Lag fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny_Mac

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Dirrk! You're the man!! Just updated my voodoo kernel from the standard to the d02-sv-1200 and the Fascinate is rockin'!

I tried running the lv-1250 & 1200 kernels but they were unstable and caused the CPU temp to jump rapidly. The standard voltage lets me run @ 1.2 with little to no temp increase. With the old voodoo I ran a 1723. With the new sv-1200 I ran a 1993! NenaMark1 scores 49.5fps.

On a side note, I just tried to get into it and it would not respond to the power switch at all. Pulled the battery and rebooted fine and appears to be working now. Not sure if I will have to back down to the 1100 kernel or not. I really don't want to but I will if there are any stability isues.

Thanks again for the awesome work!
~Johnny

Jodiuh

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Is there an explanation of what each of those are for? I have a slight grasp on the lv, sv, speed thing, but a more in depth discussion would help greatly. Thanks!

I'm looking @ D02-Kernel-LV-1000.zip for best battery life, right?

I tried running the lv-1250 & 1200 kernels but they were unstable and caused the CPU temp to jump rapidly.
How are you checking your CPU temp?

To anyone: When the device gets warm up top on the back and the screen, is that the wifi or 3g radio?

Johnny_Mac

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Some problems. Am I the only one??

Well, regretfully, the newer voodoo kernels are ALL causing my Fascinate to shut off on it's own. Sometimes holding the power button will turn the device back on but more often I have to do a battery pull to get it to reboot.

The original voodo kernel I used (voodoo_kernel_0.2) caused no issues whatsoever but did not allow for any over-clocking or lower voltages. The newer over-clocked kernels (1200 (lv) & 1250 (lv&sv)) caused all kinds of issues on my device. The 1200 (sv) and 1100 and 1000 versions (both sv & lv) all appeared to be stable except for the random shutdown. The shutdown does not occur when the Fascinate is in use but does happen sometime after it is idle and the screen has timed out. I will pick it up and hit the power switch to wake it from standby and nothing happens. Sometimes holding the power button will boot it and other times only a battery pull will allow it to boot.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Until I hear it's a bug and is fixed, I will have to reload the original 0.2 kernel. No way I want to go back to stock kernel.

~Johnny

Last edited:

tlynn87

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
im new to the root thing i rooted my phone using the mac video tutorial and now i want to do the lag fix but i dont know how to send the zip file to my sd card?? PLEASE HELP ME thanks

psyched87

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, regretfully, the newer voodoo kernels are ALL causing my Fascinate to shut off on it's own. Sometimes holding the power button will turn the device back on but more often I have to do a battery pull to get it to reboot.

The original voodo kernel I used (voodoo_kernel_0.2) caused no issues whatsoever but did not allow for any over-clocking or lower voltages. The newer over-clocked kernels (1200 (lv) & 1250 (lv&sv)) caused all kinds of issues on my device. The 1200 (sv) and 1100 and 1000 versions (both sv & lv) all appeared to be stable except for the random shutdown. The shutdown does not occur when the Fascinate is in use but does happen sometime after it is idle and the screen has timed out. I will pick it up and hit the power switch to wake it from standby and nothing happens. Sometimes holding the power button will boot it and other times only a battery pull will allow it to boot.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Until I hear it's a bug and is fixed, I will have to reload the original 0.2 kernel. No way I want to go back to stock kernel.

~Johnny

I downloaded the 1250(lv) and I was experiencing this issue and regretfully had to uninstall. Good to hear that the 0.2 kernel works and I'll be sure to give that one a try. I haven't tested any of the others for the time being on my Fascinate but just wanted to say that I experienced the same thing where it would randomly shut my phone off and only a battery pull would get it to reboot. Thankfully it's easy to uninstall!

drakan74

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Please remove the ext2 lagfix if you have it

If you have the lagfix that was posted here installed you should remove the lagfix as it is obsolete now that we have voodoo kernels.

If you are unsure if you have this installed or not please dont attempt anything without checking. If you have a voodoo kernel installed already then you do not need to continue.

[How to check(easy way)]
Download quadrant from the Market(its free)
run full benchmark
If you are getting scores below 1000 then skip ahead to install the new lagfix
If you are getting scores 1200+ there is a 99%+ chance you have the old lagfix installed unless you have already upgraded to the voodoo kernels.

If you are still unsure then you need check using the harder method

[How to check]
Download ConnectBot from the Market(its free) or use adb shell(for adb skip down to the command)
Open connectbot
Select local from the drop down menu should say ssh by default
Press and hold down where it says nickname (Long press)
Choose Input Method and select Android Keyboard (swype does not work very well in this app)
type root in the nickname text box
press done
it should open up an all black screen with a $ symbol at the top.
You are going to type in this command EXACTLY how I put it.

mount | busybox grep ext2

To get the | symbol hit ?123 button then Alt and it is where 3 would be

If you get a result besides the $ symbol then you have it installed. And should uninstall it if you want to use voodoo instead.

[How to uninstall]
Downloading the attached RyanZAEXT2LagFix ALPHA 1.zip
run unlagfix.bat

[How to install the new lagfix]
1. Root your phone. (Link in my signature)
2. Install ClockworkMod Recovery http://forum.androidcentral.com/fascinate-roms-hacks/35726-clockworkmod-recovery.html#post353417
3. Get the Voodoo Kernel
To help figure out which Kernel is for you! Look here first
LV = Low Voltage
SV = Standard Voltage
Versions D02 Include bootanimations and allow you to use your own animation.
Versions D01 and D012 Do not allow for animations

Download a voodoo Kernel https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxkJ4zVcE6f_ODVkMjZmMzYtNjE5ZS00Y2RmLTgwZWEtOTIxNGQyNTliNTQ4&hl=en
And place it on your sdcard

You will need to download setcpu, and you should download it from the market and pay the $1 for the app because you paid $200 for the phone so dont pretend to be a cheap ***.

Boot into recovery (Volume Up + Down + Power)
You will see the samsung screen, let go.
It will open into the regular recovery
Click Apply update.zip (or something like that)
It will say verifying bs blah blah blah and magically clockworkmod opens (thanks koush)

Go to install zip from sdcard > Choose zip > Scroll down to the kernel you chose ie. D02-Kernel-LV-1250.zip and click on it. It will update and then you just need to restart your phone.

When restarting for the first time you will hear voices(not in your head) and it will take a full 10 minutes. Just walk away after you hear the voice say step1

FAQ:
What is voodoo?
Project Voodoo, Galaxy S improvements | Open Source project homepage

Why are my scores lower when comparred to the original lagfix and why should I use the new voodoo lagfix instead?
Because it uses ext2 instead of ext4, which tricks benchmarks into over rating the filesystem. You will not notice a difference in real use speeds but ext4 is used because it is very stable and is less likely to loose your data. This lagfix unlike the other is an actual fix to how the kernel sets up the filesystem when it is started.

How do I uninstall it?
Make a new folder/file named disable_lagfix inside your voodoo folder on your sdcard. Then restart your phone.
Command: adb shell mkdir /sdcard/Voodoo/disable_lagfix
adb reboot
I just rooted fascinate, getting 868, i want to use this lag fix, but i wanted to know if i will lose any data doing this? i have titanium, dunno if its actually a FULL backup of data, havent tried...can anyone assist me please...thank you in advance for your time. Im loving this site!

" I know not, what weapons WWW 3 will be fought with.............
But i know that WWW 4 will be fought with sticks and stones..........

....Einsten....

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site

~Johnny

I am on v0.2 and I still have the problems. So I am going back to stock ...let's see what happens.

Last edited:

cmanbrooks

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
Got an issue here guys.

Everything went fine with downloading the LV1250 kernel, but set cpu still wouldn't let me actually set the CPU above 800 after reboot. So I switched to the SV1200 kernel to see if I would get the same issue.

Download was...strange. No robot voice and a much quicker reboot. On reboot verizon startup music plays but no animation. I'm able to set the CPU now, but even when set the same, the whole OS is buggy. Freezing, very random FCE's, strange values for CPUset (max 534mhz? min 19.4? or 0.00) etc until it eventually comes to a frozen halt and I have to pull the battery.

I've tried rebooting on the LV1250 kernel to see if that would fix the problem and nothing. What am I doing wrong?

cmanbrooks

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmm. I think the problem has to do with running CPUset with the stock kernel, then downloading an overclock kernel. Anyone else who has been having difficulties with OC try reinstalling CPUset. Everything works great for me now.

EDIT: Wow....just ran quadrant on the SV1200 kernel with a score of 2046.

Verizonguy

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Problems!!

Every time I boot into recovery it and when I go to press update.zip it says that it fails says something about the signature file. I cannot get this to go at all, any guidance would be much appreciated

hoodie#AC

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
downloaded D02-Kernel-LV-1250, and then it started to freeze up on me--up to the point where it was hard to unlock the phone screen let a lone dock my phone

then i got the launcher pro cannot be launch message repeatedly,
so i just decided to factory restart it....
any suggestions to what other kernel i should get?

would it be because i checked "load on boot" on the setcpu?

crayzkeo7

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Screwed!

Alright so i think i made a huge mistake because now i can only turn on my phone and off...it goes to the main screen but it goes black and these "Sorry!" for the TwLauncher and the adroid.medcore is there anything i can do to get my phone back??? :'( big time

Reactions: hevishotmatt

Seba617

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
ok. i dont know what im doing wrong. i found a wiki article cyanogen here

Full Update Guide - Samsung Galaxy S (Fascinate) - CyanogenMod Wiki

and i installed clockworkmod recovery through there. now when i tried doing the lag fix i turn off my phone, do the (volume up/down +power) to get into boot and when i click update from sd card it says verifying and then failed. is this because i didn it through the app instead of through odin? if so then how do i remove it and restart so i can do it the proper way? thanks

hoodie#AC

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
i dont know if its just me but a lot of people seem to be having problems with this...

is there an instructional video for this :p\

if the lv1250 doesn't work, which one should we try?

cmanbrooks

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
i dont know if its just me but a lot of people seem to be having problems with this...

is there an instructional video for this :p\

if the lv1250 doesn't work, which one should we try?

The next best bet is to try D02SV1200. If that doesn't either next in line is SV1100. My phone doesn't seem to like being OC'd above 1100mhz.

The instructions on the original post are a bit misleading, but only because it seems overly simple. It really is as easy as the instructions dictate.
1.Make sure you have clockworkmod and the old lag fix is disabled by running "unlagfixme.bat" (file included in the zip of the original "lag fix")
2. Download choice of kernel to computer
3. Connect phone to computer, and mount phone
4. Place kernel somewhere on SD card that you will easily be able to find
5. Turn off phone and boot into recovery mode (press and hold both volume keys and power button at the same time)
6. Use volume keys to navigate to "apply sdcard:update.zip" press home button to select
7. Navigate to "install zip from sd card" power button to select
8. select "chose zip from sdcard" then chose your desired kernel and reboot.
(for first time downloaders of voodoo you will know you did everything correctly if a robot voice starts speaking on your phone)

Last edited:

jrobinsky

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Edit...I heard the robot voice. I am trying D02-Kernel-SV-1200.zip first, lets see how it works. Hopefully fast and stable...wish me luck!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej