samsung pay

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Not necessarily. If you use Quick Pay, you don't have to unlock your phone to access the cards. .
Do you mean Samsung's "Simple Pay"?
FWIW, I've given up on Samsung Pay and Android Pay. Mainly because there is too much variation in what the various terminals will accept.
It's easier just to whip out the cc and insert or slide it. They all work with the plastic.
Also, I had set up Samsung Pay, then set up Android Pay as the default. The first time I tried Android Pay, I could feel the phone vibrating as if it was using Samsung Pay (MST), and nothing worked.
As I mentioned previously, I like Walmart Pay, of course it only works at Walmart. I had read that it was very successful and installed at all Wallmarts, But the last two times I used it, it seemed that I was the cashier's first customer who tried it. One cashier had to call the manager to find out which key to press to finish the transaction, and another cashier kept insisting that I swipe my credit card even though I repeatedly told him that I was using Walmart Pay.
Too many inconsistencies to use the smartphone as a replacement for the credit card at this time. Have to carry the cc anyway, might as well use it as save some phone battery.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Simple Pay works from a locked phone as long as you've set up the SP app's defaults to include that method. Works fine. As far as the complaints from TWC42, I find that waiting for my plastic CC with an embedded chip to be processed is slower than holding my phone to the terminal using SP. I look forward to the day when every terminal on the planet can take SP.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
That dumb chip is excruciatingly slow! Surely that will improve in time. I can pay with Samsung pay in a quarter of the time is it takes to process a chip card. But I'm now finding my nearly 100% Samsung pay transactions to be 50% successful at best.

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Using Samsung Pay whenever I can and having a 99% success rate. In fact, I can't remember the last time I tried to use it and it did not go through. Even the grocery store clerk commented last week on how fast the transaction had gone through.

My only complaint....no Discover Card, but that is not Samsung's fault! Discover, are you listening?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
For me, SP works most everywhere and it often works at stores where the clerks are shocked that it works. I'm going to presume that is because many others have tried and failed with Apple Pay or Android Pay, at those stores?

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
...... I find that waiting for my plastic CC with an embedded chip to be processed is slower than holding my phone to the terminal using SP. .....
When it works, it's great. When it doesn't, it's very frustrating. But those 15 seconds one saves using SP over a cc with a chip can be critical in a busy day.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Based on what you are saying, if my bank hasn't adopted or sent out chip cards yet, then I can't shop at these places since I use credit and don't have a chip card.
If your bank hasn't sent out chipped cards yet, you may want to re-think using them. There is no doubt that chips are more secure than the magnetic card. And, it's not like the bank found out about this last month. So, I have to wonder about their security practices.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
. I dis-like using the chip procedure. It takes entirely too long. Can you imagine how slow lines would move if everyone had to use a chipped card.
Actually, I've been in plenty of stores that use only chipped cards. It hasn't made that much of a difference. Possibly, because the signature piece takes so long anyway. Maybe that's why the CC kept the signature instead of moving to PINs, which are much more secure.

Again, this is a very specific requirement (a stupid one, if you ask me) from Lowe's and Home Depot. Yes, they have a chip+swipe terminal, BUT their system will force using the chip if it's a credit card. The swipe portion will only work with debit cards. That's THEIR SYSTEM, their requirement, not a limitation of chip credit cards or the terminals or Samsung Pay.
A lot of companies are going in that direction. Chip cards are more secure, and the don't want to be stuck with the cost of CC fraud. If they force the chip, the banks take some of the risk.

Last edited by a moderator:

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
McDonalds and Target are two stores that process SP in under 3 seconds. Even a one-off bakery has a small terminal that processes that fast. Love it!

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I just found out that both of my Capital One cards are now supposed to be supported in Samsung Pay. I tried adding both of them and when I go to activate the card using Capital One wallet, the app says the cards are not supported, yet the website says they are. They are both chip cards.

My cards are the platinum and quicksilver. Has anyone had any luck in getting these to work?

lynstks

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
The only places I have found where Samsung Pay did not work were chip terminals. Don't know if that's a coincidence or not.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The only places I have found where Samsung Pay did not work were chip terminals. Don't know if that's a coincidence or not.
I really want to try this at King Soopers this weekend but their terminal is a chip one. My banks debit cards are chip Mastercards so I wonder if they will work. When I use one of these cards because it's a MC, I always have to enter my pin.

Kjthomas0724

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I really want to try this at King Soopers this weekend but their terminal is a chip one. My banks debit cards are chip Mastercards so I wonder if they will work. When I use one of these cards because it's a MC, I always have to enter my pin.

I have used it at places like Walmart that have me insert my card with a chip. Samsung pay works much faster

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I just found out that both of my Capital One cards are now supposed to be supported in Samsung Pay. I tried adding both of them and when I go to activate the card using Capital One wallet, the app says the cards are not supported, yet the website says they are. They are both chip cards.

My cards are the platinum and quicksilver. Has anyone had any luck in getting these to work?

I'm not sure what my Capitol One card is. It used to be Quicksliver but when they sent the stupid chipped card, it just says "Rewards". I've had mixed results and issues where I've had to call Cap One because it appeared to NOT work but I'd get an email saying I just made a purchase. This was a problem because I used my debit card (swiped it) after the Cap One card didn't work. That happened twice. Once it really didn't work and once it worked...it has become confusing and time consuming (holding up the line) so I don't try to use it anymore. I tried several times a couple days ago and mostly got "card reader" errors.

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Pay works fine at chip terminals. Whoever started that rumor is badly misinformed. Clerks will even comment how much faster Samsung Pay is.

The only chip terminals that won't work with Samsung Pay are at Lowe's where they've purposely disabled them, as documented in another thread.

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Don't know if Walmart is trying to force Walmart Pay, or what, but users in several threads have reported problems. I've had mixed results, some Walmarts Samsung Pay works fine, others get "Card Read Error". I've reported it to local Walmart managers but I think the IT department in Bentonville, AR is in charge.

wgs84

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Pay works fine at chip terminals. Whoever started that rumor is badly misinformed. Clerks will even comment how much faster Samsung Pay is.

The only chip terminals that won't work with Samsung Pay are at Lowe's where they've purposely disabled them, as documented in another thread.

Yeah, I just tried using Samsung Pay at my local Safeway, and they just upgraded all of their payment terminals to accept the chip cards. Samsung Pay still works there. And it works at Target too, where they've upgraded their payment terminals to chip terminals. Thank god too. I really love using Samsung Pay.

I'm pretty sure there are some chip card payment terminals that Samsung Pay won't work on, but the claim that SP doesn't work at all on them is false.

likwidkool

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I've used Samsung pay at plenty of chip terminals. I manage a GameStop that went chip and I use Samsung pay all the time as do my customers.