Is Chromecast the reason the N10 didn't get Miracast?

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Just a random thought I had while waiting on my ChromeCast to be shipped.

When I decided to buy the N10 one of the features I was most interested in was the miracast [the play store originally listed the n10 as having miracast,]. Then when Google clarified that the N10 wasn't Miracst capable at that time many of us assumed it would be added/restored in a future update. As of yet it hasn't.

I'm just curious if people think ChromeCast may be the reason why.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I think ChromeCast was more to fill a need for TVs that do not support it nor have built in apps. My Sony already has YouTube, Netflix and Hula apps so aside from some additional benefits I do not need it.

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Just a random thought I had while waiting on my ChromeCast to be shipped.

When I decided to buy the N10 one of the features I was most interested in was the miracast [the play store originally listed the n10 as having miracast,]. Then when Google clarified that the N10 wasn't Miracst capable at that time many of us assumed it would be added/restored in a future update. As of yet it hasn't.

I'm just curious if people think ChromeCast may be the reason why.

It is now supported on N10 in 4.3.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I think ChromeCast was more to fill a need for TVs that do not support it nor have built in apps. My Sony already has YouTube, Netflix and Hula apps so aside from some additional benefits I do not need it.

Not to keep going O/T here, but I've been debating it if only for YouTube. Every TV in my house has a Roku, which of course doesn't carry YouTube. My main TV has a YouTube app, as does the BR player attached to it, but both are horrible. (The TV is a shame given that the remote has a QWERTY keyboard on the back.) In fact, I've never seen a good YouTube app on any TV or attached peripheral. I'm curious as to how good the one is on Chromecast, given the Google/YouTube connection.

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I just hooked it up to ptv3000 to see it work. Sorry no time to play lately :(

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I must have missed that.

Have you used it? How well does it work?

<crap now I need something miracast capable>

I've been trying to figure out a way to stream a movie played from a website from my pc to my tv. I tried with my N10, but the movie would not play. Too bad because i have an hdmi cable that can go from my N10 to my hdmi switch box to the (non wifi) samsung tv.

Today I ordered the ChromeCast and also a wifi extender. We recently got a Sony BR player with wifi that works with Amazon Prime. Our Roku did not work with amazon movies. I'm just getting a media setup (via Sony software) to stream from content on the pc to the BR player today. That's just for stuff in storage though. I'm trying to figure out how to do live movie streaming (From Hallmark website which we subscribe to) to our tv. That's why I've ordered the ChromeCast although I don't know if it will work for that. Someone says there's a way to get Adobe Flash onto an android tablet and I'm going to try that today also. If that works, I'll just cancel the ChromeCast order. Standardization? What standardization? We ain't got to show you no stinkin standardization! :)

Update: I found a place to get Adobe Flash Player onto my N10--see other thread posts. I might still give ChromeCast a try though. If you go to Amazon, you'll find a lot of customer reviews and comments for chromecast. Some are very technical and discuss Miracast as well.

Last edited:

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I must have missed that.

Have you used it? How well does it work?

<crap now I need something miracast capable>

I got a Rocketfish Miracast receiver for $30 at Best Buy for the 2013 N7. It works great.
It supports 5GHz WiFi and is nice and compact.