Samsung Tab 3 won't switch on..?!

Monica Alves

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem. I got my first Samsung tab 3 in april 2014 and in june started blacking out. the battery was half way and it would just switch off. I couldn't for the life of me turn it back on. I've tried different chargers, different sockets, but I've never tried to leave it pluged to the computer. after a couple of days it would eventually turn back on when I pressed the on button. Until one day it went dead again and I lost it. I took it back to ASDA where I bought it and they gave me a new one. this was in October and today it black out again with full battery. the guy in asda was quit helpful and told that sometime, even with the automatic updates, the tablets do this things because it "forgets" to update. so he told me to just connect it to the computer and wait. it would eventually turn back on. I tried it today and it worked. after 5 min it came back to life when I pressed the power button. Initially was showing the battery empty and after 1 second it was full. this worked for me and I hope it will help others. If it keeps happening again I will take it back and ask for a different model.

mblporter

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I got my Android Tablet 3 for Christmas last year. It was still under warrenty and I could not get it to turn on. Sent it back to Samsung 4 times each time they sent it back saying could find nothing wring now I'm left with a non working out of warranty tablet. Have Samsung phone but think I'm going to change next go round. Samsung customer no service stinks. It seems they have a fairly common problem they are not addressing. Apple next time

omshh1

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I realize this is an older thread but assuming some people might still be experiencing problems, I'd like to post a few paragraphs from the Samsung User Manual for the Galaxy Tab3 7.0. This will likely apply to other Samsung Tablets. In fact, this may -to some degree- apply to any device that is powered with a Li-Ion battery (and I will explain a little about this in a bit).

From the manual:

Battery
Your device is powered by a rechargeable, standard Li-Ion battery. A Wall/USB Charger (Charging Head and USB cable) are included with the device for charging the battery.​

Warning! Use only approved charging devices. Approved accessories are designed to maximize battery life. Using other accessories may invalidate your warranty and may cause damage.

Battery Indicator
The Battery icon in the Status Bar shows the battery power level. When battery power is 15% or less, your device prompts you to charge the battery. If you continue to operate the device without charging, the device powers off.​

Note: The battery comes partially charged. You must fully charge the battery before using your device for the first time. After the first charge, you can use the device while charging.​

Note: You cannot charge the battery using the USB cable and your PC.​

And lastly:

Note: If the battery is completely discharged, you cannot turn on the device, even with the USB power adapter connected. Allow a depleted battery to charge for a few minutes before you try to turn on the device.​

I realize most of these warnings say "cannot" (example: "you cannot charge the battery using the USB cable and your PC") and yet some people have posted that they could. Well, this -to me- implies that it means you should not because it will likely affect your battery life or its charging cycle.

Now, a little about Li-Ion batteries... These were considered to be God sent invention in comparison to Ni-Cad batteries... (i.e. the batteries that developed a memory where to avoid a battery short life, one had to fully discharge the battery before recharging it, and when recharging the battery, one had to fully charge it before unplugging it).

Well, it seems that Li-Ion batteries have their own quirky little requirement. This comes by way of a protection circuit that built into each Li-Ion battery and is supposed to serve a dual purpose. One, stop the battery from getting over-charged (otherwise it might swell up, heat up and/or even explode), and two, it is supposed to protect the battery from getting under-charged (meaning depleted below a certain level.

It seems for most mobile devices that operate at or around the 5 volt level, the included Li-Ion battery has its optimum level of performance at the voltage level of 4.2 volts, which it seems to maintain for the majority of the discharge cycle and until it gets to about 15 to 20%. When it hits that level, it actually drops drastically towards the 3.0 volt range. The 3.0 voltage range is the low critical level because it is where that battery's protection circuit actually will shut it down, and hence the reason why plugging it back in might or might not get the recharge cycle to start up again.

The quirky part is that the circuit is designed to keep the battery recharge cycle in the off state as long as the voltage level is under 3.0 volts, UNLESS, the battery was designed to reset that on/off switch by way of some sort of signal. And the signal that is required in most these cases is the design voltage and current (i.e. the amount of power supplied to the charging circuit) as designed provided for by the manufacturer who matched that battery with the device as well as with the device charger it included with it.

So look on the original charger that came with your tablet... Read the output rating in Volts and Amps. And since "Power (in Watts) = Voltage X Current" and since in my case, I see "5 Volts & 2.0 Amps", then you need to supply that tablet with (5 Volts X 2.0 Amps =) 10 Watts of power for it to start recharging. It should be noted that small fluctuations in voltage and/or current are allowable as long as the final power output is equal to approximately 10.0 Watts (and the level of tolerance as to how close to 10.0 watts it must be is part of the design which is dictated by the manufacturer). Meaning (as an example) 4.8 Volts at 2.1 Amps (which equals 10.08 Watts should still be OK.

But it should also be noted that different cables might have a different resistance rating and as such, using the OEM cable that has been optimized for this purpose by the device manufacturer will likely serve you best. Otherwise, your best bet will have to be measuring voltage and current at the mini USB end of the cable which -due to its size- might prove to be quite a challenge!

This is not likely to provide a way to resolve everyone's problem, but understanding the basic may in fact prevent you having to go through the same ordeal if you happen to be lucky enough to get your device to start back up and get recharged.

Zudnic

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks much. This was exactly my problem. Great video at: s

howing how to take apart the Tab 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks much. This was exactly my problem. Great video at: ... showing how to take apart the Tab 3.
this is the answer. The connection, on Tab 3 7" at least, is NOT sauldered. Don't be afraid to take the back off. Watch the 1st minute of the video Jay posted which will show you how to remove the cover and reseat the battery connection. It's a 10 minute fix that anyone can do.

(Sorry can't post the link to the video due to low post count restrictions, but scroll up to Jay's post.)

Colm

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Come on! Just because you are the only one, out of almost everybody else, don't defend this terrible problem with these tablets (both tab 2 and 3). This is the second time, you sound ridiculous.
Colm

Colm

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Come on! Just because you are the only one, out of almost everybody else, don't defend this terrible problem with these tablets (both tab 2 and 3). This is the second time, you sound ridiculous.
Colm

Carry Thom

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I just had the same problem and held the power button down and it suddenly started charging again, and now it's switched on ... bit weird but hey it's working again for now !!!

It usually switches on straight away with no prob mind you ...

Regards,

Caroline :D

Quinton Hoyter

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
That is true. Apple definitely does it, and they too refuse to recognize their problems. There is an issue with 171 pages in the Apple forum regarding one problem, and our local Apple store managers "have never heard of such a problem, but we will give you a new iPad 2 for XXX (about what you would pay for a brand new one) or give you $60 to recycle yours." They all suck. Too difficult to make such an amazing product in such a tiny and durable package.

marty honzik

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: Samsung tab 3 wont switch on..?!

I'm so frustrated. I bough the device for my son and gave it to him before we left on the 24th Dec, booted fine and charged it once again after that.since then it just wouldn't charge again. i tried:
charging with original charger
other chargers (that i know works because i charged my daughters kindle)
holding down power button (tried 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 second
folding down power button and volume down button

this is so disappointing as i just recently made the leap from my trusted apple products.

Raymond1984

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Tried all button techniques none work all you need to do is plug into and extention lead then into a main wall socket works a dream seriously try it

Cap Curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I got mine wet and tried a long drying process of gentle heating and cooling -- to no avail. I paid a highly-regarded local repair shop $35 to open it, clean it and dry it. No dice. It seemed dead, although the battery icon did appear when I plugged in the charger-adapter.

Today, looking at the factory reset procedure, which is "VOL UP" + POWER, I tried it and failed.

Just for laughs, I tried "VOL DOWN" + POWER. The screen immediately lit up with a bright, clear message warning me that installing an alternate operating system could render the device inoperative. I was stunned. The message said clearly that I could dismiss that screen and just reboot if I wanted to. VOL DOWN would reboot and VOL UP would proceed into (whatever) process that would allow me to install an alternate operating system. Well, heck yeah, let's reboot and see what happens! I pressed VOL DOWN and yes, indeed, the Tab 3 rebooted to its familiar screen Home screen -- or whatever it's called.

Everything works but the battery is not charging. I must use it with the charger adapter plugged in. Yes, there are battery packs that will provide external power, so I can run the Tab 3 when I'm out. HOWEVER, there is an update waiting for me and the Tab 3 will not proceed with the update because the battery is less than 15%. (It's at zero.)

Maybe I need a new battery and maybe there's a software glitch to get around. Would a soft reset do anything. Is there even a soft reset? All these mobile devices are different.

There's more work ahead, but my Tab 3 WILL go online via WiFi and via Sprint Mobile Data.

twixiestix0017

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
My white Samsung Tablet 3 had many charging problems for around a month (i.e. only charging when the charger was put in a certain spot) but then one day it just stopped charging and/or turning on completely. I have tried the disconnect the power cord suggestion, didn't work, and have tried switching to the factor cord. Nothing is working!! I would love an answer to this (you would think that if this many people have been asking about it, Samsung would make it a priority!!) because I really liked my tablet when it was working!!

Theboardrider

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Not sure what the specs are....but this works every dang time, on multiple devices with similar issues....my daughters Kindle Fire has same problem from time to time.

If you have, or can get one of those grey box, with tiny cord Jawbone bluetooth headset chargers....man, those things work like a charm.

Might as well call them Shaft, because they come through 10 out of 10 times ;)

lee kok jun

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
Help I've just bought 2 new Samsung Galaxy tab 3's and neither will switch on.. They've been been charging for over 12 hours. They both powered up when first taken out the box, but now nothing. Any ideas appreciated...
alright so i have ny tab 3 for a while now and it have some problems in the past with not being able to on it but you just have to wait a while on the power button to turn it back on even though i never turn it off and it still have battry.however today i just did not turn on no matter what and i have to reset it casuing me to lose all my stuff in it.