Update Available!!!!

DaBigBR

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
First time poster here.

Purchased a MoPho about a week ago. Had the silent call issue appear about two days later, however I am NOT a heavy "phone" user, so I don't know when it actually appeared. I think it was my second phone call on the device. I had none of the reboot issues and was happy with wifi speed, but extremely disappointed with 3G.

Using Speedtest, I was seeing 3G speeds in the .25M range, which is unbelievably slow. This was reflected in the browsing "experience." I just finished installing the update (no problems) and with the same benchmark was getting 1.3M on 3G, but no improvement on wifi (which was not an issue before).

Here's to hoping that the silent call issue is fixed.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Well you guys can all thank me for your Photon update. I actually took mine back to Radio Shack last night. Since I'm going out of town soon, I couldn't keep the phone while I was away since I didnt know when the MR was coming. Literally within 8 hours of taking it back, the update gets pushed out to people. My two biggest gripes (terrible browser speed and no audio phone calls) seem to be addressed. Might have to swing by a Sprint store this evening.

Is this Guy serious the browser was already faster than anything on the market ..smg

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Is this Guy serious the browser was already faster than anything on the market ..smg

Multiple speed tests from multiple sources pegged by 3G speeds at .02 to .25 Mbps. Thats horrifically slow. Regardless of how good the browser it, it still has to actually receive the information from a website. No issues with the software browser, but my internet speeds were terrible.

MacBook

May 17, 2010
Visit site

LMAO I AGREE.. The browser and data speeds were fast as hell on mine even before the update.. Nothing is slow on this phone IMO. Im just happy the call Audio problem was fixed.. Now my Photon is perfect!! I get almost 2 megs down on 3G here in my city and 10, sometimes 15 megs (depending on where I am) on 4G with this phone so yeah, its the area that they are in thats causing them to have slow 3G.

Last edited:

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Multiple speed tests from multiple sources pegged by 3G speeds at .02 to .25 Mbps. Thats horrifically slow. Regardless of how good the browser it, it still has to actually receive the information from a website. No issues with the software browser, but my internet speeds were terrible.
Oh ok well include that's its a Sprint issue and not a perfect photon issue..ice had several phones and this phone I'd damn near perfect

skld

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
The silent phone issue only affected me about 4 times since I picked up the phone on the 13th. Hopefully this update fixes that issue, other than that, I've been fine with the this phone!

It did seem like the speeds were faster on my train ride in this morning, but I don't know if I can attribute that to the update.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
The silent phone issue only affected me about 4 times since I picked up the phone on the 13th. Hopefully this update fixes that issue, other than that, I've been fine with the this phone!

It did seem like the speeds were faster on my train ride in this morning, but I don't know if I can attribute that to the update.
its the update

skld

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
its the update

I ran a speed test on 3g, and the speeds aren't any better than before. But it does seem as if I am holding 4g much better now. But then again I haven't been using 4g much since I have wifi at home and work. But it seems like 4g is more consistent on my train ride between Manhattan and Queens.

I am pleased to see an update so quick. My wife has had an Epic since March, and i've only seen one update for her phone.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Your wife's phone didn't have the issues the Photon did so why would it need a fix it software release?

My wife's EPIC runs like a charm and always has.

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Your wife's phone didn't have the issues the Photon did so why would it need a fix it software release?

My wife's EPIC runs like a charm and always has.

Running Froyo like a charm, not Gingerbread. Epic behind the times.. again.

Many Epics still have GPS issues.

Many Epics have severe keyboard lag issues (I'm in this boat, had to rom just to use it)

His point is, the Epic has has issues for awhile now that Samsung has never addressed, and he is lauding Moto for getting on this quick.

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site
My epic had the gps issue. Also had horrible signal strength. I was hesitant at first to get the photon cause I loved the epics screen so much. But after having the photon for just a week I didn't miss the epic. The photon is such a good phone. So much more solid both hard and software then the epic.

dullgeek

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Using Speedtest, I was seeing 3G speeds in the .25M range, which is unbelievably slow.
I have a 3g airave at home and I think that the slow 3g speed is due to sprint's network. On my airave, 3g is much better than on sprint's 3g network. If it were the phone, then it'd be slow on the airave, too. But it's reasonable. It's what you'd expect for 3g.

At least where I live, I think sprint's 3g network is poor.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4g with Tapatalk

fortemusic

May 17, 2010
Visit site
When attempting to update, I just get: Check for update is not available at this time. Please try again later.

Anyone else having this problem? I am guessing their update system is flooded.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site
There is no doubt about it! Sprints 3g is weaker than most of the other networks. Thats probably why they are cheaper too. But i can tell you this, the photon seams to be the best phone on sprint right now at pulling in whatever 3g there is in your area. Its far better than the nexus s and better still than the evo 3d from my testing. I've played around with just about every smart phone on sprint and for signal strength and data speeds nothing is better than this MoPho!

Last edited:

Septiformus

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
When attempting to update, I just get: Check for update is not available at this time. Please try again later.

Anyone else having this problem? I am guessing their update system is flooded.

Settings --> Battery & Data Manager --> Data Delivery --> Social Applications --> Make sure sync over wifi is not checked

Reactions: fortemusic

aog3

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I am having Drop Call Issues after the UPDATE!!!!!!!! I like the phone, but is just asking for me to taking him BACK!!!!! I am on my second Photon by the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter