skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why people are still putting screen protectors on. Gorilla glass kicks arse. Case wise I'm naked for now until the flip cover case arrives in the mail.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why people are still putting screen protectors on. Gorilla glass kicks arse. Case wise I'm naked for now until the flip cover case arrives in the mail.

Gorilla Glass still scratches.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Gorilla Glass still scratches.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

This. While scratch resistant to most things it wouldnt really come into contact with (knives, razors, keys) it is not scratch resistant to the things it more commonly comes in contact with. Small particles of sand and rock in dust, dirt, etc. These particles are hard to see to the human eye, but can gouge through these screens like butter. And while you may be thinking to yourself, "I don't keep sand or rocks in my pocket." You will find that quite often, these particles will find their way into your clothes, or on your clothes, without you having done anything to provoke it. So next time you are using your shirt to wipe oil residue off of your screen, keep that in mind.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
i got a white tpu case from verizon and its actually pretty good. but the bottom edge below the home button is drooping a bit so i figured i would get a nice diztronic case. got a clear diztronic and i like it well enough but i find that the covering on the buttons isn't always the easiest to press and its a bit annoying. also with both cases when the phone is on its back and i have something coming out of the speaker i can't hear it so i have to turn it on its face. then if i'm listening to music i have to keep flipping it over to change songs or if i'm on a call i have to unmute and mute and then flip it back over. so i took the case off while on a very long call. put it down on its back. and voila i can hear the call and mute unmute without issue...think i might ditch the case all together.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I won't go without a case on something I use everyday. Yes, I have insurance, but really...why tempt fate. I know with my other phones, well...accidents happen. Including accidentally in the dark truck, sticking a Moto phone in a cold cup of coffee, thinking it was an empty cup holder. (no case would have helped that)
I had the black Spec case from Bbuy for a few days and not really happy with it. While it does FIT the S4 nicely, the back is so scratched up from just normal wear, I'm taking it back. I mean it looks like it's been skidded across the asphault and it's only been in my pocket and on my desk or in my truck on the Grip. I don't want to keep something that looks like that. It's glossy black and really looks bad now.
Today, I ordered
61edz7DILYL._SL1000_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C96CGXM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the look of it and it gets good reviews. It's a little bulkier than my Spec, but it does protect well, they say. Guys say it's not too bulky to put in their pocket, so it should be fine.
Also, it comes with a screen protector, so we'll see about that as well. I've always used Zagg, but we'll see how this Otter one stacks up.
FYI...Gorilla glass will scratch. Don't be fooled. I scratched my old one just putting it in my pocket with a pocket knife, closed, and the rub scratched the front. I hated that. I put a Zagg on then, but the scratch was already there.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes I understand that gorilla glass will scratch. The main thing for me is just enjoying the phone vs wrapping it up right to avoid the $99 deductible or however much it is. But I did get a case just because I felt like I should. And I found that I really dislike using either of them

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Yes I understand that gorilla glass will scratch. The main thing for me is just enjoying the phone vs wrapping it up right to avoid the $99 deductible or however much it is. But I did get a case just because I felt like I should. And I found that I really dislike using either of them
Oh heck ya. I don't like putting a cover on either. Doesn't feel as natural. ::cool::eek:
Still, I don't like having to replace a phone that I have come to lo, naw...phone I'm really attached to.
And today, with this slick Spec case, I sat it down on something that was sort of angled and it just straight SLID right off and I caught it mid air.
That's the final straw to get rid of this slippery Spec case and get something more 'grippy'.

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
No case or screen protector here. The phone is already pretty big, why would I want to make it any bigger or make it look ugly and bulky with a case. It is a good looking piece of hardware and I don't want to hide that. I think the phone feels really good in my hands naked and I really don't feel that it's more fragile than my old iPhone 4. At least the back is plastic, not glass like the iPhone 4.

I never had any protection on my original Motorola Droid, Droid Incredible, or my iPhone 4. I've never even had a tiny scratch on any of them, and never dropped any of them on anything other than carpet. Best Buy gave me the full ($115) trade in value for my 2 year old iPhone 4 and they were impressed that I had no case or screen protector on it and it still looked brand new. My old Droids I had sold on ebay when I upgraded and I got good money for both because they still looked just like new. I am always careful with my electronics. For example, if I am walking on a blacktop surface it stays in my pocket as I know that blacktop would probably be the worst thing to drop it on. A tile, or wood floor wouldn't be as damaging, and carpet is of course no problem at all.

I do have Verizon's insurance though, so if something does go wrong, I'll gladly pay the $99 deductible and get another.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
The only reason I can see to get a case is so you don't have to baby the phone and can just enjoy it. That would be the only reason I would put a case back on. But I figure it's going to get scratched and dinged eventually. As long as it's not a gash in the screen or the camera lens then it's not a big deal.

Marck527

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Was YOLOing it and not using a case for the past 3 days. But my case arrived now so all goods.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
My wife convinced me that since we are trying to have a baby $100 I'd more significant than I think. And when we have a kid I'm going to need to use a case so I might as well get used to it.

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the Spigen Slim Armor and love it. Thin and actually makes the phone look better IMO. I use a case because I typically sell my phone when my contract is up. I advertise no scratches and "phone has been in a case the entire time" and that tends to typically get higher bids than naked phones.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
This. While scratch resistant to most things it wouldnt really come into contact with (knives, razors, keys) it is not scratch resistant to the things it more commonly comes in contact with. Small particles of sand and rock in dust, dirt, etc. These particles are hard to see to the human eye, but can gouge through these screens like butter. And while you may be thinking to yourself, "I don't keep sand or rocks in my pocket." You will find that quite often, these particles will find their way into your clothes, or on your clothes, without you having done anything to provoke it. So next time you are using your shirt to wipe oil residue off of your screen, keep that in mind.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2

I have a flip case to protect the screen in my pocket.

stewbug

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I just got the phone a few days ago, and ordered the UAG Rust color case for my S4. Waiting for it to arrive at my door but right now no case on it.

Shon123

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm a firm believer in cases and screen protectors! I actually dropped my 10 day old s4 on tile floor and after my heart skipped a beat I picked it up and it was just fine thanks to my case :cool:

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm a firm believer in cases and screen protectors! I actually dropped my 10 day old s4 on tile floor and after my heart skipped a beat I picked it up and it was just fine thanks to my case :cool:
Out of curiosity, how do you know the case helped at all? Wouldn't you have to drop it the exact same way without the case to verify that it would brake if the case wasn't there?