Gorilla Glass 2 already scratched. Very disappointed.

mgullick

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Sweatpants -- Not only are they tacky as heck, they tend to pick up and hold little bits of stuff in the pockets. The very fact that the pocket is "fluffy" inside causes them to hold onto tiny grains of sand, etc.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Nothing is "scratch proof"....some things are more scratch resistant than others. A screen protector will make all the difference if you're at all concerned about scratching your phone's screen.
It's either that or take your chances.

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't care about a few scratches, but one of the DNAs I had was scratched so deeply that it diffracted the light from the screen and produced distortion. Hence, I'm rocking a photodon protector and have been happy enough with it.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I've had a screen protector on it since about a week after getting the phone. Yesterday my son took my phone from me and slid it across the floor, lifting up the edge of the protector and basically rendering it useless. So until I have the money to buy some new ones, I have to go without. It is putting me on edge, lol. Leaving my phone in the car this weekend when we go to the beach!

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

garl6

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
it kind of irks me that people just expect no scratches whatsoever because it's gorilla glass.. i mean, if you really wanted a completely scratch proof material, go make a diamond screen.

but that's just minor. my huge annoyance is people believing that a hard screen, a scratch resistant screen, won't ever shatter. it's glass. glass shatters. usually the harder a material is, the less energy required for it to fail (shatter, break, fracture). doesn't make sense to me that people think it's invincible.

/rant

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had my DNA in my pocket with both keys and change and don't have any scratches on the display, so far anyway.

Sent from my HTC DROID DNA using the Android Central App

Vedran Grahek

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Hey to all non Corning workers.

It seems to me that "some people" are attempting to missdirect the topic from the fact that Gorilla Glass 2 is waaaay worse than GG1 to a discussion about is it advertised as "unscratchable".

My friends and me with Galaxy's S and S2 can (and did) kick the phones screen side down over concrete, keys and send for over a year, and screens are still mint. But now on my Nexus 4 and there S3, we all got a ton of scratches after only holding it in pants pocket for 2 weaks.

Avoid GG2!

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

It seems to me that "some people" are attempting to missdirect the topic from the fact that Gorilla Glass 2 is waaaay worse than GG1 to a discussion about is it advertised as "unscratchable".

My friends and me with Galaxy's S and S2 can (and did) kick the phones screen side down over concrete, keys and send for over a year, and screens are still mint. But now on my Nexus 4 and there S3, we all got a ton of scratches after only holding it in pants pocket for 2 weaks.

Avoid GG2!

I highly doubt you did that to your phone. And if you did, I highly doubt it was scratch free. Videos and pictures or I refuse to believe it. If you can't bother to put a screen protector on, dont complain when the glass scratches. Its GLASS, not diamond. It can and will be scratched by things harder than it on the moh scale.

Vedran Grahek

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Lol, once again, not the point of how hard it is compareing to diamonds, but compareing it to GG1. Guess you didnt have 1 be4.
Donno what is up with those testing videos, since some show that Nexus 4 has the back cover of same hardness as front (since someone sead that it is also gg2), and showing that thay can withstand the same beating as front, but LG denied it and sead that it is normal glass (and all buyers of N4 know how easy that side is to scratch).

And yes, those phones did take all that. I can send you the pics. Some falls and kicks were so hard that even the color peeled off the plastic.
I never used protecion covers on him since i knew I'll change him after a year or so. And my N4 is like your Droid ready to be changed after a month.

Funny how there are no non Corning hardness test outhere...

I only wish we knew that when we switched from gg1 phones.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Lol, once again, not the point of how hard it is compareing to diamonds, but compareing it to GG1. Guess you didnt have 1 be4.
Donno what is up with those testing videos, since some show that Nexus 4 has the back cover of same hardness as front (since someone sead that it is also gg2), and showing that thay can withstand the same beating as front, but LG denied it and sead that it is normal glass (and all buyers of N4 know how easy that side is to scratch).

And yes, those phones did take all that. I can send you the pics. Some falls and kicks were so hard that even the color peeled off the plastic.
I never used protecion covers on him since i knew I'll change him after a year or so. And my N4 is like your Droid ready to be changed after a month.

Funny how there are no non Corning hardness test outhere...

I only wish we knew that when we switched from gg1 phones.

The harder a substance is the more brittle it is. That is common science. Feel free to post test videos and pictures of your phone that you supposedly kicked around. There are test videos for hardness of corning gorilla glass 2, a simple you tube search will bring you to one held at a convention where they used elevated platforms and weighted balls to test impact resistance. And as for my droid, I will be using it for two years, atleast. My mother had an s2, and by one month of ownership the screen was so badly marred she had it replaced and started using screen protectors. So I'm sorry if I don't believe that your phone was used as a personal soccer ball and withstood the abuse.

garl6

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site

Avoid GG2!

hmm, only two posts, both in this topic... someone claiming to have literally kick their phone on concrete... i smell a hint of troll. kicking your phone generally isn't the smartest thing to do.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
hmm, only two posts, both in this topic... someone claiming to have literally kick their phone on concrete... i smell a hint of troll. kicking your phone generally isn't the smartest thing to do.

I always base my phone purchases on the kicked on concrete test. I'm also fond of the underhand slow pitch and resistance to an aluminum bat test.

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site

Avoid GG2!

How's Gorilla Glass 3 in comparison?

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
What are the odds! I picked up a new HTC One last week and have not even put it in my pocket as my case has not arrived yet. Today it spent about 2 hours in my........get this **sweatpants** cargo pocket and I just wiped it down with a microfiber cloth and noticed a nice 1/8th deep scratch on the edge of the screen............un-freaking real!

Seriously... is this for real? An 1/8th" deep scratch? Do you know how deep that actually is (.125)? I think that may actually be deeper than the glass is thick. In other words you wouldn't need to wipe it down with a cloth to notice a gash in the screen of that size. You would be able to see/feel it very easily. Maybe next time you wear your sweatpants take out the 1 carat diamonds and assorted rocks you also store in there.

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I do have to say that Gorilla Glass appeared to have become a bit of a joke. The old Droid 2 Global I have laying around has almost quite literally been abused and not a single scratch on it. Probably the only device I've ever had where I never worried at all about the screen's durability. I'm not buying the thinner, but still same scratch resistance idea Corning is trying to make us believe.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred