Samsung Tab 3 won't switch on..?!

Montythelab

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
OK...I fixed both of these stupid things... (fixed with the battery trick...in case you don't know, you have to take the tablet apart, disconnect & reconnect the battery) - There is another thread that shows you how.
Now.....Is there a firmware update or something that we all should do? Do anyone by chance have any info/directions on updating software so we don't have to do this anymore? (thanks)

BBussey

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Repaired my sister's grandson's Tab 3 which had the same problem, won't show it's charging, won't power on. You have to remove the back cover of the tablet and disconnect the battery cable from the circuit board, then reconnect it back, and put it on a charger. The display will flicker/pulse when connected to a charger, and after a while will show it's charging because the battery was ran till dead. My advice if you're using a mobile phone charger, generic charger, or computer usb port is soon as you can power it on turn off the wifi and then turn off the screen (hold the power button till the screen goes dark) but if you have a 2.1 amp tablet charger you won't have to do either and can leave it as is since it can supply more power than the tablet is using (can't say that about the prior three). I posted a youtube video about this on another post.

I tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting, and it didn't work for me. I am charging with the 2.1amp outlet charger. Any other ideas? The unit was at 50% power when I turned it off a week ago, and now the battery is dead and it won't charge. Very annoying.

JFetch

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I just had to fix my sister's Tab 3 that I bought her for Christmas by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. It's ridiculous that they won't address this issue that's been around for at least two generations. This is why every battery should be easily accessible.

xmostwanted559x

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I just had to fix my sister's Tab 3 that I bought her for Christmas by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. It's ridiculous that they won't address this issue that's been around for at least two generations. This is why every battery should be easily accessible.

Even the old tabs do this?

Posted via Android Central App

njitgrad

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
My daughter's Kids Tab 3 is having the same issue. My two sons each have an 8" Tab 3.0 and have not had this problem. When I brought the Kids Tab back to Best Buy two weeks ago they connected a charger to it and a few minutes later it woke up out of its coma. Today is seems to have re-entered its coma. I can't charge it with ANY of the ORIGINAL Samsung chargers I have (the one that came with the Kids Tab, the ones for my sons' 8" tablets, the one for my S4 phone, and the one for my wife's S3 phone. And it won't trickle charge from my PC. All 5 of my SAMSUNG chargers work just fine with all of our Samsung devices except for the Kids Tab. The Geek Squad at Best Buy must have some "magical" charger because it wasn't even a Samsung charger. Looks like it's back to the store for me again. If they replace it (which the likely will because of my service plan) how can I prevent this from happening again? Maybe I can buy that charger that they used???

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
In honesty this is something basic that tablets lack compared to a laptop. If you simply had an app/option to lock the device or power it off at 10% power, this could perhaps be avoided permanently. I still have suspicion that some issues are more common on the model with PXA986 processor, and could be resolved by a firmware update that changes the battery charge calculator.

njitgrad

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
In honesty this is something basic that tablets lack compared to a laptop. If you simply had an app/option to lock the device or power it off at 10% power, this could perhaps be avoided permanently. I still have suspicion that some issues are more common on the model with PXA986 processor, and could be resolved by a firmware update that changes the battery charge calculator.

And the likelihood that Samsung will provide one of these prevention mechanisms via software update is.....????

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Several friends and family abuse their S II, SIII phones and have had cracked screens or damaged charging ports. But luckily not even one needed a battery pull. Ah. And two dead microSD in an S III before switching to $2/GB 'pro' card with better flash in it.

truelove2008

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I tried all this advice then hubby had a mess around with it now it's back working. Here is what he did...PRESS ALL 3 BUTTONS TOGETHER FOR A FEW SECONDS HE ONLY DID THIS FOR ABOUT 5 SECONDS, PLEASE NOTE THE VOLUME WAS PRESSED UP! YOU WILL GET A MESSAGE ON SCREEN FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS THEN YOUR TABLET WILL BE BACK UP AND RUNNING.
HOPE THIS WORKS...

Aromantik Sales

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem. The tab would not turn on or charge. Tried about every possible solution that a human brain can come up with without going insane and then I got it FIXED! I did the remove battery/put battery back in solution suggested by another member. I then connected it to the Samsung charger and voila! It started charging again. Word of advice: Do NOT let it completely run out of battery. This is what caused mine to go into a virtual coma.

- - - Updated - - -

user34540

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I had the exact same problem and tried all key combination to restore the unit and still would not work. I had given up and was about to attempt to open the case when I read somewhere to use the original power supply that came with the tablet (SAMSUNG written on top of the charging block with USB port on it's side). BINGO! Instantly the galaxy showed the charging icon. I had tried USB ports off my computer and laptop plus several other charging blocks I own (I also have apple tablet and iphone) which none of them worked. Only the original charging block seems to work when the galaxy tablet battery is drained.

njitgrad

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
My daughter's Kids Tab 3 is having the same issue. My two sons each have an 8" Tab 3.0 and have not had this problem. When I brought the Kids Tab back to Best Buy two weeks ago they connected a charger to it and a few minutes later it woke up out of its coma. Today is seems to have re-entered its coma. I can't charge it with ANY of the ORIGINAL Samsung chargers I have (the one that came with the Kids Tab, the ones for my sons' 8" tablets, the one for my S4 phone, and the one for my wife's S3 phone. And it won't trickle charge from my PC. All 5 of my SAMSUNG chargers work just fine with all of our Samsung devices except for the Kids Tab. The Geek Squad at Best Buy must have some "magical" charger because it wasn't even a Samsung charger. Looks like it's back to the store for me again. If they replace it (which the likely will because of my service plan) how can I prevent this from happening again? Maybe I can buy that charger that they used???

I sent our Kids Tab in and it was back in about a week and change (due to President's holiday and weekends). They were very quick about getting it back to me. So far we haven't re-encountered the issue but then again we haven't accidentally let it discharge completely which is when the problem happens.

missthing47

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung tab 3 wont switch on..?!

I have the same problems with my 3.0 tablet. The only way i have seemed to get it to work is to alternate between a usb connected to a computer and the wall mount. Let it charge for about 30 mins and try turning it on (hold power button for 10+ secs). If it doesn't work in one power source switch to the next power source. Eventually it turns on. Make sure the device is plugged into a power source when trying to turn it on. Its frustrating I know, but eventually I manage to get it booted up.

Please let me know if this works for anyone else...

missthing47

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Well I just had this problem today. My tablet turned off by itself, when I tried to turn it on, nothing. So I tried charging, again nothing. This has been going on for awhile and me thinking what it is I did wrong. Now after reading this thread I tried charging again and held the on/off button for more than a few seconds and finally it turned on. This tab3 I bought dec 28 last year and here it only has 1 month warranty. I do hope this will not happen again.