HTC One M9: My bitter disappoinment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruff35

Banned
Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Went to a Best Buy yesterday and they had both the Gunmetal and Silver/Gold versions of the M9. Played around with each for a bit and was generally impressed with the build quality. I currently own an M8, and while there are some minor differences, it was pretty much the same phone to me. Though I will say it was easier to hold since it wasn't as slick as the M8 and the side power button is a welcomed change (even though I've gotten used to double tapping the screen to turn on my phone).

Sense 7 looks just like Sense 6, albeit more customizable options. I do like the option to add a 4th navigation button, and would definitely add the Notification menu button since it's always a stretch for me to reach the top of my phone and pull down with one hand. There's also the option to add a button to hide the navigation buttons, which gives you more more screen real estate.

I did play a music video on YouTube and put the volume to max. Did the same thing with my M8, and in my opinion the M8 was definitely louder and had a richer, fuller sound. I mostly use headphone so it's not a big deal, but there have been times when I've watched videos in the car with friends, and the loudness/rich sound (and not even on the max volume) on my M8 always impresses, and everyone can hear with ease. So a little concerned there with the M9, especially since they "upgraded" to Dolby sound.

I took a few pics, but it was a little hard to judge the quality since the phone was tethered to the counter, so couldn't really take a variety of pics, so it was hard to judge. Based on reviews I've read, though, I'm a little concerned with low light situations.

With all that said, I've been an HTC owner since the Evo 4G on Sprint. Following a year of ownership of that phone, I got an early upgrade to the Evo 3D. Kept that phone for 2 years and then went to the One M7. Paid full price last year for the M8 since I wasn't on an upgrade year, the primary reason being that the M7 wasn't a triband LTE phone on Sprint, and the M8 was. Been very impressed with the M8 thus far. I've been averaging about 18-20 hours of battery life, and for me the camera has done great, especially in low light situations.

I was anticipating upgrading to the M9, but after the reveal and the reviews, I'm concerned with two things: battery life and camera (especially in low light situations). Also, knowing that my M8 will get Sense 7, it's getting harder and harder to justify; and I'm a tech lover and always love the newest and greatest. I'll definitely be reading how real users like the phone and may choose to purchase at a later time, but for now, I'll be on the sidelines and also wait to see LG's G4.

I will say that if you are on Sprint and have an M7 or own a single band LTE phone, the M9 is a great upgrade for the triband LTE experience (unless of course you are also concerned about the camera in low light situations, then join me on the sidelines or consider the M8, which will likely drop in price :)).

I agree. If you already have an M8, then the M9 is a waste of money. No increase in battery life. Won't notice a difference in speed. The camera on the M8 is better than the M9. But if you want a george foreman grill, buy the M9. Cook your eggs in a few seconds...lol

Gruff35

Banned
Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
LOL...dude you are just making stuff up. Go over to the S6 forum, Andrew Martonik from this site has been doing a hands on with the S6 and S6 edge. He said they both definitely stutter and are not even as smooth and fluid as the M8. He hasn't tested the final version of the M9 yet. He also said the S6 edge is very hard to hold because of the thin edges, he does not recommend it at all. He only recommends the regular S6. And you are fantasizing about the battery life. All the reviews I have read say the S6 will not get through an entire day without a charge. About 12-14 hours of normal use. That is pathetic for a smartphone today. My 2012 Razr Maxx HD will still go a day and a half at least.

Nobody gives a crap about the battery. Don't know why you keep bringing this up. People who buy iphones accept the battery life and so will people who love Samsung phones. However, HTC used a bigger battery and did not increase battery life. Now that's sad on like 8 different levels if you ask me. At least Samsung decreased the size of their battery but they put in wireless charging and have quick charge to offset it. I would assume their phone charges rather quickly which should happen with just the right battery. If you have a huge battery even on a quick charger takes awhile to recharge the phone to max. I don't know about anyone else but I would buy a wireless charging stand/table in a heartbeat. Samsung is innovating and HTC is far behind from what I see. Samsung won't sell as many phones as Apple but their fans will accept the changes just like ifans.

Adam_ation

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Nobody gives a crap about the battery.

And then you go on a rant about battery life hahaha, good one.

I agree. If you already have an M8, then the M9 is a waste of money. No increase in battery life. Won't notice a difference in speed. The camera on the M8 is better than the M9. But if you want a george foreman grill, buy the M9. Cook your eggs in a few seconds...lol

All lies, obviously haven't used a M9 yet.

Clutching at straws with the overheating gags still arnt you?

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Nobody gives a crap about the battery. Don't know why you keep bringing this up. People who buy iphones accept the battery life and so will people who love Samsung phones. However, HTC used a bigger battery and did not increase battery life. Now that's sad on like 8 different levels if you ask me. At least Samsung decreased the size of their battery but they put in wireless charging and have quick charge to offset it. I would assume their phone charges rather quickly which should happen with just the right battery. If you have a huge battery even on a quick charger takes awhile to recharge the phone to max. I don't know about anyone else but I would buy a wireless charging stand/table in a heartbeat. Samsung is innovating and HTC is far behind from what I see. Samsung won't sell as many phones as Apple but their fans will accept the changes just like ifans.
I give a crap about the battery. I don't give a crap what anybody else gives a crap about. :)

If a phone can't easily get me through a normal day on a charge it is an epic fail. This is 2015...I can get 2 days out of my 2012 Razr Maxx HD. 2 1/2 years later I don't expect to be getting worse battery life. I'm not saying HTC is any better. The M9 is disappointing in many ways. I just don't get why Samsung would handicap an otherwise outstanding phone with a crappy battery. If that is the case it makes no sense.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So this thread is turning into the war of the fanboys...

*insert sarcastic yay here*

Posted via Android Central App on a HTC One M7 running Sense 7.0

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Only techies saw those renders so your theory is a moot point. HTC probably leaked those photos of the renders to see how customers would react to their Apple type of advertising. "Why change an already perfect phone?" That crap didn't work and people are holding onto their M8s.

Let me tell you something about non-techies. They will see the 20MP camera on the M9 and think it is better than the iPhone or Samsung just because it has more pixels. HTC is banking on non-technie ignorance with this spec. You and I both know better.

I can guarantee you HTC didn't leak a phone that looks nothing like what they were set to unveil a month before the reveal? For what purpose? To **** people off with a phone that looks like the last one?

Last edited:

Gruff35

Banned
Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I give a crap about the battery. I don't give a crap what anybody else gives a crap about. :)

If a phone can't easily get me through a normal day on a charge it is an epic fail. This is 2015...I can get 2 days out of my 2012 Razr Maxx HD. 2 1/2 years later I don't expect to be getting worse battery life. I'm not saying HTC is any better. The M9 is disappointing in many ways. I just don't get why Samsung would handicap an otherwise outstanding phone with a crappy battery. If that is the case it makes no sense.

Samsung realized what HTC did. Bigger batteries don't always equate to more juice. I've seen posts on this forum where people were ranting about a bigger battery in the M9. Although, HTC said you won't see a battery increase with a larger battery. HTC fanboys wouldn't listen.

Having a battery last two days is moot when everyone plugs there phone in at night or at work. Not to mention phone chargers in cars.

Gruff35

Banned
Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Exciting times!, I got to hold the M9 today and I think even people like me coming from the M8 will be extremely happy with the design changes. I cannot wait for Tuesday! - Adam

People are going to ask you is that an M8? Nobody is going to notice anything on the M9. Because people use cases and you can't tell the difference in the phones if you laid them face down or right side up, aside from the square camera. HTC can't fool me.

trojanman

May 15, 2010
Visit site
There are two dolby sound settings. Which one did you have it in when you tested it? The M8 just has one setting. I am wondering if one is louder than the other on the M9. I think they are called Music and Theatre modes.

I tried both settings (theatre and music) and both seemed a little quieter than the M8. Music mode did sound a little more fuller and richer, but I still preferred the overall sound from my M8. It's still great sounding, but to me there was a noticeable difference with the two phones side-by-side.

Gruff35

Banned
Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I tried both settings (theatre and music) and both seemed a little quieter than the M8. Music mode did sound a little more fuller and richer, but I still preferred the overall sound from my M8. It's still great sounding, but to me there was a noticeable difference with the two phones side-by-side.

So HTC took steps back in regard to sound quality, yet they "left everything the same." Talking about bull....

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
It's funny how there is 2 threads almost identical in topics in the M9 forum and the S6 forum

Both worried about battery life

One worried about camera and the other worried about lag.

The answer is just sit tight and don't let your blood boil

Adam_ation

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
People are going to ask you is that an M8? Nobody is going to notice anything on the M9. Because people use cases and you can't tell the difference in the phones if you laid them face down or right side up, aside from the square camera. HTC can't fool me.
That wouldn't bother me, I aren't buying the phone for other people to try and figure out what it is. They could think its a Nokia 3210 for all I care it won't change the fact I have the best flagship released in 2015 and they dont- Adam

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
It's funny how there is 2 threads almost identical in topics in the M9 forum and the S6 forum

Both worried about battery life

One worried about camera and the other worried about lag.

The answer is just sit tight and don't let your blood boil

HAHA. I know. I'm interested in both phones. I am so paranoid about battery life though. I can't enjoy the great features any phone has if I see the percentage ticking down perilously in front of my face. I tried just removing the percentage from the bar. But then when I do I wonder where it's at...should I be topping it up. Anyway, you're right. Phones will be in peoples hands this week and screenshots will rain down on these threads.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

Yikes, Phone Arena did an audio output for both devices and the M8 max loudness was 75.2 (dB) and the M9 was 72.8 (dB). I didn't think that was much of a difference you could notice but I'm hearing from you and reviewers that it is. Hmmmmmm. So I have an M7 but the M8 may throw it's hat into the ring if I wanna stay with HTC. The battery life is better than the M9. The camera in low light is better and overall may even be better. The Boomsound is louder. I get the same software and performance. Screen is better calibrated and vibrant. And it will be considerably cheaper. What exactly is the M9 hanging it's hat on over the M8? Better grip? Hoping some software updates can work some magic.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Don't get me wrong.

I want to play around with both the M9 and the S6 Edge, but TBH, while I like both devices and I think they're great phones, I think the hype was too high, especially for the One M9.

And I made this based on the responses on this thread.
87cc.jpg

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Samsung realized what HTC did. Bigger batteries don't always equate to more juice. I've seen posts on this forum where people were ranting about a bigger battery in the M9. Although, HTC said you won't see a battery increase with a larger battery. HTC fanboys wouldn't listen.

Having a battery last two days is moot when everyone plugs there phone in at night or at work. Not to mention phone chargers in cars.

I have to agree. The iPhone 6 plus with its 2,915 mAH battery has worse battery life than most Android flagships with 2500-2800 mAH batteries.
Seeing the iPhone 6 (1,800 mAH) and iPhone 6 Plus (2,915 mAH) have barely any difference in battery life shows that there are decreasing increases with more battery capacity.

Optimization should be what manufacturers focus on, and Samsung has the right idea with improving node processes (14nm finfet), improving memory and storage technology (ePoP, UFS 2.0, and LPDDR4) and improving screen technology (AMOLED).

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree. The iPhone 6 plus with its 2,915 mAH battery has worse battery life than most Android flagships with 2500-2800 mAH batteries.
Seeing the iPhone 6 (1,800 mAH) and iPhone 6 Plus (2,915 mAH) have barely any difference in battery life shows that there are decreasing increases with more battery capacity.

Optimization should be what manufacturers focus on, and Samsung has the right idea with improving node processes (14nm finfet), improving memory and storage technology (ePoP, UFS 2.0, and LPDDR4) and improving screen technology (AMOLED).

I agree, but raw battery capacity should also taken into account.

Samsung made great things for battery optimization on the S6, but seems to negate them with a smaller battery, as reviews have noted that battery life is similar or slightly worse than the S5, made worse by the higher resolution 1440p screen.

The One M9 also has average battery life, despite the bigger battery. A bigger battery is pointless if the software is consuming way too much power. Great battery optimization + big battery = Great battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej