Update Available!!!!

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Well you guys can all thank me for your Photon update. I actually took mine back to Radio Shack last night. Since I'm going out of town soon, I couldn't keep the phone while I was away since I didnt know when the MR was coming. Literally within 8 hours of taking it back, the update gets pushed out to people. My two biggest gripes (terrible browser speed and no audio phone calls) seem to be addressed. Might have to swing by a Sprint store this evening.

Reactions: tiny2nz and ToddK

gmonkey88

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Thank you Sprint/Motorola. I really didnt want to return this phone. I was going to hold right up until my 30 days to return it. Updating right now.

pksublime

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I cam from a Pre and it gave me a notification that an update was available. It took forever (5 minutes) for me to find where in the system the update area was. I don't usually think of the "About" screen as a place to take actions...

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Two quick observations: First, on XDA, there have been gripes of the OTA breaking their wi-fi. On mine, all I had to do was re-enter my security code and bam.....on again. It wiped the memory of the code apparently. Secondly, I don't know about browser speed because mine was quick before, but I just ran Quadrant 4 times and while I'm sure it's not really that big of a deal....it went from averaging 2200 to 2500 with a high of 2668. Coming from an Gen 1 Evo, it's kinda funny to see it WAY down the Quadrant list.

Oh...and for those of us that have suffered the "gee all I did was plug in the USB to a computer and now I can't see squat on my SD card" blues.........while it's not in the release notes, I think something was fixed there, too. My Backup Pro WAS writing to the phones "internal SD card" (partition). NOW, it writes to my little SanDisk like it should.

Of course I already pissed away a ton of stuff on the original while troubleshooting. It was backup up to the PC, but just a pain in the butt to replace everything. Let's hope they eventually come up with a standard for naming conventions and think of a brighter idea than naming a partition of the internal as "sd card". Doofuses!

The MoPho truly is one.

bj

k425

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Still having call audio issues after MR5 update...

So my 30 days are up this Saturday since I ordered July 28th. I had one exchange on August 1st before we knew the no audio call bug was widespread. I can't wait any longer since I need to decide by Friday 8/26 whether to keep the phone or return within my 30 days and wait for the SGS2. I really, really like this phone and want to be able to keep it.

So last night I downloaded the MRs that were linked at MoPho XDA forum. I used my daughter's netbook since my corporate laptop won't let me install RSD Lite.

I installed the MR3 update and then MR5 after that just to be safe. Of course I was up to 3am doing the update and then Sprint and Moto release the OTA this morning. Everything went flawlessly. Browser and WiFi speeds seem lightning fast (I do not believe this to be the placebo effect).

Results!
Results are what counts right? So at first the no audio phone call bug seemed to be gone... but remember the process of updating requires you to reboot at least a few times. So as of 9am to 10am this morning I have made several test calls and I am STILL having audio issues. The incoming audio drops in and out. No totally silent calls like with MR1 but they are still there. It does seem vastly improved but not 100%. I would say it is about 65-75% of where it should be.

My last recourse before returning the MoPho is to do a factory data reset which I don't want to do (between resetting my MoPho twice and replacing me wife and daughter's EVO all I seem to do is install Android apps and setup phones!). I will wait until this afternoon to see if the audio issues with phone calls progressively get worse as it did on MR1. I will update everyone on my results as I get more info.

On another note... the inability to steam 16k MP3 audio (I believe that is the bitrate... maybe it's 32k) has not been fixed. While trying to listen to my favorite sports radio station through the Radio.com app the audio has a stop/start stutter that makes it almost completely unlistenable.

I found a workaround (hint StreamFurious) to this issue but I wish Motorola would fix the Photon's ability to correctly handle this audio stream especially since CBS Radio has decided to remove it's streams from the Tune In app.

That being said I have seen almost no coverage from Android Central's articles on the MoPho's "issues". Maybe I missed a From the Forums post... or Phil's full review of the MoPho! ;)

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Bah!

When I go to check for updates, I get a "check for updates is not available at this time. please try again later" message.

grrr

hmm tried the download twice now. it downloads, restarts, and then i get a message saying installation failed
any ideas?

Restart your phones. And, since everyone is just now getting this info the servers are probably busy. Nonetheless, restart your phone before trying again. You may also want to go to your browser and clear history/cache.

And for K425....who in the world streams at 32k these days? Even with spoken word formats!? Our news stations are at 128K and it's all voice, all the time. Oh...yeah....CBS.

bj

Last edited:
Reactions: Asquinol

pksublime

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Restart your phones. And, since everyone is just now getting this info the servers are probably busy. Nonetheless, restart your phone before trying again. You may also want to go to your browser and clear history/cache.

And for K425....who in the world streams at 32k these days? Even with spoken word formats!? Our news stations are at 128K and it's all voice, all the time. Oh...yeah....CBS.

bj

well after power down, i saw a progress bar quickly this time, and then booting normally
still didn't take though

the install message says something about taking up to 7 minutes, but my phone restarts right away

Asquinol

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

bj

thanks, that seemed to have worked. Downloading now, although it has been sitting @ 4% for a few minutes now.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
My wifi and 3G speeds are also much improved, as well as wifi range (I'm now getting a good connection in my office in the garage where I was barely getting connection before). Browser is definitely faster, and I'm also (for what it's worth) getting better benchmark scores. Quadrant is consistently 2500+, and I'm getting around 3500/2600 on Smartbench 2011 (was getting around 2800/2600 before the update).

I know, who cares about benchmarks, right? But, even so, performance is simply outstanding. Feel no qualms about keeping this phone with everything that's great about it vs. the SGS II.

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
So my 30 days are up this Saturday since I ordered July 28th. I had one exchange on August 1st before we knew the no audio call bug was widespread. I can't wait any longer since I need to decide by Friday 8/26 whether to keep the phone or return within my 30 days and wait for the SGS2. I really, really like this phone and want to be able to keep it.

So last night I downloaded the MRs that were linked at MoPho XDA forum. I used my daughter's netbook since my corporate laptop won't let me install RSD Lite.

I installed the MR3 update and then MR5 after that just to be safe. Of course I was up to 3am doing the update and then Sprint and Moto release the OTA this morning. Everything went flawlessly. Browser and WiFi speeds seem lightning fast (I do not believe this to be the placebo effect).

Results!
Results are what counts right? So at first the no audio phone call bug seemed to be gone... but remember the process of updating requires you to reboot at least a few times. So as of 9am to 10am this morning I have made several test calls and I am STILL having audio issues. The incoming audio drops in and out. No totally silent calls like with MR1 but they are still there. It does seem vastly improved but not 100%. I would say it is about 65-75% of where it should be.

My last recourse before returning the MoPho is to do a factory data reset which I don't want to do (between resetting my MoPho twice and replacing me wife and daughter's EVO all I seem to do is install Android apps and setup phones!). I will wait until this afternoon to see if the audio issues with phone calls progressively get worse as it did on MR1. I will update everyone on my results as I get more info.

On another note... the inability to steam 16k MP3 audio (I believe that is the bitrate... maybe it's 32k) has not been fixed. While trying to listen to my favorite sports radio station through the Radio.com app the audio has a stop/start stutter that makes it almost completely unlistenable.

I found a workaround (hint StreamFurious) to this issue but I wish Motorola would fix the Photon's ability to correctly handle this audio stream especially since CBS Radio has decided to remove it's streams from the Tune In app.

That being said I have seen almost no coverage from Android Central's articles on the MoPho's "issues". Maybe I missed a From the Forums post... or Phil's full review of the MoPho! ;)

ive got the same thing.

Mine restarted FAR quicker than 7 min. Go to settings.about phone and see if System version is

45.2.5.MB855.Sprint.en.US

If it is, it's done.

bj

dullgeek

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I've only owned the phone for 3 days. And I've had several random reboots, and the "can't hear, can't be heard" problem twice. I am really quite hopeful that this will fix the problems I've been seeing.

As well, I'd really like to see improved 3G performance. But I don't think that this is an issue with the phone. I get fantastic 3G performance when I'm on my airave. But when I'm on the Sprint network, even somewhere with strong signal, I get crap 3G performance. That suggets to me that Sprint is not providing enough bandwidth for their 3G network. I get a lot better network perf on 4G (of course) but then I can only use my phone for a few hours away from a charger.

Coming from a Pre, it's really *nice* to see an OTA update. I haven't seen one of those in... a while.

Hopeful!

thinknate

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: Still having call audio issues after MR5 update...

Are you in Chicago by any chance?