samsung pay

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
My debit card has a chip. Does that mean it will require me to insert it? Or just credit cards?

From what they told me they're only enforcing chip for credit cards. I've used Samsung Pay with debit card in both stores and it works. It's only credit cards that prompt the use of the chip. I can't speak for the physical debit card, though... It might prompt you for a chip, I don't know. But at least debit does work on those two stores because they're still allowing 'swipe' for debit.

sctbc2

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
My debit card has a chip. Does that mean it will require me to insert it? Or just credit cards?

I don't know about debit cards but I have a Citi chip credit card on my phone (Samsung pay).
I've used it at Whole Foods, Smith's groceries, and Target.
No issues.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about debit cards but I have a Citi chip credit card on my phone (Samsung pay).
I've used it at Whole Foods, Smith's groceries, and Target.
No issues.

Yup, and it shouldn't be a problem since the 'virtual card' loaded onto Samsung Pay is completely independent from your actual card having a chip. Problem is that, at least that I know of, these two particular stores (Lowe's and Home Depot) are forcing the use of a chip card when your payment method is credit. That's their own payment system enforcing this, not your card, not a limitation on Samsung Pay, not the bank... the stores. And, of course, stores with a standard payment system shouldn't have this issue and as long as you can swipe your card or use NFC payments, Samsung Pay should work, credit or debit.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
So I was in WM last night. SP has always worked there but it didn't this time. Tried 3 times. Cashier asked if the card was a chipped one. I said yes. She said that was the problem. Looks like SP isn't going to be less and less useful as time goes on :( Fun while it lasted tho. Used it to pay $5600 for foundation repair last month. This particular card gives me 1% when I make a charge and 1% when I pay it off. Paid it off the day after I made the charge. Last month's cash reward was $121 :) Using my card to make purchases was a whole lot faster than the chip method.

jshaw42

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Not all Lowe's have 'updated' their system yet, but it's coming. You'll see it, they actually put up signs on their terminals saying 'Credit? Insert chip. Debit? Swipe card."
I get it for the Credit vs Debit issue. But, that does not disallow one using Samsung Pay. At least not around here.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I get it for the Credit vs Debit issue. But, that does not disallow one using Samsung Pay. At least not around here.

Once they update their system, it will. Again, it's their system forcing the use of chip for credit cards. Even if you don't use Samsung Pay, if your credit card is still 'old' and doesn't have a chip, it won't work on their new system because of their own limitation, not because the bank is blocking it or because the card isn't valid.

Once this goes into effect, since Samsung Pay obviously doesn't work with as a chip card, the only way you can use it is if you pay with debit cards in SP.

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

I have had the same issue. Not in a Lowes store though, where I put my phone up for an MST transaction and was asked to insert my card for the chip to be read.
But I have also had times for instance where my MST transaction just comes back as a "card read error" after multiple trys. That was at a BJ's Wholesale club. I rarely ever turn on the NFC on my phone so I can't speak for how those go.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
It hasn't worked at Walmart the last half-dozen times I've tried. Used to always work at Walmart. Worked at Ulta yesterday. Capital One is now on the list of accepted cards. Going to try that one.

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
One of Apple Pay's dirty little secrets is a transaction fee. I read somewhere it was 20 cents per transaction. Many merchants do not want the extra cost. Samsung Pay does not have that, the merchant only pays standard swipe fees plus percentage.

anon(8453378)

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I have had the same issue. Not in a Lowes store though, where I put my phone up for an MST transaction and was asked to insert my card for the chip to be read.
But I have also had times for instance where my MST transaction just comes back as a "card read error" after multiple trys. That was at a BJ's Wholesale club. I rarely ever turn on the NFC on my phone so I can't speak for how those go.
Slightly off topic, but you actually don't have to turn on NFC. It will be turned on automatically and then will turn off after you are finished. If you pull down the notification shade, you will see the NFC toggle on during the use of SP.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Look into Walmart Pay. That's my favorite way to use my phone to make a payment, wish it would be universally adopted.

If my small town bank ever gets on board the tech train, I may. I liked using my Citi card because I got 2% back. I would make the charge and then immediately transfer the money to Citi from my checking acct.

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Actually, more secure. Only tokens are exchanged so your card number never gets passed along. That makes those pirate reading devices almost worthless. Plus, you need your thumbprint twice, once to get in the phone, another to use the card.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Actually, more secure. Only tokens are exchanged so your card number never gets passed along. That makes those pirate reading devices almost worthless. Plus, you need your thumbprint twice, once to get in the phone, another to use the card.

Not necessarily. If you use Quick Pay, you don't have to unlock your phone to access the cards. You do need your fingerprint to actually pay, though, and you don't see any kind of card information in Quick Pay.

As for the security, yup, this is way more secure than a normal credit card. Each time a transaction is made, the card's token is passed on to the merchant, and since said token is only valid for that specific transaction, even if the merchant has a breach (Target, anyone?), hackers wouldn't be able to do much with your info because the token has expired.