Security for phone that has to be reviewed

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I am curious if there is some method, likely using some form of virtualization, where you can have a phone that you hand to someone that prevents them from seeing any or all of your personal data, such that the phone *looks* OK, but you might have additional apps and data which is obfuscated or hidden from immediate view. I have more detail to my question, but I will leave it at that for now. (No replies suggesting additional phones, please.)

If it matters, I am currently running CalyxOS, I am testing a couple different OS variants, and I have the standard Android OS from the mfg.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Samsung kids mode kind of does that, but more from the perspective of being able to hand your device to your kid and then no fear of them screwing it up. They basically get their own "user space", think of it almost like a separate WindowsPC username/logon. However, I am pretty sure none of that is meant to "hide" the fact that there is another master user/owner profile still also on the device.

WinSecGeek

Apr 27, 2022
Visit site
Thanks. I have a Pixel 3a and 5a, as well as an HTC and a model named "McLaren" (cannot recall the mfg right now). The Samsung phone "kid mode" thing made me wonder if there is something more advanced available, sort of like a virtualized phone within a phone. I ran across an app that could create a container in which to hide data, but I want to protect my privacy and if I was ever to have to hand over my phone, I would like my data and apps to be protected. For example, traveling across borders where they force you to open your phone so that they can rummage through it and copy off your data. With phone advances and new variants, I was wondering if there was something like that kid mode, but more advanced. I've been checking out CalyxOS and LineageOS (on that McLaren).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks. I have a Pixel 3a and 5a. The Samsung phone "kid mode" thing made me wonder if there is something more advanced available, sort of like a virtualized phone within a phone. I ran across an app that could create a container in which to hide data, but I want to protect my privacy and if I was ever to have to hand over my phone, I would like my data and apps to be protected. For example, traveling across borders where they force you to open your phone so that they can rummage through it and copy off your data. With phone advances and new variants, I was wondering if there was something like that kid mode, but more advanced.
Welcome to AC!
Guest mode is very good option

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRNATAREN