, moving to the beach, etc. Looks like GG2 took a step backward IMHO. Screen protector is going on and I'll live with the scratches for now.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Supposedly its not the glass on GG2 that is scratching but the oil coating... which is pointless because it looks and feels like a scratch so whats the difference whether the glass or the oil scratched?

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
People always love to 'run naked because I have Gorilla Glass' and claim that their phone has been naked for 'a year' and have 'no scratches'. Don't believe the hype. Day one case and screen protector. Always.

Hmm i don't believe its bullet proof in any way but other than a slim case my phone is naked on the front. Zero scratches of any note, and I'm fickle as hell.

Posted via Android Central App

Lipi 79

May 18, 2015
Visit site
My girlfriends LG accidentally scratched on a painted wood surface. Usually she was keeping the phone in a soft bag to protect it but when the alarm rang in the morning she put it on the window sill facing down.
There was no screen protector on it because we believed the marketing bulls_t about Gorilla Glass and how extremely scratch resistant it is.
Seriously they should sell these phones with a qood quality tempered glass screen protector instead of letting us believe that it is unscratchable if we pay attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia