The Honor 8 is one of the best phones I've ever had

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I use Nova Prime on my Android phones. I can't see that changing no matter what phone I use so the EMUI interface will only cover those things that Nova does not. ...settings menus and so on and that's just not enough to make or break a phone experience for me. I may give the 8 a shot because it's fun for me to experience different hardware but I'm pretty satisfied with my LG hardware.

I also cover every phone UI with Nova.
Nova is what I'm used to so that's the standard I like to keep.

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't want to say that that is bad because it isn't ,but i ask because i have 12-13 hours SOT in a day. My Honor 8 gets around 6-8 hours SOT in a day. My other phone can get me through 12-13 hours SOT with a little battery life to spare.

That is amazing! I considered the Moto Z Play because my phone before my Honor 8 was a Moto X 2014 PE. I love the Moto software. To me, that would be worth more than the 12-13 hours SOT because I don't need that much before I can get to a charger. The Honor, at roughly half the price is an absolute steal and I'm very happy so far. I'm still figuring out some quirks here and there but it hasn't let me down at all.

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I also cover every phone UI with Nova.
Nova is what I'm used to so that's the standard I like to keep.

I do the same. I keep reading about how much everyone loves EMUI which is awesome. I'm not sure what I'm missing by using Nova Prime. I don't like having more than one screen and do want an app drawer. I don't like multiple folders all over my screen like IOS or EMUI. I know you can hide unused apps in EMUI. This is off topic, but what am I missing out on by using Nova? I figured I wasn't missing anything really as I assume I'm still getting all of the features just not the look or skin if you will. Either way, I'd recommend an Honor 8 to anyone. I've gotten plenty of compliments at work and have not one person, in my small circle of friends/work mates that have ever heard of Honor. I tell them that it is just as good if not better than their phone for 1/3 of the price. ;)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That is amazing! I considered the Moto Z Play because my phone before my Honor 8 was a Moto X 2014 PE. I love the Moto software. To me, that would be worth more than the 12-13 hours SOT because I don't need that much before I can get to a charger. The Honor, at roughly half the price is an absolute steal and I'm very happy so far. I'm still figuring out some quirks here and there but it hasn't let me down at all.

Both the Honor 8 and Moto z Play Droid retail for or $400ish. Though there seems to be better sales on the Honor 8 unless you want to do a bit of work like me and get the Moto z play droid for $20 after promotions.

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Both the Honor 8 and Moto z Play Droid retail for or $400ish. Though there seems to be better sales on the Honor 8 unless you want to do a bit of work like me and get the Moto z play droid for $20 after promotions.

Wow! Now that is a steal. I'm on ATT and I haven't found many promotions on the Moto Z Play. I thought getting my 64 GB blue Honor 8 for $285 was a good deal but man $20 for a Moto Z Play.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I do the same. I keep reading about how much everyone loves EMUI which is awesome. I'm not sure what I'm missing by using Nova Prime. I don't like having more than one screen and do want an app drawer. I don't like multiple folders all over my screen like IOS or EMUI. I know you can hide unused apps in EMUI. This is off topic, but what am I missing out on by using Nova? I figured I wasn't missing anything really as I assume I'm still getting all of the features just not the look or skin if you will. Either way, I'd recommend an Honor 8 to anyone. I've gotten plenty of compliments at work and have not one person, in my small circle of friends/work mates that have ever heard of Honor. I tell them that it is just as good if not better than their phone for 1/3 of the price. ;)
If you're used to nova, you're mainly just changing the gesture controls available to you, which you're probably more familiar with on nova anyway.
When nougat and EMUI 5.0 rolls out in February, there is an app drawer available on EMUI.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... To be honest, in the absence of the Nexus and Pixel lines, I think I am most drawn to the Huawei/Honor lineup of phones. Hardware wise, they've really nailed their design aesthetic. And they are putting in a lot of effort in fixing EMUI with 5.0.

If you asked me to pick a mid-ranger to use right now, I would most likely pick the Honor 8. It just seems to be the one that gets the most right. 2017 is going to be a big year for that brand.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I bought myself the Sapphire Blue as an Xmas present and really enjoyed it. That said, it was a 32GB and bought at Best Buy (they had them for $299). And then came along Amazon, and I was so happy to see the Black available. So, I returned the Sapphire Blue and waiting for my 64GB Black to arrive on Friday! Woot! Black is absolutely gorgeous!

All in all, when I used the phone for a day, I really enjoyed it. I struggled with the notifications but once I tweaked it, it was OK. Can't wait for the Nougat to solve this the right way. Been used to high end smartphone screens like iPhone 7 Plus, S7 Edge, I felt a little odd using the Honor 8's screen, mainly due to its bluish white tint. But for the price you pay, its OK. Display is not bad, its just not the best out in the market. The eye comfort option is fantastic though.

Fingerprint scanner is slick. Its super quick and love the smart key options. Not to mention how useful the knuckle gestures are. Many may call it a gimmick, but it actually works way better than a 'gimmick', that is, they are very productive.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Been used to high end smartphone screens like iPhone 7 Plus, S7 Edge, I felt a little odd using the Honor 8's screen, mainly due to its bluish white tint. But for the price you pay, its OK. Display is not bad, its just not the best out in the market. The eye comfort option is fantastic though.

Glad that you liked it!

A note about the display: You can adjust the color temperature of the screen in settings->display. I hope that you will continue to enjoy your Honor 8 :)

gnondpomme

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
You can't argue with the fact that the honor 8 is a very good phone ! But for me the best phone I ever had is the Nexus 5 even if the battery life or the photo quality were nowhere near as good as on the H8 there was something about this phone that made me keep it for 3 years ! That never happened with another phone ! And it stayed fluid as hell during all this time even with me putting all the ROMs and other stuff on it !
That doesn't mean I don't like my H8 but I don't feel as hooked with it than with the nexus 5

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I bought myself the Sapphire Blue as an Xmas present and really enjoyed it. That said, it was a 32GB and bought at Best Buy (they had them for $299). And then came along Amazon, and I was so happy to see the Black available. So, I returned the Sapphire Blue and waiting for my 64GB Black to arrive on Friday! Woot! Black is absolutely gorgeous!

All in all, when I used the phone for a day, I really enjoyed it. I struggled with the notifications but once I tweaked it, it was OK. Can't wait for the Nougat to solve this the right way. Been used to high end smartphone screens like iPhone 7 Plus, S7 Edge, I felt a little odd using the Honor 8's screen, mainly due to its bluish white tint. But for the price you pay, its OK. Display is not bad, its just not the best out in the market. The eye comfort option is fantastic though.

Fingerprint scanner is slick. Its super quick and love the smart key options. Not to mention how useful the knuckle gestures are. Many may call it a gimmick, but it actually works way better than a 'gimmick', that is, they are very productive.
You can change the colour temperature in the settings menu of the tint of the screen isn't to your Liking.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't agree more with you, LeoRex! I'm super excited to see what Huawei/Honor comes up with in the year ahead.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FABETTTTT