still waiting for 5.1

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Frankly, the reason I prefer not to flash the factory image is that it will wipe my phone.

Go into the 'flash-all.bat' script and get rid of the "-w" flag. That clears the 'wipe' flag and it leaves your user data be. Wugfresh gives you the option to retain as well.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Go into the 'flash-all.bat' script and get rid of the "-w" flag. That clears the 'wipe' flag and it leaves your user data be. Wugfresh gives you the option to retain as well.

Thanks for that tip; it always seemed that wiping was just the price you had to pay for not waiting for an OTA update.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Frankly, the reason I prefer not to flash the factory image is that it will wipe my phone. That means I have to take separate pains to backup and then restore my WhatsApp conversations, SMS/MMS conversations, music, and so on.

It's just a PITA that I should not have to endure.

You could also sideload the OTA. That won't touch your data...

AC App
Nexus 6

az86018

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
A Verizon rep told me that my N6 would not get a 5.1 upgrade because the Google/Verizon "system" sees my device as a Droid Turbo ... REALLY!

I wonder if my phone will leapfrog to 5.1.1 when Droid Turbo does, as recently announced. :)

Could anyone comment on that pronouncement by a Verizon representative?

bbdub

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I purchased the Nexus 6 about a month ago. When I booted it up it showed version 5.0 and I have never received an OTA for anything yet. I run everything stock- no rooting etc. I am in no rush to get 5.1 so I always just wait for the OTA. At this point I am wondering if there is an issue with the system recognizing the phone for updates or something like that. I bought it from Google store and run it on AT&T. Still on 5.0 and hopefully an update will be coming soon.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I purchased my N6 from VZW store April 25,2015.It was already on 5.1
017a1415d43a8abb723e9b6426e3c183.jpg

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

? That comment gets a 'huh?" from me. First, Google will see your phone as a Nexus 6... will always see your phone as a Nexus 6... because it's a Nexus 6. Now, Verizon, well, who knows that they think. If they go in and ignore the fact that your phone is a Nexus 6 and say "Well, it's 5.1, so even though its a Nexus 6, we'll call it a Turbo". Well, not sure what kind of drugs that would require. :)

I wouldn't wait for Verizon... the 5.1 update is too good to not to go. Outside of the tweaks to the system... new priority interuption handling, etc... the kernel updates alone make it a must-load. The phone runs noticeably better with 5.1....

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... that's messed up... there's no reason why you shouldn't have got the OTA yet. Really..

Either flash the factory image (I'm guessing since you are on Cricket, you will want the 'D' 5.1 image) yourself, or download the Wugfresh NRT and let it do the heavy lifting.

Hmmm... Can you explain the difference between LMY47D, LMY47E, and LMY47I?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately, my Nexus 6 is not unlocked. I think that greatly limits my options for manually updating without first wiping, correct?

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the Nexus 6 about a month ago. When I booted it up it showed version 5.0 and I have never received an OTA for anything yet. I run everything stock- no rooting etc. I am in no rush to get 5.1 so I always just wait for the OTA. At this point I am wondering if there is an issue with the system recognizing the phone for updates or something like that. I bought it from Google store and run it on AT&T. Still on 5.0 and hopefully an update will be coming soon.
If you don't want to wait for AT&T to decide the moon is in the right phase and the stars are in correct alignment before releasing "their" update, here's information for obtaining the update straight from the mothership, no sideloading no rooting.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If you don't want to wait for AT&T to decide the moon is in the right phase and the stars are in correct alignment before releasing "their" update, here's information for obtaining the update straight from the mothership, no sideloading no rooting.

Very interesting although that takes me back to having to wipe my phone first.

Grrrr....

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I went ahead and did it as defined in the linked post. Still very annoyed that I had to do this; the whole idea behind buying a non-branded Nexus device directly from Google is to avoid exactly this scenario.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I went ahead and did it as defined in the linked post. Still very annoyed that I had to do this; the whole idea behind buying a non-branded Nexus device directly from Google is to avoid exactly this scenario.
I agree, it's very frustrating. I'm planning on making my next phone a non-branded Nexus because I'm sick and tired of the carrier stranglehold on updates. No, we shouldn't have to do a factory reset just to update our phones but at least we have that option and, in my opinion, it's better than the alternative, e.g., waiting an indeterminate period of time before the carrier decides to release their OTA update.

az86018

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Google claims: "Once an update is available, it can take up to two weeks for it to reach your device. " ... it now has been over two months since the 5.1 update has been available, why has it not reached my device? ... and apparently others?

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en&ref_topic=3415518
... then tap "Nexus Devices"

Last edited:

Rictor9227

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Tried this today since I hadn't received the 5.1 OTA yet.

[Settings] -> [Apps] -> swipe over to [All] -> scroll to [Google Services Framework] and tap to open.
Clear Data then Force Stop
Now go back to [About phone] -> [System updates] and manually check for the update.

5.1 is downloading now...

Update: While I've never had any issues using this method there could be potential risks involved. YMMV

Worked for me, downloading right now

sictheangel

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem.

I am curious ... what is your carrier and what did you use for a SIM for activation. Mine is Verizon and I used (and continue to use) my Droid Turbo SIM.

A Verizon rep told me that my N6 would not get a 5.1 upgrade because the Google/Verizon "system" sees my device as a Droid Turbo ... REALLY!

I wonder if my phone will leapfrog to 5.1.1 when Droid Turbo does, as recently announced. :)
I wonder if that's true in any way. I have my Nexus 6 on MetroPCS, and at the time I activated it with them, I don't think they had it in their database. I still think they don't, because they don't seem to recognize it when my account is accessed (for bill payment, adding services, etc). Since they don't support it officially, I don't think Google passes the OTA information along to them to pass to my phone, so it's stuck in limbo. I never got an OTA update notification, I had to sideload it to get 5.1. I thought I'd get the M build OTA since Google sees my phone as being on T-Mobile in the Play Store (probably because T-Mobile owns MetroPCS), but nope.

Interestingly enough, though, I get T-Mobile's HD Calling feature in 5.1, as well as VoLTE calls anyway, -- again, probably because MetroPCS is owned by T-Mobile now (so they have the same features) and my Nexus 6 knows so.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited: