I find this odd.

Adrian Aghaie

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm not seeing blackberry phones in lists of smartphones with highest battery life. Just sayin.
Smartphones with the Longest Battery Life - Laptop Mag
Which smartphone has the best battery life? - NY Daily News

The G2 seems to be one of the current champs for battery life. I expect the G3 will be even better.

Show me a somewhat popular tech blog that ever says anything good about Blackberry...It even passes it's good qualities as pointless.
But I get what you're saying. I know for a fact my 9900 under heavy work load will easily last 2 days.
Not bad for a 2 year old battery.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Show me a somewhat popular tech blog that ever says anything good about Blackberry...It even passes it's good qualities as pointless.
...pointless because they are "me too" qualities. Because all the other phones in the same price range (or even cheaper) also have them. "Good enough" is not worthy of praise.

But I get what you're saying. I know for a fact my 9900 under heavy work load will easily last 2 days.
Not bad for a 2 year old battery.
My HTC rezound with extended battery also went days between charges.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Show me a somewhat popular tech blog that ever says anything good about Blackberry...

Most of them are bought and paid for hive-mind fanboys, none have an opinion until they all have an opinion. I use Flowly which consolidates a bunch of them.... Many posts might as well have come from a marketing rep (which most do probably).. It's quite repetitive.

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I was planning to buy a blackberry z30 but stopped due to these:
-pathetic screen, not even gorilla glass. nowadays there are similar priced phones with unbreakable screens like z1 compact . even moto g is gorilla glass 3.
-after 10 wrong password tries, the phone wipes clean, nothing you can do about it. no setting to change it.
-its not open source.
-the screen on their best phone z30 has LESS ppi than even moto g. for over a hundred or so pounds you can get an lg g2 with over 450 ppi.
-it does not support gmail. you cant even sideload it.
-sideloading (android) apps on bb, albeit possible, are technically violation of DRM, legally speaking.
-you dont have google play. defeats the purpose of being able to run android apps.

The only, and i mean the ONLY thing that goes for bb is perhaps the security, which is also taken care of by android blackphone and samsung knox.

Oh by the way the z30 is not even splashproof, let alone being waterproof.

Perhaps one more thing about z30 is the paratek antenna, which might give better signal. though most other phones that are australian 'blue tick' are android, and even iphone falls into that category of blue tick as it apparently switches to using its secondary antenna on low signal.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Kinda snickering at the people who think their Nexus 4 had wireless charging first. It was introduced to the mobile world with the Lumia 920. As was the super sensitive touchscreen and several other features other OSes aimed to follow. Let's not forget that it took the Google end several months to release a wireless charger for their wireless charging phones making the Nexus users have to resort to a Nokia wireless charger if they wanted it at launch.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Kinda snickering at the people who think their Nexus 4 had wireless charging first. It was introduced to the mobile world with the Lumia 920. As was the super sensitive touchscreen and several other features other OSes aimed to follow. Let's not forget that it took the Google end several months to release a wireless charger for their wireless charging phones making the Nexus users have to resort to a Nokia wireless charger if they wanted it at launch.

Does it matter? Nokia is irrelevant nowadays. Being first does not mean being successful.

Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Does it matter? Nokia is irrelevant nowadays. Being first does not mean being successful.

Last I checked, Nokia was still the second biggest cell phone vendor and it also more than tripled the sales of the Nexus 4. Your opinion is super adorable though.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Last I checked, Nokia was still the second biggest cell phone vendor and it also more than tripled the sales of the Nexus 4. Your opinion is super adorable though.

So a single device outsold the Nexus 4? They are selling millions of high end devices? You think your opinion was more fact than mines, that's funny.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So a single device outsold the Nexus 4? They are selling millions of high end devices? You think your opinion was more fact than mines, that's funny.

Yes, the 920 outsold the Nexus 4. Of course, when compared to the Galaxy S devices it seems small but they still sell an impressive amount compared to a plethora of other OEMs.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the 920 outsold the Nexus 4. Of course, when compared to the Galaxy S devices it seems small but they still sell an impressive amount compared to a plethora of other OEMs.

You have a source for that claim?

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You have a source for that claim?

Last numbers I can find readily apparent seem to be from January 2014 in which the Lumia 920 had sold 672,000 as opposed to 375,000 on the Nexus front. With the two coming out right next to each other, that's a pretty good representation. However, Nokia has not released numbers on individual devices since nor are there any reputable sources for the Nexus since that I can find. This is per their respective wiki sites that both seem to draw these facts from The Verge.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Last numbers I can find readily apparent seem to be from January 2014 in which the Lumia 920 had sold 672,000 as opposed to 375,000 on the Nexus front. With the two coming out right next to each other, that's a pretty good representation. However, Nokia has not released numbers on individual devices since nor are there any reputable sources for the Nexus since that I can find. This is per their respective wiki sites that both seem to draw these facts from The Verge.

Either way, Nokia does not well on the high end. That's a fact.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Either way, Nokia does not well on the high end. That's a fact.

Compared to...? At this point, they've released three high end Windows Phone devices in the US. The Lumia 900 (Carrier exclusive) Lumia 920 (Carrier Exclusive) and Lumia Icon (Carrier Exclusive) There have been variants of these three phones released that were all carrier exclusives and ultimately, by the time they were released, they were mid-rangey at best. The only two that were up to par with modern specs were the Lumia 920 and Lumia Icon. The Lumia 920 did very well unless you compare it to something like Samsung and had the best Amazon user reviews I've ever seen from a mobile device and for several weeks was the highest selling device on Amazon. The Icon is a verizon exclusive. A carrier that is known to have 0 love for Windows Phone and was the first to introduce a hindrance to long-time Windows Phone users in the form of no Glance screen (Hardware restriction) that dissuaded the fans. Walking into the store or being a fan, you were met with a major dissuader. I feel that if a high-end Lumia got the same release as the M8, in that it hit all major carriers in the US, it would beat out the M8 as HTC's foothold in the market is barely the remnant of a footprint. Does Nokia sell well in relation to Samsung? Not close. In relation to most OEMs. They do very well.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Compared to...? At this point, they've released three high end Windows Phone devices in the US. The Lumia 900 (Carrier exclusive) Lumia 920 (Carrier Exclusive) and Lumia Icon (Carrier Exclusive) There have been variants of these three phones released that were all carrier exclusives and ultimately, by the time they were released, they were mid-rangey at best. The only two that were up to par with modern specs were the Lumia 920 and Lumia Icon. The Lumia 920 did very well unless you compare it to something like Samsung and had the best Amazon user reviews I've ever seen from a mobile device and for several weeks was the highest selling device on Amazon. The Icon is a verizon exclusive. A carrier that is known to have 0 love for Windows Phone and was the first to introduce a hindrance to long-time Windows Phone users in the form of no Glance screen (Hardware restriction) that dissuaded the fans. Walking into the store or being a fan, you were met with a major dissuader. I feel that if a high-end Lumia got the same release as the M8, in that it hit all major carriers in the US, it would beat out the M8 as HTC's foothold in the market is barely the remnant of a footprint. Does Nokia sell well in relation to Samsung? Not close. In relation to most OEMs. They do very well.

To most OEMs? No. I would be surprised if they sold less than 500,000 Icons. We both know WPs growth is massively contributed to the low end devices.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Kinda snickering at the people who think their Nexus 4 had wireless charging first. It was introduced to the mobile world with the Lumia 920.
LOL, by a week. Nobody cares about Windows phone. Thats why everyone considers the Nexus 4 to be the first. The only Windows Phone anyone even remembers is the 1020 and thats only because of the camera. WP as an OS is not on anyone's radar.

To most OEMs? No. I would be surprised if they sold less than 500,000 Icons. We both know WPs growth is massively contributed to the low end devices.
Which is hilarious given that this is what Android is usually accused of.

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
LOL, by a week. Nobody cares about Windows phone. Thats why everyone considers the Nexus 4 to be the first. The only Windows Phone anyone even remembers is the 1020 and thats only because of the camera. WP as an OS is not on anyone's radar.

Well not on this side of the big pond, but overseas WP is a big thing and gaining ground very quickly. I like both OS, WP and android. both have their strong points and weak spots. I gave up my diabetes app to have quicken on my phone. lucky MS also has a webpage so I (and my doctor) can track my results. Now if Quicken would make a WP app, I'd sell this one in an instant to go back to my Nokia 1520, with its better camera and screen, not to mention the wireless charger.

Sent from my AT&T HTC One M8 via Tapatalk.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Last numbers I can find readily apparent seem to be from January 2014 in which the Lumia 920 had sold 672,000 as opposed to 375,000 on the Nexus front.
According to this source, 3 million Nexus 4's have been sold as of May 2013
LG may already be testing Nexus 5 prototype after all. Sold 3 million Nexus 4s to date | Unwired View

This site quoted 1 million sales as of Feb 2013
Google Nexus 4 sales top 1m milestone despite stock shortages - News - Trusted Reviews

Even this site claims 400,000 units sold in 2012
Google Nexus 4 Sales - Business Insider

With the two coming out right next to each other, that's a pretty good representation. However, Nokia has not released numbers on individual devices since nor are there any reputable sources for the Nexus since that I can find. This is per their respective wiki sites that both seem to draw these facts from The Verge.
So you are saying you don't really know that the 920 has outsold the Nexus 4. It is an assumption you are making.

Well, your assumption on Nexus 4 sales was way off.

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Well not on this side of the big pond, but overseas WP is a big thing and gaining ground very quickly.
Actually, outside the US Android is far stronger. 80% marketshare worldwide.

This is marketshare inside the US:

chart 1.png

Android grew 3 times as much as WP, despite already holding majority marketshare. This is worldwide marketshare:

chart2a.png

Worldwide, Android is destroying everyone, by a wide margin, including Windows Phone.

From what I have seen, WP growth has come at the expense of BB...but that will not last forever. Eventually BB marketshare will drop to zero and WP will hit a wall.

Attachments

• chart 2.png
    chart 2.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 22