Rooting as I type

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Complete! I now have a recovery! Whew.

Good. Im glad you got it pounded out. Thought about a rom yet? I'm on beanstock R2. Simple stock rom. Debloated. Wifi notification gone with wifi toggle in notification toggles.

S3nt from GalaxyS3

Last edited:

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
There are also unofficial cm9 and cm10 builds there too. I haven't really felt the need to try them out yet. I'd rather wait until they went official. Some have problems after a flash and some don't. Thats why you create a nandroid backup before flashing a new rom. You've always got that backup ready to fire up

S3nt from GalaxyS3

sayheysarah

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Thanks so much. Boyfriend is downloading movies right now so I'll flash this over when I get home from work! Very excited.

Sent from my VZW GSIII

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks so much. Boyfriend is downloading movies right now so I'll flash this over when I get home from work! Very excited.

Sent from my VZW GSIII

Yeah. No prob. There's a lot of other mods you can do as well. If you wanna know what they are,how to do them,and where to find them. Let me know. Paying it forward is awesome.

S3nt from GalaxyS3

sayheysarah

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Do it manually in recovery, for doing it Rom Manager is always a bit unnerving.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Do I do this by clicking the option for installing from zip from sd card? In the same thing where I did my back up a few steps ago?

sayheysarah

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Nevermind, I got my big girl pants on and did it. Whew!! Installed my first rom ever! Loved the ending, "f you verizon"

Now time to explore once my phone boots back up!

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Do I do this by clicking the option for installing from zip from sd card? In the same thing where I did my back up a few steps ago?

Exactly. Install zip from SD. Then navigate to your download folder. You have to make sure you wipe data and cache first. Create a nandroid first though.

S3nt from GalaxyS3

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Make sure to do your wipes! Data/factory reset, dalvik cache (under advanced in the menu), and system (mounts and storage then format system.

Then be sure to install the zip and if gapps are required, that zip immediately after.

Then reboot system.

Reactions: sicario666

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Was I supposed to wipe before I did the install from the zip? My phone booted up and seems to be fine. Is it okay to wipe now?

If it booted up fine you might have gotten pretty lucky. But yes, every time you flash a rom you wipe everything, with some exceptions.

sayheysarah

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Oh goodness. Whew. As you can tell, I'm still a noob at android stuffs. It is working so far. Would it be better to wipe my phone then redo the install?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Oh goodness. Whew. As you can tell, I'm still a noob at android stuffs. It is working so far. Would it be better to wipe my phone then redo the install?

If you want. You'll have to download your apps and such. That's what happens in a factory reset, essentially.

sayheysarah

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Another question, I may end up doing that, it's fun to start from scratch.

But my question was, I thought there were custom toggles? Is this because I did not wipe?