Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 6, 2013
Visit site
This. While scratch resistant to most things it wouldnt really come into contact with (knives, razors, keys) it is not scratch resistant to the things it more commonly comes in contact with. Small particles of sand and rock in dust, dirt, etc. These particles are hard to see to the human eye, but can gouge through these screens like butter. And while you may be thinking to yourself, "I don't keep sand or rocks in my pocket." You will find that quite often, these particles will find their way into your clothes, or on your clothes, without you having done anything to provoke it. So next time you are using your shirt to wipe oil residue off of your screen, keep that in mind.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2
I think that's what has happened to mine. I have had the S-view case on since day one and just noticed a minute scratch of about an 1/8 inch over by the phone button. Only visible in bright light with the screen off, then it's still hard to see and only by me, but damn-it if it doesn't look like a car wreck every time I use my phone LOL. My theory is that a particle of sand or something got in between the flap and screen to cause this. I have used no screen protector on my last 3 iPhones with cases just to protect the backs and had no problems. Now I'm thinking the flap has to go because I'm not wanting to prove my theory right.

DSWR

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Mines running as naked as it gets! I do a lot of motorsport racing in cars/karts, etc and sometimes forget to take the phone out my pocket while blasting around! This things experienced over 20,000RPM and lots of seat smashing! She's hold up well! I noticed the bottom right (if you're looking at back of the phone) side of my phone has a little bit of a dent and scruff but it's not noticeable, just feelable. I used to always be cracking iPhones doing this stuff so I'm actually enjoying the cheapo plasticness of the GS4

bigkevbosky

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Mine is naked as well. I've tried with tons of different cases and screen protectors on the many phones I've had and I've never really liked any of them. Usually I only use them to cover up some sort of damage to the phone. But if you're careful with your phone you shouldn't have any problems. Besides, the battery cover is replaceable, so who cares if it gets scratched up?

tjg312

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I intended to go naked on my s4, then 2 days later after I got it it had a short fall which only put a little ding in the glass, which then spiderwebbed into a crack across the screen, which then expanded into even more cracks making it basically unusable. Sent it in to samsung had it repaired for $200 and got a case & screen protector. lesson learned

Relletti

Trusted Member
Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I intended to go naked on my s4, then 2 days later after I got it it had a short fall which only put a little ding in the glass, which then spiderwebbed into a crack across the screen, which then expanded into even more cracks making it basically unusable. Sent it in to samsung had it repaired for $200 and got a case & screen protector. lesson learned

Smh that's messed up!

Tapatalking from my Galaxy IV

tjg312

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Smh that's messed up!

Tapatalking from my Galaxy IV

haha yeah it definitely sucks. the gorilla glass is definitely resistant to small scratches like leaving it in your pocket with keys, but the huge screen doesn't seem to fair well with cracks. Even if you're not prone to accidents I'd still recommend putting something on it, or maybe I just have crappy luck

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I've had a tpu case on it for the last 3 weeks and at times it has gotten annoying but nothing I can't just dismiss. I took the case off today to clean the phone and now I don't want to put the case back on. It's so nice without it.

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
One if the best features of the phone is how thin and sleek it is. Always running it naked.

Exactly. I'm so happy that I don't have a case on mine. With the iPhone 4 you almost have to have at least a bumper case because of the stupid antenna issues. Sometimes I rocked the iPhone 4 naked, but then I had to be careful of which way I was holding it or I'd drop calls or lose all data connectivity. The GS4 is sleek and thin and feels great in your hand, I want to keep it that way. There also seems to be no loss of signal when holding it however I want.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I feel like if I'm gonna pay $10/month and $240 over the course of my contract I might as well enjoy the damn phone. Otherwise why spend as much as a new phone.

Prosty

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I take my case off if im just sitting at my pc and not doing anything, but if I go somewhere or while I'm sleeping(incase I knock it off) I put it on.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy SIV using Tapatalk 4

SlickSpur

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I do worry about the lense on the S4 though because it protrudes past the case. Time will tell and I guess if the lense gets scratched I'll whine and see if I can get a warranty replacement due to a poor design

Bingo. This is my biggest pet peeve, and the only reason I have a bumper case.

I had it naked this past weekend. My friend was playing with my phone, put it down on the wood table, and slid it over to me on on the back. My heart skipped a beat. I'm more worried about scratching the camera than I am the screen.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Bingo. This is my biggest pet peeve, and the only reason I have a bumper case.

I had it naked this past weekend. My friend was playing with my phone, put it down on the wood table, and slid it over to me on on the back. My heart skipped a beat. I'm more worried about scratching the camera than I am the screen.

Yup. Exactly. Belkin surround bumper case makes me happy.

uploadfromtaptalk1373469706838.jpg

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

Jleokum

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I go naked with my S4. I just really think the phone has a sexy appeal to it. I also got my insurance through best buy for 10 bucks a month that covers anything that could happen to the phone except lost or stolen. They offer this unlimited times. Get a scratch or nick and take it back for another one.

Posted via Android Central App

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Just out of curiosity would a tpu case from Verizon be okay left out in a hot car for a day? I left it in the center console out of direct sunlight. A friend wants to buy it from me

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred