Using the TAB 6 in a work enviornment

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm getting ready for retirment...less than a year now. I've started to move away from the heavy duty laptops and PCs required for business connectiivty in a managed scenario. I got the TAB 6 last week and spent the time getting used to it. I have the NOTE 10+ and between the 2 of them I cover most of my needs. Today I connected my TAB 6 directly to the work network in a remote situation. So far I can cover the vast majority of my work with no issues. I cannot drill directly down into our corporate network...and that is probably an OS issue...issue as in Android/Chrome/IOS/IPADOS/Mac os issue. But, over 95% of my work is doable.

I might be able to do a sit on the beach don't bother me I'm working type of thing....:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Fast-T

Nov 6, 2017
Visit site
I also use my Tab6 at work. Mostly Office365 but the thing is quite useful in meetings as a notepad and checking emails. My company limits access of BYOD, so no network resources available. But I am actually thinking to leave my laptop behind on my next trip. PowerPoint on the tab is great with the pen as a clicker and Notes open. In split screen while presenting.

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Our company uses INTUNE, so, the connectivity is there...I can't do file drill down. But Online connectivy is all there.

BaritoneGuy

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Our company uses INTUNE, so, the connectivity is there...I can't do file drill down. But Online connectivy is all there.

There are add on apps that can get to the Windows file servers. You need something that supports SMB X-Plore file manager is one I have used in the past.

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Not sure I want to add NON company or non native apps to drill down. Our company does use Office365 and the availability of most everything I need is there, and I can reach it. that makes this more than accpetable in a work enviornment.

BaritoneGuy

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
We are big O365 users as well. Haven't needed to access a file server in a couple of years. I am also finding this works great in our MS environment. Have the complete suite of MS stuff installed including the launcher and Edge.

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. I think my biggest concern with INTUNE was any setting that controlled my entie device. I'm ok with the ability to limit my access and require specific security settings, etc. I just didn't want any of that stuff to impact any of the cool stuff. I have 100% of my stuff in the cloud. I have redundant clouds. If my system is wiped right now, the only ting I lose is a short amount of time to reinstall...so, we'll see

Fast-T

Nov 6, 2017
Visit site
Move everything work related - including intune - to the secure folder and you will not have to give intune administrator rights to your device. Just the secure folder will be controlled by Intune

BaritoneGuy

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Move everything work related - including intune - to the secure folder and you will not have to give intune administrator rights to your device. Just the secure folder will be controlled by Intune

Actually that's not quite the way it works. It depends on how Intune has been setup by your administrator. Also, whether they require the device to be enrolled or just registered with intune. As a further note if you configure an Exchange account then EAS can wipe your device regardless of the Intune settings.

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the insight. Did not know that

Yeah, it's all about security. A company protecting itself. I can't argue that. The protection has gotten more defined and prescriptive in the last couple of years so the impact is not as heavy. But in the back of your mind is always the thought that your device can be wiped.

In the last 25 years or so of various management systems, I have been wiped once. I also intentionally initiated the sequence to see how it worked.. so it's not as horrible and weighty as it may sound.

Depending on your device, you may lose some features. The choice becomes whether you want the features or the ability to work. Just let than 2 years ago smart Lock... And unlock was not allowed. Now it is I'm not sure how much the Samsung Microsoft alliance had changed the conditions. But I can't imagine much. Still comes down to security

BaritoneGuy

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it's all about security. A company protecting itself. I can't argue that. The protection has gotten more defined and prescriptive in the last couple of years so the impact is not as heavy. But in the back of your mind is always the thought that your device can be wiped.

In the last 25 years or so of various management systems, I have been wiped once. I also intentionally initiated the sequence to see how it worked.. so it's not as horrible and weighty as it may sound.

Depending on your device, you may lose some features. The choice becomes whether you want the features or the ability to work. Just let than 2 years ago smart Lock... And unlock was not allowed. Now it is I'm not sure how much the Samsung Microsoft alliance had changed the conditions. But I can't imagine much. Still comes down to security

I am lucky in that I am the one that defines the security policies for the devices so I am careful to find the balance between free reign and locked down to the nth degree.

I once actually got myself into a bit of a loop where I sent the wipe command for my device to see what it looked like. I got the device back up and the moment it connected to Exchange it wiped the device again. Scratching my head for a minute I realized that because the device was wiped there was no way for it to report back that the wipe was successful so it left it pending. Once I removed the wipe setting and set it up again all was well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadadmusa45