New Verizon 5.0 lollipop Build Dropped today??

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Anyone try it out yet?
or should I say does anyone have the guts to accept it again ;)
Just kidding, I'm sure they got it right this time :p

To be fair systemofadown, my old granny with her zimmer frame could run better than Verizon's original Lollipop release!

As per my post, here...

"This latest build, if reports are true, is OC4 which is build # 4 of Mar: 2015 and is probably based on the Samsung OB7 build of 13th Feb: 2015 which introduced the Mute Button and Screen Pinning but has now been replaced by Samsung on their unbranded international, G900F, model with a very much higher changelist firmware of OC7 which corrects a lot of issues such as Wi-Fi, lag, notifications and battery drain, to name but a few.

Unfortunately, since it takes Verizon 6-8 weeks to heavily modify the Samsung Touchwiz firmware and add all their extra bloatware before bypassing Samsung and releasing direct to their customers, their firmwares will always be obsolete before release.

Having said that, unless Verizon have totally mucked it up in their modification and bloatware process, customers, "should" notice a big improvement on their original Verizon Lollipop firmware.... let's be honest... it couldn't be any worse... could it?

See, also, #1.6 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide"

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
UPDATE

There seems to be some confusion as to who is elgible for this latest Verizon update :-\

I trust that the report, here, turns out to be false. Otherwise, it would appear that this latest bugfix update is only available to Verizon customers that have NOT already updated to Verizon's version of Lollipop and that those who have, are being punished, even more, for updating...

"The latest roll-out will be applicable only to users of Verizon Galaxy S5 who have not been seeded the Lollipop update until now. Users who have installed the earlier Lollipop build will not be eligible to install the latest update."

I wonder if this means that if you revert back to the Verizon Android 4.4.4 release, see Verizon downgrade to KitKat - Dummies Guide, you will become eligible to receive this bugfix update??? :confused:

Last edited:

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE

There seems to be some confusion as to who is elgible for this latest Verizon update :-\

I trust that the report, here, turns out to be false. Otherwise, it would appear that this latest bugfix update is only available to Verizon customers that have NOT already updated to Verizon's version of Lollipop and that those who have, are being punished, even more, for updating...

"The latest roll-out will be applicable only to users of Verizon Galaxy S5 who have not been seeded the Lollipop update until now. Users who have installed the earlier Lollipop build will not be eligible to install the latest update."

I wonder if this means that if you revert back to the Verizon Android 4.4.4 release, see Verizon downgrade to KitKat - Dummies Guide, you will become eligible to receive this bugfix update??? :confused:

Now that really sucks!!!

Mal Lignant Tumor

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
And, perhaps, AT&T should be given a pat on the back for not releasing 5.xx until they get it stable on Galaxy S5? AT&T did release it for S3 and S4 (it has been reported).

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It would be very interesting to see how that pans out if they are truly skipping customers who had already downloaded lollipop, installed it and suffer through it...
I'm with you on your idea ironass, if you were to rivert back to 4.4.4 you should be pinged again for 5.0 :)

barry1964

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Good luck! Just read 5.0 and reeled in horror. In the UK they totally haven't sorted out the problems, they've just buried them deeper so they take a couple of days to rear their heads. Once there up and running nothing gets rid of them. Rebooting, even cleaning the cache partition doesn't cure anything. The only truly effective cure for Android 5.0 is a viable ROM, and Odin 3.09 ;-)

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Good luck! Just read 5.0 and reeled in horror. In the UK they totally haven't sorted out the problems, they've just buried them deeper so they take a couple of days to rear their heads. Once there up and running nothing gets rid of them. Rebooting, even cleaning the cache partition doesn't cure anything. The only truly effective cure for Android 5.0 is a viable ROM, and Odin 3.09 ;-)

I have to disagree with you there barry1964 !

The latest Samsung released firmware for unbranded U.K., G900F, released 16th March on build OC7, is the mutts nuts. With the highest changelist for any Lollipop release by Samsung, to-date, it is brilliant and much sought after. Perhaps you have an older, carrier branded, firmware.

Last edited:

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I still find it interesting that Sprint released 5.0 just a couple days after Verizon & its been Great in my humble opinion. No lag, battery drain or force closing/rebooting. Fast as ever. It got the carrier treatment from Sprint of course but Its still a Solid OS.
This is not 5.0.1 or 5.0.2 just 5.0 (build number OA6).
Clearly its the Carrier (Verizon in this case) that caused the troubles in their first 5.0 release. I can't wait to find out exactly how they created the prefect S5 storm that was the first attempt at 5.0...

barry1964

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I seriously doubt that I've somehow installed it incorrectly. It was the OTA, it installed flawlessly, and I wiped the cache partition anyway just for good measure. Yes, it has some cool features, no one's denying that, but it's also got some subtle and nasty recurring bugs, and of course the most important bug of them all. The sheer size of the thing. That might not be a problem if it wasn't for the massive amount of software that takes up most of the availible space. Personally I just don't think it's stable yet, it's better than it was, but it took me 3 days to downgrade my S5 back to 4.4.2, which is stable and has enough space for me to even run Lightroom for mobile...

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I still find it interesting that Sprint released 5.0 just a couple days after Verizon & its been Great in my humble opinion. No lag, battery drain or force closing/rebooting. Fast as ever. It got the carrier treatment from Sprint of course but Its still a Solid OS.
This is not 5.0.1 or 5.0.2 just 5.0 (build number OA6).
Clearly its the Carrier (Verizon in this case) that caused the troubles in their first 5.0 release. I can't wait to find out exactly how they created the prefect S5 storm that was the first attempt at 5.0...

Easy systemofadown

Verizon = firmware based on Lollipop changelist #3846539 and heavily modified and carrier branded by Verizon and released by them, direct to their customers.

Sprint = firmware based on Lollipop changelist #3859396 and modified and carrier branded in conjunction with Samsung and released via Samsung.

Here's a thought... perhaps Verizon should stick to doing what they do best and leave the firmware updates to Samsung. After all, the original Canadian releases that proved less than satisfactory, were replaced by Samsung in a matter of only 10 days.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Just to clarify the situation with Verizon's latest Lollipop release OC4 28th Mar:

It is only available to Verizon customers who have NOT previously received Verizon's own 2 stage Lollipop update, OA8 2nd Feb:

If you've had the OA8 update, reverting to KitKat and updating again will take you back to the OA8, 2nd Feb. build and NOT give you the latest OC4 28th Mar. release. See, here.

Verizon are aware of the ongoing issues with the OA8 2nd Feb. update and have withdrawn it from further release, (except to those who have already had it, see above).

Verizon have spent 52 days since the release of their 2 stage, OA8, 2nd Feb. update developing the latest release for those Verizon customers not yet on Verizon Lollipop in preference, it would seem, to fixing the problems they have caused to those who are already on their version of Lollipop.

Verizon have not given a firm update as to when or how, customers already on their earlier Lollipop, OA8, 2nd Feb. will get a bugfix update from them.

It would appear that something in the original, unique, Verizon 2 stage OA8 2nd Feb. update makes it incompatible with the latest Verizon, OC4 28th Mar. release and further modifications may need to be made by Verizon to OA8 to allow an update.

IMPORTANT

If a poster says they are on Lollipop with Verizon, it is now important to determine if it is the old Lollipop, OA8, firmware or the new Lollipop, OC4, firmware they are running, as there are major changes in the updated version with the potential to brick the phone with the wrong information.

Neither Google or Samsung are to blame for Verizon's own firmware versions as Verizon take the basic Samsung TouchWiz firmware and heavily modify it and add their, not inconsiderable, bloatware, before releasing it themselves and not via Samsung, directly to their customers. Therefore, any issues with Verizon's versions of Lollipop should be addressed directly to Verizon. As per #1.6 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide...

"These models are hybrid carrier minority variants. Whilst Samsung supply the handsets and the basic TouchWiz firmware details, these carriers then set about heavily adapting that stock firmware with more apps, (20+), to elicit extra revenue as well as Android system modifications, (locked bootloaders and forced firmware updates for instance), to Samsung's original TouchWiz firmware. Also, unlike all the preceding models, these phones are not updated through Samsung but modified and released directly by the carriers themselves. Therefore, any firmware issues on these models, should be addressed directly to the carrier and not Samsung. Whilst the carriers receive all the, "bugfix", updates from Samsung as other models, it is up to these individual carriers whether to spend the, not inconsiderable, time and money on incorporating all their modifications and releasing them. Consequently, these tend to receive far fewer, "bugfix", updates than most other models. You will also see issues that are only relevant to these models and not applicable to all phones."

Last edited:

fairtomiddlin

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
My VZW S5, which has been running the G900VVRU1BOA8 lollipop update since last month, is OTA downloading the new OC4 update as I type this. Mine was running fine with OA8. Let's hope OC4 doesn't screw it up!

fairtomiddlin

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
OTA update from OA8 to OC4 is now complete. Based on the info that ironass relayed above, it is odd that the update was available to me. I don't see anything new/different---EDIT--SCREEN PINNING IS PRESENT IN THIS BUILD. The interruptions mode/options don't seem to have changed from OA8. Obviously too soon to tell about performance.

Last edited:

DeerSteak

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
My wife's S5 got the previous Lollipop and I did a manual check for updates on hers - the new update is installing now. No need to have rejected the old Lollipop build to upgrade to the latest.

Really hope it fixes the "alarm doesn't go off if the phone is on Mute" issue.

Edit: WTF. I told it to reboot when it offered to, and it rebooted into manual mode recovery. Tried applying from cache (which it says is deprecated) and from external storage but I can't find the download. Rebooted to system and it says there was an error updating my device. Checked for an update again and it says software update is unavailable. So maybe there is an issue. Crap. F'ing Samsung.

Edit 2: on another attempt to check software update, it found the update and seems to have installed correctly. It's optimizing apps. Next stop: alarm checking.

Last edited:

fairtomiddlin

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Next stop: alarm checking.

As far as I can tell, OC4 handles alarms and mute/priority mode just like OA8 did--i.e. if you put the phone on mute, you will not hear any alarms. What's odd is that media sounds (like music player, etc.) do have audible sounds even when the phone is in mute mode.