Trade In Thread

GrumpyMomofMacR

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
My return arrived in TX Friday, no cracked screen email. Instead I received the "Because we received an empty shipping box from you.. you will be charged". The same email I received last year as well!

I contacted them via chat, shared all my pics and they reversed their decision. When I dropped it off at FedEx and was taking pics the employee fully understood why and said it was a know issue w/in FedEx.

I shared the IMEI number and asked if they would blacklist the device, they replied " If I would like them to". They never answered my question on chat asking why there were so many false cracked screen reports and missing devices.

My RETURN (not a trade) also got the same notice! They showed me a video of them opening my sealed shipping box. The original box my phone should have been in was empty. The four cases I returned with it were there. Unfortunately I don't have a video of me packing it up. We gave one for my husband's trade in but not for my return. I didn't realize they were going to the same place when I packed up my phone.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I wonder what's up with this happening to so many people. I get it if the screen is scratched up when the device is sent in and Samsung claims it's cracked. That's an argument about the degree of the wear and tear, not whether the defect or any defect exists to begin with. And if they're truly videotaping the devices coming out of the return boxes one would think they'd be wary of claiming damage where none exists. I just don't get it. But, suffice it to say, I'll be taking extensive video of my pristine Z Flip 4 as I reset it, box it up and drop it off at FedEx.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using AC Forums mobile app

Yep they're really damaging their reputation, with what appears to be a pretty obvious scam to cheat people out of their full trade in values. They're losing a lot of people that are going to look at different options for trading phones in.... or maybe not pick up the new model at all :eek:

I know any trade in I consider will be in person only ;)

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Feel terrible for all of the others that have gone through the same thing I went through on Monday morning.

Seems like most all of the issues are at the Coppell, TX location?

I had trouble getting it delivered to Assurant after it arrived in Lewisville Texas. Then I got notice somebody finally picked it up after a week and I got full credit. But it was not an aggravation free trade-in.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If it were closer than 3/4 hours, I'd have strongly considered it. It sounds like they fall back quickly after people provide proof, so I should be fine. I have pics and video.
No proof was needed, they never asked me anything. I didn't even mention I had pictures and videos of me packing and showing my phone in perfect condition. I just told them I got this cracked screen email but my phone is in perfect condition. They didn't dispute anything and removed the charge.

It's just the inconvenience of you having to reach out and spend some 15-30 minutes on this and also ethically just wrong on Samsung and trade in partners trying to scam people.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

pags11

Mar 5, 2019
Visit site
No proof was needed, they never asked me anything. I didn't even mention I had pictures and videos of me packing and showing my phone in perfect condition. I just told them I got this cracked screen email but my phone is in perfect condition. They didn't dispute anything and removed the charge.

It's just the inconvenience of you having to reach out and spend some 15-30 minutes on this and also ethically just wrong on Samsung and trade in partners trying to scam people.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

Have to agree here. This year is the worst hear I have ever seen with all of these "mistakes". For it to continually happen now for weeks at a time is extremely disappointing. It is good that 95% of the stories I read, including my own, end in Samsung making things right. But to your point, it is very stressful to have to go through contacting Samsung and dealing with trying to talk with them about a trade-in device having a cracked screen, when the phone that was sent in didn't have one (or anything else wrong with it for that matter).

nuangel2

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
My trade in S22 ultra was received by Samsung in Texas yesterday. This morning sure enough got email saying screen was cracked. I had 155 charge back. I sent in a pristine phone. I have proof. So I called Samsung and spoke with Them. I told them my phone was not cracked and was well packed when I sent it and I have proof. She said let me watch video of your trade in. 2min later came back saying screen was not cracked and I would not get charged. I received another email saying no charge back. Trade in passed. And site says trade in manually completed.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
My trade in S22 ultra was received by Samsung in Texas yesterday. This morning sure enough got email saying screen was cracked. I had 155 charge back. I sent in a pristine phone. I have proof. So I called Samsung and spoke with Them. I told them my phone was not cracked and was well packed when I sent it and I have proof. She said let me watch video of your trade in. 2min later came back saying screen was not cracked and I would not get charged. I received another email saying no charge back. Trade in passed. And site says trade in manually completed.

This is total BS with all that's going on that I've been seen on both forums with people getting these emails with the crqcked screen.. I'm happy you have it resolved

kide#WN

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
For people who didn't get the trade-in and return issues resolved, you can contact the Samsung CEO office by following this link: https://contactus.samsung.com/custo...tionGeneralNew.jsp?PROD_ID=G303850&siteId=591.

Or another option is to contact the customer complain line for the local Dallas - Fort Worth news station (the Coppell trade-in center is in their area) . They are pretty good with contacting businesses and resolving the issues. They can also mention it on the local news programs (and business don't want that).
https://www.nbcdfw.com/consumer-form/

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Same here. But mine went to TN, so fingers crossed all goes ok. I'm always nervous at this point because there are always a bunch of posts about these problems. However, I have not had a problem in any of the past years.
My theory is that the partner who does the review gets more from Sansung when they reject the trade ins. So they just reject them in hopes that some percentage of customers never follow up. Samsung needs to pull the reigns in on whatever partner they are using in TX; maybe institute some fines for bad rejections to encourage that partner not to reject a good phone.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
My theory is that the partner who does the review gets more from Sansung when they reject the trade ins. So they just reject them in hopes that some percentage of customers never follow up.

Other than the anecdotes, I have no idea what is actually going on, and anecdotes do not always give us an answer considering the vast number of phones being traded in.

But...If there is a concerted effort to reject phones that should not be rejected, that would be a major lawsuit. It might be a lawsuit even if you had a circumstance where it was simply rampant incompetence, but there wouldn't be much doubt about that if it were deliberate.

Hopefully, that is not the case.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Wow, sorry to read so many stories of trade-ins gone wrong. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I reset my S22 Ultra, packed it in my S23 Ultra's box, and dropped it off at FedEx on Sunday the 26th. I paid $13 for fragile shipping. This morning on Wednesday the 1st, I got a notification that my phone was received, and in the evening on the same day I got an email and text from Samsung that my trade-in was accepted.

Really unfortunate to read some of the horror stories in here. I know you can get your new phone shipped to a Best Buy location. I wonder if there's any way to do the trade in locally as well, without having to go through a carrier.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Same here. But mine went to TN, so fingers crossed all goes ok. I'm always nervous at this point because there are always a bunch of posts about these problems. However, I have not had a problem in any of the past years.
My theory is that the partner who does the review gets more from Sansung when they reject the trade ins. So they just reject them in hopes that some percentage of customers never follow up. Samsung needs to pull the reigns in on whatever partner they are using in TX; maybe institute some fines for bad rejections to encourage that partner not to reject a good phone.

If that were the case then Samsung would be at fault since they would be indirectly creating an incentive program.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I double checked my husband's Samsung shop app and his said pending receipt both phones were taken to Fed Ex at the same time so it's weird that the guy told me his got approved.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
It's been received as of 10:17am (CST), so we'll see.

My S23U return went kinda smoothly. I'm in Houston and it made to Coppell same day. 3/1. I got notified they received it, and that Care + was canceled. I have yet to get confirmation from Samsung the return was accepted or denied, but I got an email from PayPal with the full refund amount. Weird...It's still a win though, so yeah. That's over.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My S23U return went kinda smoothly. I'm in Houston and it made to Coppell same day. 3/1. I got notified they received it, and that Care + was canceled. I have yet to get confirmation from Samsung the return was accepted or denied, but I got an email from PayPal with the full refund amount. Weird...It's still a win though, so yeah. That's over.

That's because they know were close buy and ready to give them a whuppin

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melseywag