Real Impressions from an Apple User - Returning the 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I own and ipad 2, Sgt 10.1, hp touch pad, and soon a nexus 7 and hopefully a transformer pad infinity 700. I love my ipad and Sgt 10.1 equally. Of course I'm an android fanboy but I have respect for the other os's as well

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bwad

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat here, and agree with pretty much all comments. My main use is email and web browsing, apps don't concern me too much but I agree there is a huge difference currently between iOS and Android apps.

The email clients are great. Much improved over ver 2/3 of Android. Chrome is letting me down I think, I love Android and coming from a honeycomb device that was horrid (Galaxy Tab 7.7), it's far superior. Chrome is no where as nice as Safari on the iPad though, I think google needs to step up from Project Butter and into Project KY. :)

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Google did this to themselves. I have had the feeling a lot of iOS and even android users are going to be disappointed with the browser on the Nexus 7. The performance of the browser is sub par, and the sad thing is the stock android browser in jellybean (just called android browser with the blue icon) is miles better. Its better than the iOS browser by a lot. Its fast, smooth, looks good, and instead Google replaced it with Chrome and it sucks because Chrome still feels very beta to me.

I don't like chrome at all. Its slower and less stable than the stock browser on my galaxy nexus. Its definitely not up to snuff compared to Safari, and struggles against Browser. Heck, the only thing its better than is Firefox.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

julesR

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I keep wondering why there are so many comparisons of the N7 to the ipad, not even in the same class. For the extra $$$, I would expect, no demand, the ipad to be smoother and faster in every way. Even at that, it's only a little smoother and a little faster. Yes, app development is behind the iworld, but I can live with that since the N7 does everything I need and then some. The nitty gritty of what brings me to the N7 are the 7" form factor, low price and customization options of android, none of which can be found on any idevice. Besides all that, Apple has lost my respect as a company with all their legal shenanigans. I will never buy another ianything.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1812dave

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I keep wondering why there are so many comparisons of the N7 to the ipad, not even in the same class. For the extra $$$, I would expect, no demand, the ipad to be smoother and faster in every way. Even at that, it's only a little smoother and a little faster. Yes, app development is behind the iworld, but I can live with that since the N7 does everything I need and then some. The nitty gritty of what brings me to the N7 are the 7" form factor, low price and customization options of android, none of which can be found on any idevice. Besides all that, Apple has lost my respect as a company with all their legal shenanigans. I will never buy another ianything.

Like I said, these issues are software related. This is the same software that is/will be running on more expensive android tablets. It absolutely fair to compare it to an iPad in this regard. Especially for those of us who were interested in the possibility of this replacing ios with android. I have already done it in the phone space, it just looks like I will br waiting a while until I would ever br able to do it with tablets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

fguills

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Disclaimer: I am an Apple fanboy who has owned every iPhone and iPad since their release.

Ok, so now that I have that out of the way, we can get on to the juicy stuff. I have been growing tired of the iOS devices and have been looking for an alternative to freshen things up. When I heard about the nexus 7, I thought I would try it and if I really liked it, I would pick up the Galaxy Nexus for $350 which is a great price. My thought was I could sell my iPad 3 and buy both these Google devices with the money I receive.

Before I completely took the plunge, I found a Nexus 7 at Sams club on the release date and figured I could test it out for awhile before I made my final decision.

My first impression was WOW, I love this thing. The hardware and software out of the box seemed very smooth and intuitive unlike Android the last time I tried it (the original Verizon Droid). I immediately thought that the 7inch form factor was leaps and bounds better than the iPad. After using it for about a week, I am still convinced I am right and apple will be forced to come out with an iPad mini.

Now unfortunately, I have still decided to return the Nexus and stick with my iPhone and iPad. I just couldn't get over two key areas where Android/Nexus 7 aren't up to par:

1. Apps: the quality of apps isn't even comparable to their iOS counter parts. Going from twitter on the Nexus to twitter on the iPad is night and day. This applies to the majority of apps that I tested. Until developers focus on tablet apps for Android, this will be a major rift.

2. Web Browsing: the iPad still feels much smoother when browsing the web. I did not like the feel of chrome although this may just be personal preference.

With all that said, I will still be recommending the Nexus 7 to friends and family who are looking for a good, cheap tablet. I don't think the Nexus can compete with the iPad directly but it will certainly grab a chunk of the market who doesn't want to spend $500 when they can get 3/4 of the way to the same experience with a Nexus 7.

Just my $.02.

When has Google say it was competing with the Ipad? People comparing the two. When Apple gets a freakin 7 inch tablet then you compare. I still can't figure out why all these apple fanboys get rid of there toys for androids devices!!! Must be that Apple sucks Monkey Dic$!!!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

BostonDan2

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I've become an Apple fanboy recently too. I never bought an Apple product in my life. In December, I got the Asus Transformer Prime and it was terrible. GPS response from Asus, poor wifi, screen bleed, and errors made me return the product. I then went out and purchased the Acer A200 as I wanted to stay with Android, but that was clunky to use. I sold that on Craigslist and then purchased the iPad 2. I may not be able to fully customize it, but the apps looked way better and things just worked. However, I am back reconsidering Android. I use Google Apps, like the idea of not buying Apple, and hope that Android will offer more Google Apps functionality over the iPad. I'm looking at the Nexus to use with my netbook when traveling, primarily for responding to emails with an external keyboard, calendar functionality, Evernote, Catch Notes, and Tapatalk. I'm not looking to get rid of my iPad as I like it for browsing when at home.
The only thing holding me back is the initial quality issues surrounding the screen. I'm not sure if the issue is getting resolved - people seem to be getting working units, but many are still exchanging their device several times to get a working unit. Thoughts????

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
When has Google say it was competing with the Ipad? People comparing the two. When Apple gets a freakin 7 inch tablet then you compare. I still can't figure out why all these apple fanboys get rid of there toys for androids devices!!! Must be that Apple sucks Monkey Dic$!!!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
For the last time, these issues have nothing do with the size of the tablet. It is a critique of a major issue with android's tablet OS. This just happens to be the first and cheapest device people can get with 4.1. So people curious about android will naturally give this tablet a shot. And if you dont think android is trying to compete with ios in the tablet market, you are delusional. Also, if you would actually read the post instead of getting butt-hurt about it, you could see that the opinion of the actual hardware and form was quite positive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I came from the opposite end. I ordered an iPad originally and could not get used to its large, clunky nature and feel. Returned it soon thereafter. Decided to try the Nexus 7, and almost everything about this tablet is superior to the iPad. It's lighter, smaller (and thus easier for me to take out in public). It has a quad core processor compared to iPad's dual core.

By the way....why is it every time Apple fanboys want to diss Android tablet apps, they mention Twitter? Especially since TweetCaster is a Twitter app that's as nice as anything available for the iPad.

Acint1924

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Interesting reading all the replies. Some extremely logical, some not so much.

My main point in the original post was that I wanted to try android since iOS was getting stale for me. It does not matter if google says this will compete directly with the iPad. As one poster said, anyone who is sick of the iOS and wants to try android should absolutely buy the Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 7.

These are great devices and you can see the immense progress android has made.

It still comes down to overall experience for each specific user though. While I absolutely loved the 7inch tablet and how light and portable it is, the apps and browser still have a long way to go in my eyes.

Hopefully in another year, I will be back saying google figured out chrome and developers are finally behind android tablets.

I will say, I already miss the widgets. Apple needs to get on that bandwagon!

Silken1987

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree with the app situation, not even on the same level as the Apple app store. But like another poster said, it all comes down to personal preference. I'm only going to be using the Nexus 7 as a commuting tabet , keeping my iPad as my main device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
This wasn't easy for me. I absolutely hate Apple and how confining iOS is with no accessible file system, no easy toggle widgets for things like wifi and Bluetooth, no changeable keyboards, etc. that said, I bought an iPad 3 simply because it is the best tablet experience.

I have a Galaxy Nexus phone and was looking forward to this tablet. Used it for a solid week. I was happy for the most part, but couldn't shake the underwhelmed feeling I had about the Nexus 7. The screen isn't impressive at all, and color saturation is very flat. The size is nice for weight and hand-holding, but web browsing is clunky at best. I have a flickering screen at auto-brightness that I initially forgave, but now bugs the crap out of me. And let's face it... there aren't enough tablet apps on Android. Facebook, terrible. Words With Friends, even worse.

My happiness started to fade toward the end of the week, and then I went back to the iPad. What a difference. Like going from a Motel 6 to The Ritz. The iPad's limitations bug me, but the thing is elegant hardware. I had missed some of my favorite apps not available on Android like Euchre 3d and many others... yes, even Tapatalk HD. I missed not being able to effortlessly import and edit photos with the camera connection kit... no way I have found to transport pics from my dslr to the Nexus 7 directly. The magnetic cover that folds nicely under was also missed.

I'll go back and forth a bit, but the Nexus is now losing badly to the iPad, even though I would love to dump it for something better. The Transformer Prime lost the same battle with me, so I'm not sure why my hopes were high for the Nexus 7.

It's a good device for what it is. Just not enough to get me to sell my iPad, and (most of all) not enough of a difference from my Galaxy Nexus phone that I actually prefer using to the small tablet with few advantages.

-- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
To the OP, are you basing your decision to return on the stock apps or did you try using 3rd party apps for browsing and Twitter? The beauty of Android is the insane amount of choice and customization. If Chrome doesn't work for you, try Firefox, Opera, Skyfire, Dolphin, etc. I'm sure iOS has plenty of Twitter apps, so does Android. TweetCaster, Twicca, Plume, Seesmic, etc.

If you're really feeling that iOS is getting stale for you, try out different apps and combinations before you return your unit. And since the N7 & Jelly Bean were both just released, it will take a few weeks for developers to upgrade their apps. Since I believe Sam's has a 90-day return policy, keeping the device for a few more weeks may turn up a significantly different experience. Just imo

Guineaa

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
This wasn't easy for me. I absolutely hate Apple and how confining iOS is with no accessible file system, no easy toggle widgets for things like wifi and Bluetooth, no changeable keyboards, etc. that said, I bought an iPad 3 simply because it is the best tablet experience.

I have a Galaxy Nexus phone and was looking forward to this tablet. Used it for a solid week. I was happy for the most part, but couldn't shake the underwhelmed feeling I had about the Nexus 7. The screen isn't impressive at all, and color saturation is very flat. The size is nice for weight and hand-holding, but web browsing is clunky at best. I have a flickering screen at auto-brightness that I initially forgave, but now bugs the crap out of me. And let's face it... there aren't enough tablet apps on Android. Facebook, terrible. Words With Friends, even worse.

My happiness started to fade toward the end of the week, and then I went back to the iPad. What a difference. Like going from a Motel 6 to The Ritz. The iPad's limitations bug me, but the thing is elegant hardware. I had missed some of my favorite apps not available on Android like Euchre 3d and many others... yes, even Tapatalk HD. I missed not being able to effortlessly import and edit photos with the camera connection kit... no way I have found to transport pics from my dslr to the Nexus 7 directly. The magnetic cover that folds nicely under was also missed.

I'll go back and forth a bit, but the Nexus is now losing badly to the iPad, even though I would love to dump it for something better. The Transformer Prime lost the same battle with me, so I'm not sure why my hopes were high for the Nexus 7.

It's a good device for what it is. Just not enough to get me to sell my iPad, and (most of all) not enough of a difference from my Galaxy Nexus phone that I actually prefer using to the small tablet with few advantages.

+100

I'm just like you, in fact I've always been a PC guy and viscerally hated apple since before OS X. But after using the Nexus and then going back to the iPad it really is a big difference in terms of hardware quality. So much that it makes my dislike of ios tolerable now when just last week I was so excited about leaving ios. There's a lot of angst in this forum whenever someone compliments Apple for something, but it really blows my mind that years after the first iPhone other manufacturers still don't really understand that external hardware quality matters to consumers.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
+100

I'm just like you, in fact I've always been a PC guy and viscerally hated apple since before OS X. But after using the Nexus and then going back to the iPad it really is a big difference in terms of hardware quality. So much that it makes my dislike of ios tolerable now when just last week I was so excited about leaving ios. There's a lot of angst in this forum whenever someone compliments Apple for something, but it really blows my mind that years after the first iPhone other manufacturers still don't really understand that external hardware quality matters to consumers.

If there is anything that Android hardware manufacturers can "take" from Apple, I would hope it would be this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
What I find disturbing is people's reports that scrolling etc on the Nexus 7 is still not as smooth as iPad. How is this possible? JellyBean and Project Butter was supposed to be the last word in smoothness in the OS. Even ICS should have been as smooth.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
What I find disturbing is people's reports that scrolling etc on the Nexus 7 is still not as smooth as iPad. How is this possible? JellyBean and Project Butter was supposed to be the last word in smoothness in the OS. Even ICS should have been as smooth.

Good question. It's insanely smooth on my phone, and for all intents and purposes, the N7 has a better processor/hardware.

Reactions: Johnly

tqmcguire

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
As a fan of Apple devices, and having owned every iPhone and iPad made, I can say, for me, Android is almost there. As an OS I have no complaints. Gingerbread and earlier I just couldn't stand to use but since ICS and especially now with JB I'm completely satisfied.

I gave my wife my iPad 3 when my Nexus 7 arrived. I'm that confident in Android. This tablet is a great device. It's rock-solid and fast. It's an absolute joy to hold. I wish the trim was real metal because I worry the silver is paint and will wear off. That said, it's a $250 tablet and what they've accomplished here is nothing short of amazing. No, the display isn't as good as the iPad but I've come to grips with that. I love this Nexus 7 and I love my HTC One X. These two devices have totally turned me around in my view of Android. I don't miss my iPhone 4S much and that's an accomplishment.

What's missing for me are more tablet-optimized apps. Someone earlier asked why iOS fanboys always mention Twitter. It's because Twitter apps on iOS are beautiful and functional and everyone uses Twitter a lot. TweetCaster is fine but doesn't compare to Tweetbot on iPad. It serves its purpose but it has room for improvement. Facebook also needs a better tablet app. I also miss Appigo's Todo app but Tasks works perfectly fine for me and looks good. I guess I'm used to the skeuomorphism prevalent in iOS apps and I miss that when it's done well.

In summary, I still like iOS and all the iOS devices. I've recommended them to everyone but now I have more reason to recommend these new Android devices as well. Great job, Google and ASUS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
There's a lot of angst in this forum whenever someone compliments Apple for something, but it really blows my mind that years after the first iPhone other manufacturers still don't really understand that external hardware quality matters to consumers.

What bothers me most is how far away the hardware still is. Nothing is close to the iPad hardware elegance and it really matters a lot. I know this one is only $200 or $250, so it can be forgiven, I guess. Plenty of phones are now better than the iPhone.

Someday, but not yet, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz