Screen Protector for DNA

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I installed my second one today (the first had a good cut but I had transplanted it a few times). This second one doesn't have as good as a cut as the first and is bubbled up around all of the edges a good bit.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/18/tytyjyny.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/18/y7eby9y5.jpg

As opposed to:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/18/vepe6aru.jpg

So, I've been using this screen protector (Photodon clear for around 6 months and would like to give my opinion. Overall, I do not recommended this protector for the DNA, specifically for two reasons:

1. Plain and simple, the protector is too thick for the touchscreen to properly function. For the past half of a year I thought that the digitizer used in the DNA was a piece of crap as very often a light swipe or even steady scrolling would be registered as a tap or double tap. After finally pulling the protector off, I found out that this behavior was completely caused by the ~150um thick protector. I wound up taking a left over SGP ultra nano protector I had from when I owned a GSIII which is ~50um in thickness and cutting it down to roughly fit the screen area and sure enough, this thickness doesn't produce the touch issues.

2. After about a month of using the oleophobic protector, the surface became less than pleasant to use. If any amount of oils accumulated on the surface or my finger was at least a little moist, the finger glide on the screen felt uneven and with a lot of resistance. For reference, I've been using a cheap eBay protector on my iPad for around the same amount of time and the finger glide is much nicer.

Last edited:

duketreo

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I had an XtremeGuard for about 9 or ten months. I also use a Poetic Atmosphere case. The case isn't the best quality as they don't seem to last but I like them a lot and can be replaced cheaply. The XtremeGuard served it's purpose but would seem to bubble up at the edges quite often when the phone was squeezed in a pocket or held tightly. It wasn't a problem (just an annoyance) as you could just push it back down or cut the edges a little bit. However, over time the edges got dusty and it was time to move on.

Bought the Photodon with finger coating and resisted putting it on as I figured it would be time consuming. The XtremeGuard took awhile and some thrown out shields before I got it right. The original Photodon came cut smaller than the screen, which I didn't like. Photodon explained that the edges of the larger size didn't adhere correctly because of the slight curvature of the DNA's screen. They sent me a larger one as I don't like a dust canal bordering my phone. I actually tried to test out the originals that they sent and they were cut backwards! Good thing they sent me new ones. Installation was much easier than I expected. Because it is not pliable it is easy to get on correctly. Took five minutes.

The screen definitely looks nicer now. It is sharp and clear like the original screen. The only caveat is the border around the protector. Because the screen fades off a little at the edges, you can see a picture frame like border around the phone. It's actually not bad because it is pretty uniform except at the top where it sticks better on some of the border. Looks like phone was designed that way.

So far it feels great and I hope it stays on the way it is. I feel like I have a new phone.

Here's a pic. The erratic spacing between the protector and the case is caused by case looseness. The protector is straight on the phone edge.

Attachments

• DNAPicPhotodon.jpg
    DNAPicPhotodon.jpg
    735.5 KB · Views: 15

duketreo

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Enjoyed it while it lasted. Dropped phone lightly in case- not a freefall but from a couple of feet and broke fall by foot. Can't say Photodon is very durable as it cracked a little as edge got pushed. Next day tried to clean a spec of dirt off and it scratched up pretty easily.

It's great for a little but it definitely didn't last. Shame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia