Just returned my iPhone 6s Plus... honest review comparison w/ Note 5

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I noticed on the video some lagging on the Note 5. Look at the Note 5 when scrolling in YouTube. Google Maps had to redraw every time he would zoom out.

I also noticed that in a few of the tests he said was a tie it seemed like the Note 5 was slightly faster (in my opinion). I think the 6s won some battles but overall the Note 5 has a slight edge.

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Idle time is better on the 6+ by almost 30% but for power users that doesn't matter at all. For those that use the phone like an actual phone the 6+ isn't nearly as good.
That's been my experience with Apple devices as well: Good standby times, but not so good when you are actually using the phone. I actually carry both iOS and Android devices with me 90% of the time (one for each pocket, lol). My iPhone usually sits in my pocket while my Android device gets all the use, so of course the iPhone will go a few days because it does nothing. I get about three calls per week on the Apple, compared to 20 to 100 calls per day on the other. So yesterday I decided to spread out the usage and put them both to work. After 24 hours the iPhone had dropped from 100% to 42%, which is really ok. The other phone (an HTC One M8) was used harder than the iPhone and was at 64%.

A major difference I've also seen (this is coming from someone who has owned every iPhone from the 3 to the 6), is that iPhone battery life is at it's best the first few weeks, then begins a downward trend. The Androids I've had are at their worst the first few days, then stabilize and improve. I've had my M8 for about a year, and I often finish a long day at work with the phone at 70%. I recently got my son the iPhone 6, and he said the battery life was great. Now a month later, I see him come home from school and make a beeline for his charger so he can juice back up.

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
That's been my experience with Apple devices as well: Good standby times, but not so good when you are actually using the phone. I actually carry both iOS and Android devices with me 90% of the time (one for each pocket, lol). My iPhone usually sits in my pocket while my Android device gets all the use, so of course the iPhone will go a few days because it does nothing. I get about three calls per week on the Apple, compared to 20 to 100 calls per day on the other. So yesterday I decided to spread out the usage and put them both to work. After 24 hours the iPhone had dropped from 100% to 42%, which is really ok. The other phone (an HTC One M8) was used harder than the iPhone and was at 64%.

A major difference I've also seen (this is coming from someone who has owned every iPhone from the 3 to the 6), is that iPhone battery life is at it's best the first few weeks, then begins a downward trend. The Androids I've had are at their worst the first few days, then stabilize and improve. I've had my M8 for about a year, and I often finish a long day at work with the phone at 70%. I recently got my son the iPhone 6, and he said the battery life was great. Now a month later, I see him come home from school and make a beeline for his charger so he can juice back up.
I no longer use an iPhone so I can't testify for the latest iPhones but I never had great experiences with battery life. I get great battery life on Windows Phone and great usage with Android although standby isn't as strong on Android.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I work at Apple and have a Note 5 as my daily driver.
(although, i also have an iphone 6 decoy i pull out in front of customers ;p)

Note 5 > S6 Edge + > iPhone

Elander

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
It's all depend on our needs. But don't forget, apple only throw out features which has already stabil in performance (at least until now :p)

Posted via the Android Central App #Galnote5

I suppose you're right. I like the flexibility with android phones which you don't get with iphones (unless it's jail broken).

Elander

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
My 6S gets here Tuesday so I'll be able to compare the two as well. Samsung made a hell of a product and the only thing keeping it down is honestly Google. Android apps reaally need to be more restricted in how they turn on in the background. That said, I'll be keeping both phones.

Why do you think Google is the problem? I have a Google nexus 5, should I be concerned?

redhat1001

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I currently have both and enjoy each. Yesterday playing around with the cameras in the house in low-light, the N5 easily beat the 6S+. I haven't been able to try it out in the daylight yet. I've read all the comparisons, but it's nothing like seeing it for yourself.
As for the N5, I haven't been disappointed in anything really. All the changes from N4 to N5 I knew about before I ever bought the N5. can't complain...I bought it.
The 6S+ is nice, but not radically different from the regular 6+ (which I have also). I got it mainly for the camera upgrade. 3D touch, peek & pop...nice but not something I would use, but out of curiosity.
When I want to be creative and customize or take serious photos that I can actually edit from RAW, I use the N5.
When I want to not have to think, and imessage and facetime family and friends...I use the 6S+.

Last edited:

snsn

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been a loyal Galaxy user for many years , starting with Galaxy's then Notes 2,3,4, and now 5!
But I'm getting this uncontrollable urge to get a 6s+.
Actually, I want to use both for a while and just switch the sim card, back and forth whenever.
Being on AT&T they tell me each time I switch the sim, I'll have to call Cust Sup to make a "change" in their system because the data plans are different in their billing and it needs to be updated.
I've received feedback from many users doing this and they say it works fine.
I like the features of the Note 5 but have to say I don't use the S pen often.
I guess I could buy one from Apple have it activated and use it for 2 weeks and then return it, if I don't enjoy it.
But the hassle of moving all the data back and forth is an issue.
I've been reading reviews/ posts on both sites and depending which forum your on, apple or android , each story is pushing the respective phone, on their site!
My other 3 lines for my kids all have 6's!
V-e-r-y C-o-n-f-u-s-e-d :)

redhat1001

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been a loyal Galaxy user for many years , starting with Galaxy's then Notes 2,3,4, and now 5!
But I'm getting this uncontrollable urge to get a 6s+.
Actually, I want to use both for a while and just switch the sim card, back and forth whenever.
Being on AT&T they tell me each time I switch the sim, I'll have to call Cust Sup to make a "change" in their system because the data plans are different in their billing and it needs to be updated.
I've received feedback from many users doing this and they say it works fine.
I like the features of the Note 5 but have to say I don't use the S pen often.
I guess I could buy one from Apple have it activated and use it for 2 weeks and then return it, if I don't enjoy it.
But the hassle of moving all the data back and forth is an issue.
I've been reading reviews/ posts on both sites and depending which forum your on, apple or android , each story is pushing the respective phone, on their site!
My other 3 lines for my kids all have 6's!
V-e-r-y C-o-n-f-u-s-e-d :)

I switch sims in the phones quite often, sometimes in the same day, and have for years. No problems. I did that when I was on the unlimited data plan, and also my current family share plan. The only thing I would have to do if I wanted to, was make sure the Iphones' IMEI number was in the AT&T systems IF I wanted to facetime over Data.

mach1man

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the regular 6s (stores where out of the plus) and the Note 5... one thing I did notice was if I took a picture on the 6s and sent it to the note 5 over the verizon network through text message, then photo would be pixilated.. now reverse that and send pic from Note 5 to 6s and its crystal clear

knowledge_6

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
good review and i know it'll help a lot of people ; >
these phones are so similar in the way they perform i wouldn't have an issue recommending either of them to anyone!
depends on tech savvy they are and how much they are willing to change the way they do things..

from my person experience using the 6s Plus for a day... my buddy works for a carrier and lent it to me.
- 3D touch i find to be kind of useless right now but i can see it getting better with more functionality as dev incorporate it into their apps
- i notice on my Note 5 when i hover my spen over apps some will pop up with the label and some won't
- battery..only 1 day so i cannot comment, but the note 5's fast charge or any phone with fast charge is $$$$
- Camera... i don't like how the iphone crops the view finder
- finger print.. i could barely notice the difference but the note 5 did not register 2 out of 10 where as the iphone didn't register 1 out of 10

when it comes down to it..My reasons for the Note 5 > 6s
- Screen.. hands down AMAZING On the Note 5... especially with netflix HD and Ultra HD (when available)
- S Pen
- Quick launch of camera
- Nova Launcher and the ENDLESS customization options
- yes the glass is a finger print magnet but it looks slick (also feel slick)
- LED light

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I work at Apple and have a Note 5 as my daily driver.
(although, i also have an iphone 6 decoy i pull out in front of customers ;p)

Note 5 > S6 Edge + > iPhone

Awesome!!

Posted from my Beast Galaxy Note 5

DEVICE HISTORY (since they got smart)
PHONES: Galaxy Nexus, LG viper, Galaxy s3, HTC Evo 4g, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy s5, LG G-Flex, Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy s6 edge, Galaxy Note 5. TABLETS: Galaxy Note 10.1 gt-n8013, Galaxy tab 3 7.0. WATCH: Galaxy gear

Joshwin

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
3d touch is bit overrated i would say. Many apps don't even support this feature yet. but still it is an innovative feature in the mobile history.I really appreciate apple doing such a great thing.this kind of innovation is really needed cos sure many will adapt it soon and even make it work better than apple did.

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree. However, needing the stylus doesn't make them new Apple features. It only makes them old to Android features accessed a different Apple way...with your finger. ;-)

Posted via the Android Central App

And the S-Pen is more precise than a finger when writing or hovering.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Touch ID in iPhone 6s is wicked, wicked fast. The Note 5 is still isn't bad is pretty much the same as in 5s and 6 but 6s is wicked fast. I have one and have compared it myself.

So I'm wondering how fast does it need to be? How urgently does one need to unlock their phone? It's one thing if it just doesn't work. It's another if we are talking speed of unlocking.

My opinion and take is that its silly to compare the two. One might open 2ms faster? Lol.

I had the 6+ and it's a fantastic device but the differences are all OS related. Hardware and small features are negligible unless you switched because I use mine for business and use the spen for notes and better screen capture and documenting.

This fingerprint thing is funny

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
First of all, I'm not here to bash either Apple or Samsung. I enjoy both products and have owned numerous devices from both companies. I just wanted to give an honest review to someone who can't decide on which new phone to get. I wanted to give some real world pros and cons of every day examples that might not be too obvious to some. These are my personal opinions only and others may disagree or agree :)

Look and feel: They are both similar in size, I recommend having a case for both devices as they both feel too slippery without one. Aesthetically, the Note 5 is much nicer to look at with the curved side edges and glass back panels. The 6s Plus looks great but I'm not a fan of the outlined antennas on the back. The Note 5 is much easier to navigate and quicker to do everyday tasks (I will explain this later). I think the iPhone 6s is a better size between the two - you need to really use two hands for the Plus since it's so big and doesn't have a convenient back button. The fingerprint censor is a lot better on the iPhone (by a mile) - much quicker and naturally placed.

Camera/Photos: Honestly, they both take great photos. If someone was to send me photos taken from the exact same location I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I do prefer the speed and convenience of Note 5's camera - you simply double click on the home button whereas in apple you need to either unlock, click on camera or click on home button and scroll up (camera shortcut). I also like how the Note 5 uses the full screen as the viewfinder whereas the iPhone you lose about a quarter of the screen. The new Live Photos feature is pretty cool and the slow motion shot is much better on the iPhone.

Battery Life: I would say the battery life itself is a little bit better on the iPhone. The lighting cable is more convenient than the usb since there is no right or wrong way. However, the quick charge on the Note 5 makes a huge difference. Forgot to charge your phone at night? Just plug it in before you hop in the shower and you are back at 50% easy.

Customization: Again, this is where Androids shine. Yes, you can jail break the iPhone but then you risk warranty etc... I still hate Touch Wiz (even though it has gotten a lot better) so I use Nova. It takes a bit to customize to your liking but in the end you can't beat the amount of customizations you can make on the android to speed up your efficiency/productivity.

Apps: Apple by a mile. Apple has better quality apps (especially games) and a better designed app store. The play store is a mess and too many steps required to see what's new and updated.

Text Messaging: iMessages > Standard SMS.

Multitasking: Note 5 > *. True multitasking.

Keyboard: I find Apple's keyboard a bit more precise and efficient.

Bloatware: Samsung is known for bloatware but I find Apple to be equally bad. "Watch" app comes preinstalled which cannot be deleted. Same with Keynote, Stocks, Pages, Numbers, iMovie, Find Friends and News which I never use.

S Pen: I don't find the S Pen that useful but a neat feature to have for note takers.

3D Touch: Honestly, I think this feature is a bit overrated. For example, if you "hard press" on the phone or messages icon, you get a list of recent or favorite contacts. You can achieve the same action by creating a shortcut of your favorites on your home screen, which is technically faster. It is a nice feature to have inside Mail which allows you to preview your messages before opening them but I don't really find myself using this feature as I generally know which emails I want to read.

I could keep rambling on but I just wanted to share my thoughts. :)
Barring any major screwups with the launch device, this review would look a lot different if the OP pitted the new iPhone against the new nexus 6p. But phone brands aside there's one section I disagree with and it's your opinion of app quality. I only install paid apps with a good longstanding reputation and in that respect I don't see what you're seeing.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
From what I've read, the new iPhone 6s/plus is the 1st mobile phone ever to use custom NAND transfer which is also being used in their laptops?

dkunzman

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Apple iPhone 6S Plus 64GB Gray on AT&T iOS 9.0.1
Samsung Note 5 64GB Black on AT&T Android 5.1.1

My use for these devices is predominately email, internet search and research, document review with minor modifications, note taking including annotations, pictures, messaging, financial, calendar, and gaming. Note that I will be using both devices full time and not returning one of them and am heavily invested in both OS's. Both devices have encryption turned where possible

General use:

Email: Both devices perform very well online but the iPhone has issues with email retention offline or in airplane mode. Call N5 the winner here.

Internet / Research: Since I use Google as my search engine, both devices perfomed equally well. I have been running into an issue with long complex webpages on Safari. Safari does have a better option for handling bookmarks. Call it a tie.

Document Review: Most of my documents come via email or the cloud (several). Both have mutliple apps to execute this and the default email view in iOS is good, the ability to default or option various apps on open in Android makes the N5 the winner here.

Note Taking: Sorry, but for notes, the stylus, lockscreen notes and convert handwriting to text makes N5 the clear winner. Audio recording was easy on each.

Photos: Both have great cameras and I seldom use video. most of the shots I take are indoor and require levels of detail. When at max resolution the N5 is the leader here. What sold it for me was the easy ability to send multiple shots at once to a location or peer. N5 wins for my photo use.

Messaging: If, everyone used an iPhone iMessage would be the winner. They don't. The ability to default an SMS/MMS puts the N5 at the top.

Financial: Both devices display stock information well for me. Widgets puts the N5 slightly ahead and the lockscreen is off due to security. Call it close.

Calendar: Both not bad and 3D Touch is nice on the 6S+. The agenda widget on the N5 is great. End of the day both are close. The N5 takes it though as I can jot a meeting invite and notes via the S-Pen.

Apps: Both have just about anything I need. Cosmetically iOS may look a bit cleaner. It's a tie.

Gaming: The iPhone takes it here. I like strategy, TD, and RPG apps. Apple has a better selection.

Calls: I use it via voice calling, regular calls, party calls, speakerphone and via conference speaker. both work very well and do a great job. Clear, concise and no drops. It's a tie.

Battery: Call them close. I can get greater than a day out of each. The advantage goes to the N5 due to Quick Charge. This is a great feature when I need it. Usually when least expected.

Overall: I have to give the Note 5 the nod. The current OS version is less buggy, widgets, the ability to default apps, and the S-Pen make it the work horse of the two. but for games ....