[ROM] Epic CM7 SELFKANG (10/11) - 2.3.7

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Lots of excitement on the CM7 front. The latest 12/13 build has E911 fixed, which was our major hurdle towards an official CM7 build, and also, a public safety concern, so if anyone is using a previous build, it's recommended you update to 12/13. It is a YAFFS2 filesystem, so information from my previous post and QBKing's video still applies.

Also, there's this: http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&drKey=1359&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.xda-developers.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D1299621%26page%3D373&v=1&libid=1323862458845&out=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FEpicCM%2Fandroid_vendor_cyanogen%2Fcommit%2Fa4a51332104bcf35a409445055465bf38ee01cc9&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.xda-developers.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D1299621%26page%3D374&title=%5BROM%5D%20Epicmtd%20CM7%20SELFKANG%20(12%2F13)%20-%202.3.7%20%5BNOW%20WITH%20MORE%20E911%5D%20-%20Page%20373%20-%20xda-developers&txt=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FEpicCM%2Fandroid_ve...465bf38ee01cc9&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13238624686921 which is a preliminary request to make us official now that most of the issues are fixed. At least, there's progress :) Huge props go to Decad3nce and the rest of the Epic CM team.

The current buglist:
Outbound calls initiated from a bluetooth handsfree kit do not wake the phone
Charging notification LED does not light until full charge is reached
WiFi is unstable
Overlay for Video Recording
Video playback for certain encoders
Wimax (and this will probably never be fixed)

Reactions: nickel3956

GSF1200S

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Besides bricking my phone (or something in the process bricking my phone), i like CyanogenMod alot. Is there any plans to eventually be able to modify vibration intensity? I couldnt take how powerful the Epic vibrates, so I attempted to restore back to a Nandroid backup.

Love the lockscreen gestures, theme, swipe-remove notifications, etc though. CyanogenMod is pretty nice..

**EDIT** I take note of the disclaimers saying that this rom isnt responsible for bricked phones ;) Prolly a one-in-a-billion failure when attempting to restore..

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
No, still no way to change vibration intensity. Don't think it's a priority, though it is odd that it's not an option. Never noticed until you pointed it out. Personally, I like more rather than less vibration, cause when my phone's chilling in my pocket, I tend to not feel it vibrate.

nickel3956

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
No, still no way to change vibration intensity. Don't think it's a priority, though it is odd that it's not an option. Never noticed until you pointed it out. Personally, I like more rather than less vibration, cause when my phone's chilling in my pocket, I tend to not feel it vibrate.

I'm pretty sure you can adjust the vibration intensity:
Settings>CyanogenMod Settings>Input>Haptic feedback tweaks
and just change the Up or Down pattern

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
New day, new "nightly". Lol. K, so it's not officially a nightly, but, we have been getting updates almost every day this week. CM7 EpicKANG MTD 12/17

This one appears to stabilize Wifi and improve video performance, though it's still too early to tell how accurate that statement is.

Again, all props go to Decad3nce and the rest of the CM7 crew.

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
New day, new "nightly". Lol. K, so it's not officially a nightly, but, we have been getting updates almost every day this week. CM7 EpicKANG MTD 12/17

This one appears to stabilize Wifi and improve video performance, though it's still too early to tell how accurate that statement is.

Again, all props go to Decad3nce and the rest of the CM7 crew.

Thanks for the update. Is CM7 stable enough to use as a daily driver? Just asking since it is a bit more involved to change back from CM7 to a non MTD ROM.

nickel3956

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the update. Is CM7 stable enough to use as a daily driver? Just asking since it is a bit more involved to change back from CM7 to a non MTD ROM.

I use it as a daily driver and I think it's fine. Wifi hasn't actually been that unstable

nickel3956

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this is a bug or not, but whenever someone hangs up during a call before I can end it, I get a little popup saying "The call has been lost". I don't really like seeing this and I would rather just have the end call screen show

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this is a bug or not, but whenever someone hangs up during a call before I can end it, I get a little popup saying "The call has been lost". I don't really like seeing this and I would rather just have the end call screen show

Hmm, I'm not in the US right now, so I can't make calls to try and replicate this, but I haven't seen anyone complain about this problem in the official CM7 forum on XDA. If you're running a recent version, you may want to try posting your question there, but it sounds like a bad flash or a problem that has been fixed in a more recent release, so re-flashing an updated version of the ROM should fix it.

nickel3956

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I'm not in the US right now, so I can't make calls to try and replicate this, but I haven't seen anyone complain about this problem in the official CM7 forum on XDA. If you're running a recent version, you may want to try posting your question there, but it sounds like a bad flash or a problem that has been fixed in a more recent release, so re-flashing an updated version of the ROM should fix it.

I may just be picky. I don't think it is a bad flash, because I've noticed it basically since I started using CM7. I'm using the 12/19 build. I'll ask around XDA

CptDanger88

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
First off, I just want to say how much I love this ROM, and how it's made me love my phone again. I was on the verge of paying the upgrade fee to get the E4GTSGS2, then I saw this. I've noticed only a few bugs, but like someone mentioned, they are small enough to not get in the way of my everyday use.

? Obviously, no 4g. However, I only use my 4g when my 3g is being unreliable, which isn't often, so I don't even notice it's missing.
? Again, it's already been mentioned, but I couldn't record a video earlier. I guess that's fixed with the next update, which I have a question about, but we'll get to that later.
? No charging LED, but it's not a big deal, since I charge it while I sleep anyways, so one less light is kinda a blessing in disguise.
? One of the more annoying glitches, it seems like when I send a text message that's longer than 2 messages long, my message flips out, and sends something no readable by anyone. (Check Screenshot)
? Someone mentioned a "call dropped" popup after ending a call. Felt like noting that that happened to me once, I think on the first phone call I made. Hasn't done it since though

Otherwise, no issues with Wifi, 3G, or anything really.

My question about upgrading to 12/21. I don't flash new ROM's often, so I was wondering the best method is to backing up all of the stuff that I usually have to do over and over again. I hear that Titanium Backup is preferred, but how exactly do I use it?

jmuru

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
First off, I just want to say how much I love this ROM, and how it's made me love my phone again. I was on the verge of paying the upgrade fee to get the E4GTSGS2, then I saw this. I've noticed only a few bugs, but like someone mentioned, they are small enough to not get in the way of my everyday use.

? Obviously, no 4g. However, I only use my 4g when my 3g is being unreliable, which isn't often, so I don't even notice it's missing.
? Again, it's already been mentioned, but I couldn't record a video earlier. I guess that's fixed with the next update, which I have a question about, but we'll get to that later.
? No charging LED, but it's not a big deal, since I charge it while I sleep anyways, so one less light is kinda a blessing in disguise.
? One of the more annoying glitches, it seems like when I send a text message that's longer than 2 messages long, my message flips out, and sends something no readable by anyone. (Check Screenshot)
? Someone mentioned a "call dropped" popup after ending a call. Felt like noting that that happened to me once, I think on the first phone call I made. Hasn't done it since though

Otherwise, no issues with Wifi, 3G, or anything really.

My question about upgrading to 12/21. I don't flash new ROM's often, so I was wondering the best method is to backing up all of the stuff that I usually have to do over and over again. I hear that Titanium Backup is preferred, but how exactly do I use it?

If you're already on an MTD version of this ROM (anything after the 12/14 version, I believe), it shouldn't wipe your data when upgrading to 12/21 or 12/23, which was just released (I'd hold off on that one though, cause it seems to have a few unverified problems). Of course, you should probably back up your data to be safe, cause even non-wiping updates aren't 100%. You could either do a Nandroid backup, or use Titanium backup or Mybackup root. If you're not very familiar with the process, I'd recommend MyBackup root cause it's a lot easier to use, but if you're more advanced, Titanium's the way to go cause it gives you more options, etc...

The messaging issue you have is a known issue. Most people get around it by using GoSMS from the market, or there's an option in the stock messaging app that says split long messages or something similar that is supposed to fix it.

fviewer

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
After installing CM7, I tried to use Clockwork recovery to install the google apps. It froze about 15% through unpacking (screen shows a box with an arrow coming out, with an android standing next to it). Now anytime I try to do anything in clockwork recovery it returns to this screen at 15%. Tried reflashing recovery, installing other roms, selecting reboot to recovery, but always goes back to the same screen. Any suggestions what to do next? :-\

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332